The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2024, 04:43 PM   #1
Tallbark
"TRF" Member

Thinking about letting the Daytoma go...

So, I have the latest Daytona in steel. It's a nice watch, but the wearing excitement doesn't match the value of the watch somehow. It is not related in any way to my financial situation, I don't need the money. This is something else. Disregarding the Daytona hype etc I think I would be more happy with a SUB or GMT. The more toolish look is more my style I think.

Disregarding the transaction details and only looking at the following models, I have a hard time deciding. It stands between these models with their pros and cons - what would you say?

1. GMT2 - Batman. Pros - as a pilot, I like the GMT model. I like the blue more than the red. But, the "old" maxi case and some says that it is due for an update. It would be interesting to see a new GMT with the SUB 41 proportions. So - bad move?

2. GMT Root Beer - now this one looks handsome. Same cons as Batman, and in addition this model doesn't seem that popular. Not that it should matter but reselling would be bad I guess

3. SUB 41 ND - a bit boring maybe but a very safe choice. I can get one at a very good price.

4. SUB 41 Date LV - More expensive, but maybe a bit of color that makes it stand out a little and maybe not as common as the standard SUB

I like all three of them - what would be your suggestion?
Tallbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 04:50 PM   #2
painexpert
Banned

Batman GMT
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:03 PM   #3
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

My suggestion is to wait a few weeks and see what happens at W&W. Keep in mind there is a chance the BLNR will be discontinued, so there is a risk of prices skyrocketing. But I believe as a pilot, it's a no brainer to get a GMT nevertheless. My second suggestion is for you sell me your Daytona for MSRP.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:03 PM   #4
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Think you will get the most utility out of a BLNR or 124060; would prefer a 126610 as i am a big fan of the date function myself
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:20 PM   #5
Watcher09
"TRF" Member

If BLNR gets discontinued, it won’t skyrocket, because 1) it’s not rare and 2) if they discontinue, they ll provide snother popular GMT to replace it, like a righty sprite

I dont think that anything will happen with the “maxi” case. Why? I own both a GMT and a sub and the GMT is noticeably smaller, both the case and the overall
Watcher09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:27 PM   #6
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher09 View Post
If BLNR gets discontinued, it won’t skyrocket, because 1) it’s not rare and 2) if they discontinue, they ll provide snother popular GMT to replace it, like a righty sprite

I dont think that anything will happen with the “maxi” case. Why? I own both a GMT and a sub and the GMT is noticeably smaller, both the case and the overall
GMT BLNR is more comfortable than the sub41
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:48 PM   #7
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
Well, not the ND Sub.

If you're losing the Daytona it lacks, "Wearing excitement," and you can describe the ND Sub as, "A bit boring maybe," then it's not for you.
PenDelicate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:53 PM   #8
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
From your options I like the CHNR the best. Probably the prettiest GMT ever made imho.

If the Daytona doesn’t make you smile indeed change it
Old 22 March 2024, 06:21 PM   #9
aiif
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbark View Post
So, I have the latest Daytona in steel. It's a nice watch, but the wearing excitement doesn't match the value of the watch somehow. It is not related in any way to my financial situation, I don't need the money. This is something else. Disregarding the Daytona hype etc I think I would be more happy with a SUB or GMT. The more toolish look is more my style I think.

Disregarding the transaction details and only looking at the following models, I have a hard time deciding. It stands between these models with their pros and cons - what would you say?

1. GMT2 - Batman. Pros - as a pilot, I like the GMT model. I like the blue more than the red. But, the "old" maxi case and some says that it is due for an update. It would be interesting to see a new GMT with the SUB 41 proportions. So - bad move?

2. GMT Root Beer - now this one looks handsome. Same cons as Batman, and in addition this model doesn't seem that popular. Not that it should matter but reselling would be bad I guess

3. SUB 41 ND - a bit boring maybe but a very safe choice. I can get one at a very good price.

4. SUB 41 Date LV - More expensive, but maybe a bit of color that makes it stand out a little and maybe not as common as the standard SUB

I will advice you go for the Hulk with the green bezel
aiif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 06:28 PM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher09 View Post

I guarantee it will skyrocket, even if it’s just for a few months until it goes back down. That’s just how the Rolex hype machine works. It is especially going to be the case for a watch that’s always traded over retail and is waitlisted. Once it’s taken off the catalogue, you’ll have the demand vs supply gap widen more and more. The ones who wanted the BLNR will still want it despite Rolex releasing a new color bezel, like the Coke.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:05 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Myself not a fan of the modern Daytona but got to ask why did you buy it was its simply because of the hype,or perceived value. Its not all about ££$$€€ what owning a Rolex should be about wearing and enjoying it. So sell the Daytona and buy a watch you yourself want to own and wear.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:20 PM   #12
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
GMT is a no brainer IMHO. It wears beautifully, and has a slight pop of color without being in your face.

Throw it on a jubilee bracelet and you won’t even know you’re wearing it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:20 PM   #13
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Since you’re a pilot, GMT BLNR on jubilee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:36 PM   #14
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
New CHNR would be my choice.
Old 22 March 2024, 07:46 PM   #15
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Myself not a fan of the modern Daytona but got to ask why did you buy it was its simply because of the hype,or perceived value. Its not all about ££$$€€ what owning a Rolex should be about wearing and enjoying it. So sell the Daytona and buy a watch you yourself want to own and wear.
Stop making sense Peter.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 07:53 PM   #16
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I get it. I myself prefer both the GMT and Sub over the Daytona.
Being a pilot, I think the GMT would be a perfect choice.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 08:36 PM   #17
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Totally on board about selling the Daytona.

When it comes to what I buy, do I love it? That is the primary driver. How it compliments other pieces in my collection is a close second. Other than that, non-factors.

If I add more factors, I find myself trying to talk myself into a particular piece. That has never worked out for me.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 09:04 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Stop making sense Peter.
Have to agree Eddie today common sense is sadly lacking today,as use of there own brain power seems to have deteriorated over the past 10 years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 09:05 PM   #19
TBC123
"TRF" Member

CHNR is a truly stunning watch and to my mind the best GMT.
TBC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 09:33 PM   #20
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I think the clue is in your question, you are buying watches based on what you think after seeing them and researching them.

When I sit in the chair at the AD and I try on a watch for the first time, it either hits me or it doesn't.

I think you should go and spend time with each on your list + others, even other brands. So unless you are doing this for status, I'm sure you would instantly feel right when one or two of them go on your wrist for the first time. Then you know you love it.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 09:40 PM   #21
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Give it a very long time to think about it before doing anything. Trust me, the regret could last a lot longer.
Old 22 March 2024, 09:50 PM   #22
Tallbark
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your support. Ended up with this - 126610 mk2. I feel releaved to be honest. So happy and it feels just right…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0891.jpeg (97.9 KB, 1393 views)
Tallbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:00 PM   #23
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Great result. Most important to make sure it feels right

Watch is a stunner too.
Enjoy
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:08 PM   #24
SCF87
"TRF" Member

Looks great!
SCF87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:14 PM   #25
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Congratulations!! Great watch!
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:18 PM   #26
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Congrats! Sounded like you were leaning that way in the write up. Great watch!
Old 22 March 2024, 10:28 PM   #27
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:29 PM   #28
Marioso
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Congrats!! Looks very nice

Marioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:41 PM   #29
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

BLNR GMT easily. I find I have to push myself to wear my sub (and other watches). The GMT is perfect.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:49 PM   #30
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Flip the Daytona and get a Pepsi gmt