The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 March 2024, 11:01 AM   #1
milfordcarguy
"TRF" Member

Trying to learn more about my Submariner

Hi all,

This is my first post on here. I inherited an older submariner a few years ago with no box or papers and I am trying to learn as much as I can about it.

It is a 5513, no date, 4 line 3,xxx,xxx serial number but the 2nd digit is missing. I know its from 1973,1974 or 1975 but I am having trouble finding anything that matches it online or on chrono24. Specifically the 4 line part is what I cant seem to Match.

Is anyone able to share more about this watch? I appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2999 (1).1.2.jpg (89.5 KB, 129 views)
milfordcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:05 PM   #2
Mark020
"TRF" Member

4 line is ref 5512.....
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 06:38 PM   #3
XavierM
"TRF" Member

Hi and welcome,

This is a submariner reference 5512. In comparison with the more common 5513, this one is COSC certified. This is why you have 4 lines of text and not 2.

With a serial starting with a 3, this watch was produced between 1971 and 1975 roughly.
Dial seems to be a service replacement as the submariner line should be below the depth rating in these years. Original dial might have been damaged, water ingression for example, then changed during a service in the late 70s, early 80s.
Bezel insert (black disc where on you can read 10 20 30 etc) is also a service part. We look at the shape of the numbers in order to determine the production period. These inserts tend to change colour over time or simply catch tons of scratches, it is quite common for watchmakers to offer a change during a service.

Service parts have a tendency to kill the financial value of the watch as original ones are not produced anymore and collectors are interested in having a perfectly original watch.
You have inherited a beautiful heirloom, if you are interested in keeping the watch to wear it and are not so much into watches, no need to worry about original parts, just enjoy it like this.
If you want to restore it to its original specs, you can start with finding a period correct insert, not cheap but easily found, and start looking for a period correct dial.
People here can help.

Kind regards,
Old 13 March 2024, 08:17 PM   #4
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Welcome - There you are...good news !

A 5512 is conservatively about 7 or 8 times rarer than a 5513 (one well regarded source i spoke to thought it was 20 times rarer), as they were somewhat inexplicably (as it only meant getting a C.os.c timing cert), circa 30% more expensive than a (non C.o.s.c) 5513 at Dealers.

Thus of course most sane people bought a 5513 that were often the same accuracy, or ironically 'pot luck', could be even more accurate than any given 5512 !

Btw - You know the serial number, so worth checking (before you go off galavanting for a period 5512 dial) the other north lug engraving that the model is indeed a 5512 not a 5513.... as it is not beyond realms of possibility that a cheap 5512 dial was fitted (to a 5513), if no 5513 available.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote