The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 February 2024, 09:43 AM   #1
rockysw
"TRF" Member

IWC Mark XX vs XViii

Anyone have both IWC Mark XViii and XX (or had them at some point).

I am very keen on the mark series (black dial) but unsure between the two. Mark XViii is all matte finish (including hands and bracelet), XX has some shiny parts along with longer power reserve and quick exchange.

At fist instance I like the XViii more but my concern is that I will get bored of it quickly where as XX has some interesting elements (along with quick change which should keep things interesting).

So a long term review of either (or both) would be very helpful.

Thanks!
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 03:58 PM   #2
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I had the mk18 for a bit, ended up selling it to get a spitfire. Been debating switching to the xx but prob will wait for a ceramic case version. The main complaint I had for the 18 was the date was lined up slightly too far left. Proportion wise the spitfire looks more pleasing but at the same time don't like the fauxtina as much. I do think the xx is a good upgrade over the 18 personally. This is really nit picky but my 18 movement tick was more of a hollow ping sound that wasn't that pleasing to the snick sound of other watches I've owned.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 04:37 PM   #3
tsekh
"TRF" Member

I have a Mark XX for over a year now. Wear it at least a few days a week, awesome watch. I bought it with leather strap and then ordered the stainless steel bracelet separately. The bracelet is extremely comfortable and the micro adjustment mechanism is awesome. Ordering the bracelet separately took a while for it to arrive. I’d suggest getting the version with the bracelet, and then order the leather straps separately. The straps are always available, but they may not have the bracelet in stock to be sold separately.

There were some issues with the movement when it first came out. I have read many negative user reviews when the Mark XX first released. I had issue with mine as well. Within a month of purchase the watch was losing close to 20 seconds a day. IWC repaired my watch under warranty and the watch has been running perfectly since then (more than a year now). So I think the movement issues have been addressed.

Btw, I have the green dial version. If I didn’t have other pilot watches in black dial, I’d probably get the black dial since that’s the most classic dial. I thought I’d get the version with blue dial, as always like blue dial watches and I didn’t care about the green dial as it looked kind of meh on the website. However, when I went into IWC to try them on and saw the green dial version, I changed my mind immediately. The green dial version is really breathtaking in person. You should definitely check them out in person before you buy.
tsekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 09:58 AM   #4
rockysw
"TRF" Member

thanks both very helpful comments.
Old 11 February 2024, 09:58 AM   #5
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekh View Post
I have a Mark XX for over a year now. Wear it at least a few days a week, awesome watch. I bought it with leather strap and then ordered the stainless steel bracelet separately. The bracelet is extremely comfortable and the micro adjustment mechanism is awesome. Ordering the bracelet separately took a while for it to arrive. I’d suggest getting the version with the bracelet, and then order the leather straps separately. The straps are always available, but they may not have the bracelet in stock to be sold separately.

There were some issues with the movement when it first came out. I have read many negative user reviews when the Mark XX first released. I had issue with mine as well. Within a month of purchase the watch was losing close to 20 seconds a day. IWC repaired my watch under warranty and the watch has been running perfectly since then (more than a year now). So I think the movement issues have been addressed.

Btw, I have the green dial version. If I didn’t have other pilot watches in black dial, I’d probably get the black dial since that’s the most classic dial. I thought I’d get the version with blue dial, as always like blue dial watches and I didn’t care about the green dial as it looked kind of meh on the website. However, when I went into IWC to try them on and saw the green dial version, I changed my mind immediately. The green dial version is really breathtaking in person. You should definitely check them out in person before you buy.
I will do that! Plan to go to London next month and will pop by the boutique.
Old 11 February 2024, 09:59 AM   #6
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I had the mk18 for a bit, ended up selling it to get a spitfire. Been debating switching to the xx but prob will wait for a ceramic case version. The main complaint I had for the 18 was the date was lined up slightly too far left. Proportion wise the spitfire looks more pleasing but at the same time don't like the fauxtina as much. I do think the xx is a good upgrade over the 18 personally. This is really nit picky but my 18 movement tick was more of a hollow ping sound that wasn't that pleasing to the snick sound of other watches I've owned.
The date window didnt bother me when I tried it on a while ago. But it is my concern that overtime I may start to notice it. I am also thinking that XX is a good upgrade and leaning more towards it.
Old 11 February 2024, 04:12 PM   #7
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I own and prefer the mark xviii. I have no need / use for the shiny parts of the new, only positive i have to say about it if the shorter lugs which would make the watch look even better on my wrist.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 09:36 AM   #8
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I own and prefer the mark xviii. I have no need / use for the shiny parts of the new, only positive i have to say about it if the shorter lugs which would make the watch look even better on my wrist.
true, the shorter lug to lug makes it more wrist friendly.
Old 13 February 2024, 03:02 PM   #9
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Prefer the Mark XX. Longer power reserve, dimensions that wear more comfortably are the two primary reasons for me.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 06:42 PM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

I couldn't do the date on the Mark XVIII. The XX is a better in that respect but not perfect either. Then there are the shiny parts I don't like on a tool watch. The XX bracelet looks a lot worse than the fabulous all-brushed pyramid bracelet of the early 2000s.

For me the Mark XV remains the best compromise among all the Mark series watches also considering its 38mm size. Speaking about getting bored I have to admit I am just that after many years of ownership since new. Have hardly worn it for a few years and it will likely have to go.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 11:57 PM   #11
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Like my Mark 18. I am not very OCD. Fine with the date placement.The very model of a pilot’s watch.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote