The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 March 2024, 04:03 AM   #1
ellipses
"TRF" Member

Indentifying grandfathers old watch he acquired in the early 70s.

My dad pulled out this old watch recently. It says brevet on it and modele depose also 6204.

Everything about it confuses me though. He replaced the band in the 90s (oof) and it looks to have some wild configuration of a face and hands. Any ideas about what it is?

He claims his dad got it in the early 70s or so.

ellipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 04:12 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

6204 is an early Submariner (1950s), which is very cool. The bezel insert is from a mid-to-late 1960s Sub, I believe. I don't recognize the dial and handset at first glance. Looks like a 1950s dial of some sort, maybe from a big bubbleback reference.

Looks kind of cool, except for the bracelet. :-)
Old 18 March 2024, 04:25 AM   #3
ellipses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
6204 is an early Submariner (1950s), which is very cool. The bezel insert is from a mid-to-late 1960s Sub, I believe. I don't recognize the dial and handset at first glance. Looks like a 1950s dial of some sort, maybe from a big bubbleback reference.
The closest thing I could find to compare the dial to was this.

But even then it's missing the same chronometer markings and obviously the color. This one has really stumped me lol. Never seen anything like it.
Old 18 March 2024, 04:26 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipses View Post
The closest thing I could find to compare the dial to was this.

But even then it's missing the same chronometer markings and obviously the color. This one has really stumped me lol. Never seen anything like it.
I'm not sure what there is to be stumped about. I think you have it figured out. You may not be able to determine the exact reference that the dial came from. But it wouldn't be a 34mm reference, I think it would be from a jumbo model with a bubbleback movement. Could even have come out of a gold case. Google ovetonne or big bubbleback.
Old 18 March 2024, 04:30 AM   #5
ellipses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what there is to be stumped about. I think you have it figured out. You may not be able to determine the exact reference that the dial came from. But it wouldn't be a 34mm reference, I think it would be from a model with a bubbleback movement, like a 6098 or something like that.
I don't have the same familiarity or confidence with Rolex as you and others here seem to have so I think I'll just be forever stumped 😆

I'm planning on getting a nicer bracelet for it and just enjoying it as something passed down in the family, even if it's a fake it's exciting to know my grandpa was wearing it back in the 70s.
Old 18 March 2024, 04:33 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipses View Post
I don't have the same familiarity or confidence with Rolex as you and others here seem to have so I think I'll just be forever stumped ��

I'm planning on getting a nicer bracelet for it and just enjoying it as something passed down in the family, even if it's a fake it's exciting to know my grandpa was wearing it back in the 70s.
That's a good decision, IMO. Restoring it to originality would be extremely difficult and expensive, and because of the sentimental value, selling it for parts would be sad.

BTW, it's not fake. Remember that these watches were not as precious and collectible 60-70 years ago, and if a watch got damaged, people may have repaired it with the parts they had at hand.
Old 18 March 2024, 04:36 AM   #7
ellipses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a good decision, IMO. Restoring it to originality would be extremely difficult and expensive, and because of the sentimental value, selling it for parts would be sad. It's not fake. Remember that these watches were not as precious and collectible 60-70 years ago, and if a watch got damaged, people may have repaired it with the parts they had at hand.
True! I think what has confused me the most while looking has been not being able to find a dial that has that look but also doesn't have "certified chronograph" on it.

Being this old makes it hard to pinpoint the pieces of it.
Old 18 March 2024, 04:44 AM   #8
ellipses
"TRF" Member

Also, the number on the side is (I believe) 928545. It's very hard to tell honestly.
Old 18 March 2024, 04:53 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I think you mean chronometer, not chronograph.

As I mentioned, there were dozens of different dial configurations, you will not always (or even usually) be able to find an exact match. Some were chronometer, some non-chronometer. Some say precision at the bottom, some say officially certified chronometer, some say chronometer, some say shock-resisting, occasionally there is nothing at the bottom. I don't see that often, but it doesn't shock me because there was so much variation. It's also possible that the dial was repainted, the markers and logo/coronet appear to be embossed. Frankly, even if you do manage to find an exact match, that won't change anything about the watch.

The serial number would be consistent with 1953-ish, before the serial reset, which makes sense for a 6204.
Old 18 March 2024, 05:55 AM   #10
N0trub
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Super cool watch and you will never see another one. Get a nice originalish bracelet to compliment.
N0trub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 02:01 PM   #11
ellipses
"TRF" Member

Here are some additional photos I got. We don't have any tools to open the back and check the inside of the case at all.

I did notice that the crown seems to not be an original for the 6204 as well, if I'm correct.
Old 19 March 2024, 06:06 PM   #12
Scaramanga74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Here you go :)

https://www.interwatches.com/rolex-d...ref6204-p53140
Scaramanga74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 07:58 PM   #13
Andad

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 08:13 PM   #14
77T

That dial is a puzzle and the sweep seconds hand, too.

It seems as though past repair and refurbishment has yielded it "one of a kind" status.

Does it seem to you that the radium lume dots have been removed? Or are they just darkened plots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2024, 01:59 AM   #15
ellipses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
That dial is a puzzle and the sweep seconds hand, too.

It seems as though past repair and refurbishment has yielded it "one of a kind" status.

Does it seem to you that the radium lume dots have been removed? Or are they just darkened plots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Definitely a one of a kind ��

If you're referring to the spots on above the 1, 5, 7, and 11 markers then I do believe those are still there and have not been removed.

From all the dings and scratches on it, I was assuming it must have been heavily worn which lead to the replacement parts.

It seems like most of the dial, hands, bezel, and crown were available as parts in the 60s so maybe that's when they did it?

I will say that the watch runs great still. Not being super familiar with Rolex I'm also surprised how quiet it is. I can only really hear it in a very quiet room, up to my ear, and if I'm focusing really hard. ��
Old 20 March 2024, 02:12 AM   #16
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
That is a very cool piece!

I can't help in ID'ing it (sorry) but I'd love to see it on a new bracelet or strap and a clean crystal. I'd also have it serviced by someone familiar with old Rolex movements (Phillip Ridley comes up often) and wear the heck out of it!

I also wouldn't have it near water until a service is completed.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote