The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 March 2024, 02:06 AM   #1
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Fleming Series 1

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/a...ming-series-1/

New watch release by Thomas Fleming - The Fleming Series 1

IMG_20240311_235037_(850_x_850_pixel).jpg
IMG_20240311_235127_(850_x_850_pixel).jpg
IMG_20240311_235139_(850_x_850_pixel).jpg
IMG_20240311_235105_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg

The Fleming Series 1 is a simple time-only watch that is being launched in rose gold, platinum, and tantalum. The case measures 38.5mm wide and 9mm thick with a 46.5mm lug-to-lug dimension.

The Caliber FM-01 was developed with renowned movement maker Jean-François Mojon alongside his team at Chronode. The dial is by Comblémine and they are hand guilloche.

The Tantalum version with aventurine dial will be limited to 25 pieces with a price of 45,500 CHF, the Rose gold version will be limited to 7 pieces with a price of 48,500 CHF, and the platinum version will be limited to 9 pieces with a price of 51,500 CHF.

My view: the movement is fabulously finished and the watch is perfectly sized. The lugs are pretty and the Comblémine dial never disappoints. This is a very solid launch. I like it enough to start a thread on this watch.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 02:19 AM   #2
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Those lugs and indices are fantastic!
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 03:07 AM   #3
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watches, I'm assuming these are already sold out?
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 03:22 AM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Beautiful watches, I'm assuming these are already sold out?
I'm not certain but there is a link for inquiry in the site:
https://www.fleming.watch/
Old 12 March 2024, 04:02 AM   #5
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Personally, I feel like this doesn't have much personality to it, it feels bland & uninspired.

The finishing is nice but nothing special.

Design is not offensive, but nothing special.

Movement is nice, but nothing special.

The price point is also very, very aggressive for a new brand.

The case, I do like. I can't tell if this is just the pic or if the welds are actually rough:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C356grCRSsH/?img_index=1

Can anyone tell?
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 04:42 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Attractive but the same old song really. Nothing new. Feels like a czapek for more money.
Old 12 March 2024, 08:13 AM   #7
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Production and design of the watch is 100% outsourced, albeit to high-end manufacturers. Although I admire the founder’s passion, the outcome feels generic.
Old 12 March 2024, 08:14 AM   #8
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Nice looking watches but at that price point there’s just too many other watches I’d consider.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 11:33 AM   #9
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I think it looks great all around, but lots to choose from at this price range. Would love to see side by side comparisons with Gronefeld, Moritz grossmann, rexhep, etc..

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 01:15 PM   #10
dchang81

The lug attachment to the case reminds me of the unfinished horse meme. Doing well then just mailed it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unfinished_horse.jpg (114.9 KB, 477 views)
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 02:22 PM   #11
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

To be fair, most independents with that level of finishing price their watches beyond CHF 60k. Kari's Vingt-8 is CHF 95k (platinum), and the RRCCII is CHF 130k. The margin for him is not great after paying Chronode for the movement/finishing, and Comblémine (Comblémine could charge more than 5-digit for each dial depending on the specs). Total pieces for the Series 1 are only 25+7+9=41 which are not many.
Old 12 March 2024, 04:41 PM   #12
Rexhepi
"TRF" Member

Agreed, this whole thing is a great example that the whole is not greater than its parts.
Fleming made his fortune from crypto and wanted to be the next Richard Mille, so he basically just tossed money at this project and thought he could pay his way in.
This is just an unoriginal product when you combine a movement from the guy that did MB&F / Czapek, a dial from Kari, a case inspired by Vacheron, and a logo made by a design house that worked for Louis Vuitton. If you type all this in an AI image generator you’ll probably get something that looks just like the Fleming.

Goes to show money can’t buy taste. I’ll take a Simon Brette over this any day. Or a Rexhepi, or a Gronefeld, and the list goes on. All of those are actual watchmakers, not just some rich kid who has money to burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Attractive but the same old song really. Nothing new. Feels like a czapek for more money.
Rexhepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 06:03 PM   #13
corky
"TRF" Member

Lugs are not to my liking…… seem at odds with the rest of the design, they surely arent an afterthought, but that’s how they appear to me from a design perspective.
corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 12:52 AM   #14
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexhepi View Post
Agreed, this whole thing is a great example that the whole is not greater than its parts.
Fleming made his fortune from crypto and wanted to be the next Richard Mille, so he basically just tossed money at this project and thought he could pay his way in.
This is just an unoriginal product when you combine a movement from the guy that did MB&F / Czapek, a dial from Kari, a case inspired by Vacheron, and a logo made by a design house that worked for Louis Vuitton. If you type all this in an AI image generator you’ll probably get something that looks just like the Fleming.

Goes to show money can’t buy taste. I’ll take a Simon Brette over this any day. Or a Rexhepi, or a Gronefeld, and the list goes on. All of those are actual watchmakers, not just some rich kid who has money to burn.
This is weirdly personal.

Simon Brette didn't make his own dial. Gronefeld had Andreas Strehler help design their movement, etc. And further, a Simon Brette is not a watch you can get in a reasonable time frame.

Traditionally, Swiss watches were made just this way, with many small artisans specializing in movement ebauches or cases or finishing etc.

No one has to like a watch. These ones seem pretty nice to me, let's see how it works out for them.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 06:05 AM   #15
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

The cut aways on the sides look a lot like the treatment on the Czapek Quai de Bergues. A lot...
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 06:56 AM   #16
RRJ
"TRF" Member

Completely agree with Watcheater, very boring, uninspired and mediocre release.
RRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 07:10 AM   #17
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Aforementioned lugs:
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 08:58 AM   #18
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Aforementioned lugs:
Oooof.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 10:08 AM   #19
Rexhepi
"TRF" Member

The difference, I think, is that these other independents use suppliers that organically make sense for their need, whether that is cost or a know-how. The issue with Fleming is they couldn’t come up with an enticing or original watch, so their whole platform is “Kari made the dial, MB&F made the movement, VC made the case, so look at us boys, we’re top dog haute horlogerie!”

Hence why I said just tossing money at something won’t make it good. You gotta have creative vision to bootstrap and make something cool. I don’t think Fleming has this, but he does have a lot of bitcoin money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
This is weirdly personal.

Simon Brette didn't make his own dial. Gronefeld had Andreas Strehler help design their movement, etc. And further, a Simon Brette is not a watch you can get in a reasonable time frame.

Traditionally, Swiss watches were made just this way, with many small artisans specializing in movement ebauches or cases or finishing etc.

No one has to like a watch. These ones seem pretty nice to me, let's see how it works out for them.
Rexhepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 10:11 AM   #20
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

There's a video of one of the variants here:

thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 12:09 PM   #21
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I liked it. Until I saw the price. Then it made me think I really like and would prefer the Cornes de Vache VC
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:00 PM   #22
btwistround
"TRF" Member

Good points made.

To be honest, I didn't know of his background but was intrigued by his release. Was following James Kong on IG when he announced that he was joining Fleming and knowing that I had missed out on Ming when it first launched (still need to acquire my first Ming), I didn't want to miss out before the hype train takes off.

I knew he had deep pockets with the various names he's outsourced to.

Going to watch this for a while first. Like previous posters have said, plenty of other options out there.
btwistround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 06:31 AM   #23
buddenfan
Banned

Sorry but the Fleming looks like a Chopard or Laine.

Unlike the upcoming Berneron and Toledano&Chan watches this is nothing new or unique
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 06:46 AM   #24
ts3
"TRF" Member

Not a watch I have been waiting for. Too many similar looking three handers from new brands already. This is getting old.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 11:46 AM   #25
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

They are so beautiful, and at half the price of a Vingt-8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240220_Fleming_064.jpg (152.5 KB, 255 views)
Old 14 March 2024, 11:54 AM   #26
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

These 9 carvings (there are not many watches with this level of hand-finishing). Wish the spokes are 3D instead of 2D but they are behind those gorgeous carvings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240314_095317_(900_x_600_pixel).jpg (241.6 KB, 248 views)
Old 14 March 2024, 12:03 PM   #27
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

The lovely fish scales outer ring and radial inner ring. They are Kari's signature. The hands appear 3D to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240314_100041_(900_x_600_pixel).jpg (269.1 KB, 247 views)
Old 14 March 2024, 02:53 PM   #28
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

The carvings behind remind me of the ones in the Logical One. That's a decently high watermark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Romain-Gauthier-Logical-One-Watch-2.jpg (136.5 KB, 218 views)
Old 14 March 2024, 10:15 PM   #29
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Elite finishing isn’t even in the top 3 things I look for in a watch but I see significantly better finishing work on the RG compared to this. Night and day on the anglage.

I would be fine with the finishing given my standards if the watch was interesting in any way.

This is a ship without a captain. I want there to be a face and name behind the brand that’s a watchmaking prodigy. This is like a kit car. I realize that’s the Swiss way traditionally but we are talking new age independents here not 1980s swiss conglomerates.
Old 14 March 2024, 10:37 PM   #30
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

I have probably seen enough RG to order 1 for myself, and no, the anglage is comparable. I am not referring to the Continuum obviously as it is a few steps down from L1.

Being interesting is probably the last thing I look for in a watch. I don't want an oversized frog, bulldog or spaceship on my wrist. Many Rolex owners have multiple GMT, sub and Daytona in their collection, no? They are more or less the same watch but collectors have been buying them over the generations. My point is, not everyone shares the same perspective when it comes to watches and Fleming is only selling 41 pieces.

I do not know Thomas Fleming, and whether or not he is a prodigy does not affect how I see his watches. My posts are about his watches not about him.