The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2024, 08:16 AM   #1
Galveo
"TRF" Member

Icon20 How to beat the wait?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so first and foremost hello everyone!

I have always had an interest in watches and currently own an Omega SMP. I have been fortunate enough to own several other brands over the years such as Hamilton and some micro brands.

I have always had an interest in Rolex, but only recently started looking at one as a serious purchase.

I have tired on several models at my local AD here in the UK, it might be the most boring choice to some but i instantly fell in love with the 41mm no date SUB.

I have been on the “registered interest” list for over 7 months and have maintained good contact with the AD to make them know I’m still very interested in purchasing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on expediting the process or how I can ask if any models are available without being too forceful?

Look forward to your feedback.
Galveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 09:01 AM   #2
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
Unfortunately lately the only way to beat the list is going grey or spend a ton of money on jewelry you don’t really want.
Good luck
Old 1 February 2024, 09:33 AM   #3
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Write a check, skip the line.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 09:34 AM   #4
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Also, consider an SD43 if you can pull it off. Wait will be much shorter.
Old 1 February 2024, 09:51 AM   #5
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
ADs operate on the rule “Money talks and BS walks” for the most part.

Go grey.
Old 1 February 2024, 10:02 AM   #6
JasoninDenver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Trusted seller here on the forums is the best way to go if you are not willing to wait or spend a ton on other jewelry or watches.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 10:10 AM   #7
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

You need to ask for a Daytona first, then work down. Eventually, pretend like you'll settle for a Rolex Sub, and they'll get one from the back to get rid of you.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 10:13 AM   #8
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
You need to ask for a Daytona first, then work down. Eventually, pretend like you'll settle for a Rolex Sub, and they'll get one from the back to get rid of you.
I can’t tell if you are joking, but that would probably work…
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 10:51 AM   #9
painexpert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Trusted seller here on the forums is the best way to go if you are not willing to wait or spend a ton on other jewelry or watches.
The problem is the "trusted sellers" prices are very high.
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 10:52 AM   #10
Flypanam

I might have a bit of a different perspective. My most recent purchase was a DJ36 in mint green. I originally expressed interest in a different watch early last year, but last November stopped in and told my AD I wanted to change over to a DJ41. I didn't tell them it was because I actually obtained the other watch from a different AD lol. Still.. Less than a week later, they offered me a mint DJ41 with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. I declined, as I specifically asked for fluted bezel and jubilee.

AD was understanding, stating I should wait for what I truly want. As a side note - I'm surprised that this sentiment of "buying what you want" is lost on some people who get caught up in the chase for a rolex, any rolex.

Fast forward to last Saturday. I stopped in again, wanting to try a DJ41 vs a DJ36 back to back. I ended up preferring the DJ36 and let them know. 5 days later (literally last Thursday) I was offered a Mint DJ36 with fluted bezel and jubilee, my exact desired watch. I've been enjoying it since!

There are certainly lists, but there is also a distinct component of "right place right time" IMHO. Checking in by text/email is also good, but physically going in and engaging with the salespeople puts a face to your name, builds rapport, and keeps you fresh in their memory. My AD even told me "I saw this DJ36 come in, and thought to myself... wait I just saw a guy that wanted this exact one!".

I think if you look around, you'll find other stories where someone pops into the AD and shortly afterwards they get a call or text.

I have never once paid for anything I didn't actually want from an AD. Not one piece of jewelry. Not one non-Rolex watch (at a Rolex AD). Not one Rolex that I did NOT want. Longest I've ever waited for a watch was about 5-6 months.
Best of the rest: Tudor BB Chrono Reverse Panda; Panerai Luminor PAM1085 Blu Mare; Hermes H08 Madison LE; Ming 17.09 Burgundy; Nomos Tangente 50 ans de Médecins Sans Frontières
Flypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 11:05 AM   #11
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
How to beat the wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypanam View Post
I might have a bit of a different perspective. My most recent purchase was a DJ36 in mint green. I originally expressed interest in a different watch early last year, but last November stopped in and told my AD I wanted to change over to a DJ41. I didn't tell them it was because I actually obtained the other watch from a different AD lol. Still.. Less than a week later, they offered me a mint DJ41 with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. I declined, as I specifically asked for fluted bezel and jubilee.

AD was understanding, stating I should wait for what I truly want. As a side note - I'm surprised that this sentiment of "buying what you want" is lost on some people who get caught up in the chase for a rolex, any rolex.

Fast forward to last Saturday. I stopped in again, wanting to try a DJ41 vs a DJ36 back to back. I ended up preferring the DJ36 and let them know. 5 days later (literally last Thursday) I was offered a Mint DJ36 with fluted bezel and jubilee, my exact desired watch. I've been enjoying it since!

There are certainly lists, but there is also a distinct component of "right place right time" IMHO. Checking in by text/email is also good, but physically going in and engaging with the salespeople puts a face to your name, builds rapport, and keeps you fresh in their memory. My AD even told me "I saw this DJ36 come in, and thought to myself... wait I just saw a guy that wanted this exact one!".

I think if you look around, you'll find other stories where someone pops into the AD and shortly afterwards they get a call or text.

I have never once paid for anything I didn't actually want from an AD. Not one piece of jewelry. Not one non-Rolex watch (at a Rolex AD). Not one Rolex that I did NOT want. Longest I've ever waited for a watch was about 5-6 months.

I can second what this guy says, because I used the same approach. My SA even said to me, “Why should I call someone, who is just a name and a phone number, when I can call someone, whose face I can picture, and with whom I’ve spent some time?” Oh, and a no date Sub is hardly boring, but rather an icon!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 11:12 AM   #12
Milkshake
Banned

When you go to the supermarket do you think, “how can I skip this line”? I just stand there and accept the situation. But, if another cash suddenly opens I’ll gladly get in right away, maybe motion someone to go first if I’m inclined.

Same with ADs. Get in line, hopefully luck will have it you won’t have to wait as long as expected.
Milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 11:13 AM   #13
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Well apparently, it is not the "most boring" choice to Rolex buyers and hence, it is hard to get from an AD.

The advice given is good. If you want the watch now without going through a long process with an AD including spending money there on unneeded things, buy one used, in new unworn condition, from a reliable seller.

Welcome to the Forum.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 11:39 AM   #14
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Visiting in person is nice if there is one close, the two closest to me are 2 and 3 hours away…
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 01:06 PM   #15
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If they don't sell other things you want (because being in the shop spending money gets you noticed and remembered) I suggest you go to the pre owned market and pay the difference. Reminding an AD that you want a best selling icon probably won't move the needle.

The Swiss Watch Co. and Tempo and Time are two in the UK I would not hesitate to recommend. There are plenty of others with good reputations. Chrono 24 is a start point for researching the UK market and the companies who sell in it. Always buy the seller before you even consider parting with your money.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 01:20 PM   #16
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
The markup on a Sub (ND) isn't all that bad and remember, you can always sell if for about what you paid.

There are no shortcuts. You either wait longer than you want, buy stuff you don't want, or go to a reseller.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 01:28 PM   #17
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
That's actually a worthwhile strategy!

Otherwise, OP, go grey, and leave the shenanigans behind... Life is too short. You'll save fuel depending on your location to your AD, valuable time, headache, and a sense of dignity in massaging the AD's ego. Whether that sense of "dignity" means paying more is entirely on you. According to your post, looks like you're halfway there!

Lastly, don't be afraid to at least negotiate with the grey seller, depending on what reference you're after.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 04:02 PM   #18
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

They really don't have a reason to sell one to you

Sounds stupid, but they need that watch to sell to others who buy continually and spend $$$$.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 04:07 PM   #19
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
There’s no way to game the system, OP. Be patient, be kind and show steady interest or buy your way to the front of the line with a trusted seller. Patient and kind has always worked for me but it’s your call.

Welcome to the forum.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 04:49 PM   #20
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Go grey , the premium on a new one isn’t that bad or ask for a sea dweller the wait for those isn’t as bad.
Old 2 February 2024, 12:35 AM   #21
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

In person visits work best. That’s if you want to wait.

And a Sub is a classic. If offered, buy it!

Otherwise, go grey and negotiate hard on the watch. Stick only to established and trusted sellers, don’t avoid that just because someone has a lower price. You are buying the seller and security.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 12:45 AM   #22
prushkovez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by painexpert View Post
The problem is the "trusted sellers" prices are very high.
Typically prices at local “trusted sellers” are on average 30% ridiculously higher in comparison with brick and mortar grey guys… but surprisingly for some reason they are constantly promoted here…
Old 2 February 2024, 12:46 AM   #23
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Find the watch you want from a Trusted source other than an AD. Negotiate the best price possible and pay. Have the watch you want without the wait and frustration. No such thing as lists and AD sell watches to who they want, when they want. Good luck and the Submariner-C ND is a great watch and my current favorite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231114_110341 (002).jpg (78.1 KB, 1537 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 04:54 AM   #24
Galveo
"TRF" Member

Well what a response! I’m absolutely overwhelmed by all the feedback, advice and warm welcome. Thanks so much for all the comments.

I’m going to digest all the feedback people have given so far and have a think about my next steps.

I’m certainly in no rush, but at the same point I don’t want to wait years.

Thanks so much and I welcome in any more comments .
Galveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 05:14 AM   #25
Submariner868
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveo View Post
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so first and foremost hello everyone!

I have always had an interest in watches and currently own an Omega SMP. I have been fortunate enough to own several other brands over the years such as Hamilton and some micro brands.

I have always had an interest in Rolex, but only recently started looking at one as a serious purchase.

I have tired on several models at my local AD here in the UK, it might be the most boring choice to some but i instantly fell in love with the 41mm no date SUB.

I have been on the “registered interest” list for over 7 months and have maintained good contact with the AD to make them know I’m still very interested in purchasing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on expediting the process or how I can ask if any models are available without being too forceful?

Look forward to your feedback.
If I may - 7 months is not that long of a wait for a Sub. Folks wait a lot longer. My advice is to maintain patience and presence with the AD.
Submariner868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 05:17 AM   #26
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner868 View Post
If I may - 7 months is not that long of a wait for a Sub. Folks wait a lot longer. My advice is to maintain patience and presence with the AD.

Yup! Check in, in person, monthly. Also, keep in mind, I waited a full year for my Oyster Perpetual, and you are waiting on a Sub.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 05:23 AM   #27
GotRolex
"TRF" Member

Pay a premium for lightning lane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GotRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 07:01 AM   #28
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Especially for ND Sub which trades relatively close to retail, I’d go grey. No sense waiting for that watch. Pay a few extra bucks and jump the line.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 10:41 AM   #29
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
The markup on a Sub (ND) isn't all that bad and remember, you can always sell if for about what you paid.

There are no shortcuts. You either wait longer than you want, buy stuff you don't want, or go to a reseller.
I disagree.

Got my SD43 pretty quick in the heat of the hype. Yes, I know not a sub, but I like it better. Correct watch for me.

Got my Explorer II Polar about 8 months later.

Now my Ad is in a remodel or I am certain I would have got something else.

No worries, I am good. Picked up a Pelagos 42 Blue and a Super Ocean for my wife in the meantime. My Ad knows I am genuine, I am happy with my collection.

BTW, the Blue Pelagos is an amazing watch. Realize happy with the purchase
Old 2 February 2024, 12:05 PM   #30
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Easy. Buy diamonds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote