The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 March 2024, 11:20 AM   #1
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Rolex - CPO

Been about a year now, so have a few questions.
Has anyone been tempted to go down the CPO route ?
Is the CPO program better than going grey ? Peace of mind compared to pricing
Does CPO mean it gets a service, or just a thorough check.
Interested in everyone’s opinions.
I think for me Panda Daytona 116 or 126 is unrealistic from AD, finding a really trustworthy Grey Dealer is a minefield, but CPO does seem to have many benefits ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:44 AM   #2
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I went CPO. I’ve never been tempted to buy a Rolex grey. Peace of mind is worth what it costs me. I believe CPO means a fresh service but I welcome correction if I’m wrong. Overall great experience.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:51 AM   #3
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Per the Rolex website, the CPO timepieces come with an international 2-year guarantee. That's what you get when you send your out-of-warranty Rolex to be serviced, so it seems logical that the CPO timepieces would have been serviced.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:55 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Are these AD's CPO watches coming from walk-in sellers, or dealers, Rolex HQ, or where/who?
Old 15 March 2024, 12:35 PM   #5
hlippy4
"TRF" Member

Rolex CPO (at Mayor's at least) is a COMPLETE RIPOFF.......walked into Mayor's at international mall....saw an entire three showcases of every Rolex imaginable.......curious I told her I was surprised after the last few years..... CPO.....ss/18K Sub 22k....list $15,600....Used from reputable gray around 17-18....response by stupid salesperson....."but we have one available"......that is why I am completely done with the Rolex BS.

I was told that some dealers....like car dealers....will find straw buyers and then get it back and put it out as CPO....... huge profit and screw the actual customer waiting.
hlippy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 12:38 PM   #6
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Are these AD's CPO watches coming from walk-in sellers, or dealers, Rolex HQ, or where/who?
The CPO pieces at the store I work at were either sold to us or traded in by customers.

When our buyer obtains the watch, he'll send it to us for a service estimate. Sometimes he just wants the watch to be refinished, but that's when the watch is still under the 5-year new-sale warranty. The watch otherwise gets a full service.

Once our buyer gets the finished watch back, he sends it to Rolex for a full inspection of our work. Rolex will do their own tests, take photos, write up new paperwork, and send the watch back to us with their blessing.
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 12:41 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Thanks
Old 15 March 2024, 12:50 PM   #8
russ86
"TRF" Member

I bought 2 pieces, Pepsi 16710 and old original kermit, the prices were a bit higher than grey maybe but weren't outrageous
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 01:37 PM   #9
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
Piece of mind cost money.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 08:50 PM   #10
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Piece of mind is ridiculously expensive, vs going with a reputable grey dealer whom you’ve done your research on, trust , done business with before, etc…
I’ve seen the prices firsthand, they’re pretty obnoxious. To each their own
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:19 PM   #11
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlippy4 View Post
I was told that some dealers....like car dealers....will find straw buyers and then get it back and put it out as CPO....... huge profit and screw the actual customer waiting.
CPO stock has to be over 3 years old so this is not the case.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:25 PM   #12
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

I sold my 16570 Polar to my AD and it is now a CPO watch for sale there. I could have gotten more selling it myself, but time and possible aggravation cost money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
The CPO pieces at the store I work at were either sold to us or traded in by customers.

When our buyer obtains the watch, he'll send it to us for a service estimate. Sometimes he just wants the watch to be refinished, but that's when the watch is still under the 5-year new-sale warranty. The watch otherwise gets a full service.

Once our buyer gets the finished watch back, he sends it to Rolex for a full inspection of our work. Rolex will do their own tests, take photos, write up new paperwork, and send the watch back to us with their blessing.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:26 PM   #13
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
Piece of mind is ridiculously expensive, vs going with a reputable grey dealer whom you’ve done your research on, trust , done business with before, etc…
Agreed. CPO prices by me are absurd and not something I'd consider. If not wanting to wait. there are reputable sellers with impeccable reputations that I fully trust.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:30 PM   #14
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
Options are always good.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:45 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The CPO program has no shame when it comes to pricing and playing to the fears of certain customers. It is not hard to find a completely reputable Trusted Seller that is honest and will stand behind the product. The issue lies mostly with the consumer. We talk about watches and sources but typically, in the end, it all comes down to money. Most consumers, myself included, want the best deal possible for the best example of the watch that can be found. But unless you can access the watch through an AD you will pay a premium. How much that is and what your tolerance is to paying more is an individual thing. My go to is DavidSW but I have done deals with most of the big sellers here on TRF and am good with the watches and my experiences. My advice, with over thirty years of buying/selling/trading and collecting, "Buy the Seller". Sounds simple and we beat it to death here on TRF, but it is the truth.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:53 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
On that reference, I’d definitely go with a trusted seller from this forum. You have no worries about authenticity etc.

You can find them all here in this thread

https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 10:32 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Half the reason people use/join this forum is for the trusted dealers and our collective endorsements, so if you are in the US or have easy access then use them.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 10:43 PM   #18
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlippy4 View Post
Magical thinking.
Old 15 March 2024, 10:56 PM   #19
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Come on... Conspiracies are fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Magical thinking.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:01 PM   #20
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

CPO is massively overpriced and takes advantage of people that don't do their research. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to their prices either.

Peace of mind is also from a trusted seller here.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:11 PM   #21
ol' Rex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post

Wow, very interesting. Thanks!

So one can pay way too much money to some used-watch salesman on the internet and hope that everything is ok, or one can pay a bit more than that and buy a watch fully tested and serviced by Rolex? a watch with a 2-year warranty? From Rolex?

I'd say the CPO program is an excellent option for those who can't get what they want at retail.
Old 15 March 2024, 11:21 PM   #22
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Saw a few CPO pieces at Mayors in Boca and I couldn't help but laugh when the SA gave me the price for a polar I wanted.

CPO was not designed for TRF users where we have the chance to interact with individuals that source and sell watches for a living...

Between a trusted independent reseller and CPO, there is no added peace of mind in my opinion.

My most recent acquisition was $7K without box, papers or service history. That same watch was $13K CPO ...

I could get a service pouch, a warranty card and a receipt if I send this in to Rolex for a $700 service. All in... under $8K. CPO does not make any financial sense.
Old 15 March 2024, 11:28 PM   #23
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
Hype and FOMO are ridiculously expensive in the free market as well. Maybe CPO isn’t the best venue for those pieces. Then again maybe it’s a better strategy not to chase the latest bright shiny thing.
Old 15 March 2024, 11:37 PM   #24
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
Come on... Conspiracies are fun!
Indeed. If nothing else they reliably breed engagement.
Old 15 March 2024, 11:41 PM   #25
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Hype and FOMO are ridiculously expensive in the free market as well. Maybe CPO isn’t the best venue for those pieces. Then again maybe it’s a better strategy not to chase the latest bright shiny thing.

Yes, I’d say hype and fomo are an AD, AD selling CPO, and grey dealers best friend.
Chasing the latest shiny thing….as I said…to each their own. As an adult, it’s your life, your money, chase…don’t chase, spend, don’t spend…whatever. Enjoy life responsibly is good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:44 PM   #26
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Logically it’s still cheaper to buy a used piece from a reputable source, then pay the $1k for a Rolex service both authenticating and warranting the watch. Until those prices are on par, CPO doesn’t make much sense for me.
Barada7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:50 PM   #27
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN
How much is peace of mind worth?

I will give an example...

You can pick up a CPO 2020 White Skydweller from Toruneau for $26k + tax....

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/rol...RX9736175.html

Or you can buy a BRAND NEW 2024 for $18k from a trusted seller on TRF.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ghlight=326934

Or if you want to go down the route of a larger grey, you can go to Bobs Watches and get a used 2019 for $20k....
https://www.bobswatches.com/used-rol...hite-dial.html

I would take the 2024 all day. $8k cheaper and with a 5 year warranty as opposed to a 2 year. New V used. It is not even a question.

If you really have an issue with paying TRF trusted sellers, then you could always fly to where they are located and take a few days vacation while there. This particular one, who just happend to be the first that came up in my search, is in Nevada. I would take the $8k saving and have a great time in Vegas!

Prices are dropping, but Rolex CPO ADs are pricing like it is 2021.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:06 AM   #28
EzraPound
"TRF" Member

Maybe I'm too critical but I find it disappointing that CPO watches in many cases do not have the correct (factory #) of bracelet links; especially in the case of Rolex Day-Dates.

EzraPound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:06 AM   #29
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffs View Post
How much is peace of mind worth?

I will give an example...

You can pick up a CPO 2020 White Skydweller from Toruneau for $26k + tax....

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/rol...RX9736175.html

Or you can buy a BRAND NEW 2024 for $18k from a trusted seller on TRF.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ghlight=326934

Or if you want to go down the route of a larger grey, you can go to Bobs Watches and get a used 2019 for $20k....
https://www.bobswatches.com/used-rol...hite-dial.html

I would take the 2024 all day. $8k cheaper and with a 5 year warranty as opposed to a 2 year. New V used. It is not even a question.

If you really have an issue with paying TRF trusted sellers, then you could always fly to where they are located and take a few days vacation while there. This particular one, who just happend to be the first that came up in my search, is in Nevada. I would take the $8k saving and have a great time in Vegas!

Prices are dropping, but Rolex CPO ADs are pricing like it is 2021.
The answer is simple, piece of mind isn’t worth that much and to me a Skydweller isn’t worth any price. If a CPO price on a given watch is more than you want to pay then don’t pay it, I’m totally down with that, but these extreme examples don’t invalidate the whole program. There’s a deep Rolex back catalog of interesting pieces that will show up in CPO. This is where the value lies.
Old 16 March 2024, 12:16 AM   #30
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraPound View Post
Maybe I'm too critical but I find it disappointing that CPO watches in many cases do not have the correct (factory #) of bracelet links; especially in the case of Rolex Day-Dates
Rolex has not yet mandated a set number of links required for a CPO watch. I have pushed to include the number of links a new bracelet would have in my estimates, and thankfully our buyer has been receptive to that. I do hope link count becomes the requirement across the board.
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote