The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2024, 08:06 AM   #1
bioyuki
"TRF" Member

Which Bay Area AD to Start a Purchase History With?

Hi all, I've mostly purchased my watches from grey dealers, but in the long run I'm thinking of establishing purchase history with an AD. Current collection is a mix, but from a dollar perspective most spend goes towards Patek and Rolex. On my list:

- Bucherer in SF. Pros, they're now owned by Rolex, and may see better supply in the future? Cons, no Patek, and as the default SF boutique, they might have the most demand.

- Kerns in Burlingame - Pros, they have Patek, I like the idea of family run, and they're opening Rolex/Patek boutiques in SF soon. Cons, none?

- Davidson & Licht - Pros, they seem the friendliest, and most genuine of all the ADs I've met with. Cons, no Patek and it's far from where I'm located in the Bay.

- CH Premier - Pros, they have Patek. Cons, of all the ADs I've walked into they felt by far the most transactional, and only care about pure spend.

Bay Area TRF folks, who should I start working with?
bioyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 08:50 AM   #2
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I’ve only experience with the Rolex boutique in SJ, CH premier, and Shreve in Palo Alto. You’re pretty spot on with CH. Very transactional but they do have patek and VC. The unfortunate truth about this area is if you don’t have a very high purchase history you’re not likely to get the sought after watches you want. My history at CH is only in the 20s but they won’t just sell me a 6119G. Maybe it’s just me. I’ve had better luck with getting Rolexes from the boutique.
Old 29 March 2024, 09:24 AM   #3
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
My vote is Kerns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 March 2024, 09:40 AM   #4
ARoughDraft
"TRF" Member

Watch: CV2113, 116500LN
I only have history with with the formerly Tourneau now Bucherer Rolex Boutique in Downtown SF.

I'm not a high net worth individual (at least in Bay Area standards) but I have an amazing sales associate whose kept all their promises.

Since you have no purchase history with any dealership around the area I suggest you really get to know an associate at any of the locations and see who take a genuine interest in who you are as a person. I know it sounds corny and undignified but its either that or you start buying stuff you don't really care about just for any of them to notice you.
ARoughDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 09:49 AM   #5
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Depends where you live, I suppose. I live near Stockton, so use Devon’s, who have another location in Roseville. They’ve been excellent .

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 09:52 AM   #6
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Kerns is too far for me, but I hear good things.

Don't go to Walnut Creek because I'm still waiting for mine, and you'd get ahead of me probably. Haha

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 09:55 AM   #7
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

KatGirl I need some referral on Devon's in Stockton. Met them only once and said they get 15 Batman/Batgirl a month and should be able to get me something quickly even as their first purchase, but then I hear basically nothing. I think maybe the SA was just impressed with my car when I came in that one time i dunno.
Old 29 March 2024, 11:02 AM   #8
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
KatGirl I need some referral on Devon's in Stockton. Met them only once and said they get 15 Batman/Batgirl a month and should be able to get me something quickly even as their first purchase, but then I hear basically nothing. I think maybe the SA was just impressed with my car when I came in that one time i dunno.

How long ago was that? They are always great to me. I do stop in about every other month. My SA is Dawn. They do have a bigger store at the Galleria Mall in Roseville. If you go there, ask for the Asst. Manager, Dave, and use my name at either store. Say you’re a friend of mine. I’d bet I’m their only Kat, but I can message you my last name, if need be. If you message me your name, I’d be happy to mention you’ll be stopping by, the next time I stop in. I’m do for a visit. Though a lot of folks poo poo the idea, establishing a relationship really does help you get the watches you want.

Kat

Old 29 March 2024, 11:55 AM   #9
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

This is a huge YMMV situation as I've had good experiences at ADs people have had bad ones at, and vice a versa.

But FWIW, I've found the folks at Kerns to be extremely friendly and I've purchased a Rolex from them, but they aren't my go-to AD anymore.

I've done a decent amount of business with CH and you are 100% right about their transactional nature, but I found this to be a plus. They've told me straight up if I don't have the spending for something, but when I did have, they were quite quick to get the watch I wanted. I haven't played in that Patek level though. But I am pretty sure they own most (if not all) the Richemont brand boutiques in Valley Fair with plans to open a Patek and maybe an ALS boutique as well. So I think they might be the best to start a relationship with for brands other than Rolex.

I think in your position (targeting Rolex/Patek), the choice is obvious. You should concentrate your spend/relationship at Kerns and maybe CH as a secondary.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 02:55 PM   #10
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Depends where you live, I suppose. I live near Stockton, so use Devon’s, who have another location in Roseville. They’ve been excellent .

Kat

Oh hey Stockton. I went to school at pacific.
Old 29 March 2024, 03:38 PM   #11
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfury View Post
Oh hey Stockton. I went to school at pacific.

So did my husband. He graduated from their Pharmacy School. I went to U of P, also, but the P is for Pennsylvania.

Kat

Old 29 March 2024, 03:40 PM   #12
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Avoid:
  • Shreve & Co. (both locations) - way too many corrupt shenanigans (see lawsuit and previous posts in this forum), they have lost their Rolex and Patek status in a span of less than 2 years, Yelp reviews are accurate from my personal experience
  • CH Premier - very transactional and purchase history is required even for watches that are widely available at a discount in the pre-owned market (Tudor Pelagos FXD, Chopard Alpine Eagle, Patek 5172G, etc), they also seem to have a lot of inexperienced sales associates
  • J. Licht & Sons Rolex Boutique- way too crowded, always a long line out front, a sales associate recently told me they saw more than a thousand customers during last month's Chinese New Year weekend, some of their sales associates are clearly just going through the motions during the weekend rush

Recommend:
  • Rolex Boutique Tourneau‬ SF - started a relationship only a few months ago and was able to buy a Submariner already, they seem to have ample stock but not as crazy as J. Licht & Sons Rolex Boutique, probably due to San Francisco's ongoing stigma regarding the homeless and the departure of Westfield

Neutral:
  • Kern's - still waiting for their dual Rolex/Patek boutique to open in SF, been in their Burlingame location only once and they seemed friendly enough, just haven't had a good reason to shop there
bay_area_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 05:36 PM   #13
mooty
"TRF" Member

kerns and licht both great
you may not get what u want, but they will tell you straight
CH avoid like plague
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2024, 05:42 PM   #14
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
J lintch and son in valley Fair is my go to. No matter where u land your SA makes it or break it.
Old 30 March 2024, 01:46 AM   #15
RCC watches
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: EXII, OP41, SD43
I’ve taken more of a shotgun approach to Bay Area ADs and have gotten watches from Heller, Shreve, J. Licht, and Tourneau/Bucherer. Not sure this is the best approach but have managed to get some harder to get pieces with little to no spend history.

Walnut Creek boutique has been friendly but no watches yet. Only been to Kerns once and experience seemed a little cold.

Also, if Rolex is your goal, I don’t think CH is a Rolex AD.
RCC watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 02:39 AM   #16
lucas113
"TRF" Member

Hi there,

I've been most of the locations that you mentioned here.

- Bucherer in SF. I would recommend this. I got my first rolex submariner in this store and didn't wait too long. The sales associate is nice and straightforward. But you do need to have purchase history in order to buy high demand watches, like GMT etc.

- Kerns in Burlingame - I personally don't like it at all. They told me they no longer have wait lists for Rolex and won't take your interests down. Maybe it is only for me' I don't know. Also, when I visit with my girlfriend and we also ask about PP, the sales associate was using condescending voice talking to us.

- Davidson & Licht - Best experience I ever had of visiting an AD. Unfortunately, no watches so far and I suppose they have so many demands. But definitely worth a visit since they are the most knowledge sales I've ever met.

- CH Premier - Cannot speak to it since I didn't visit.

- I'd like to add one more in the list, which is Rolex Boutique - J. Licht & Sons in Valley Fair. I haven't got any watch yet, but they do invite me to a GMT event after I visited them twice. They are the only AD that seems like to be able to sell you a GMT without any purchase history, but you do need to wait.
lucas113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 04:07 AM   #17
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas113 View Post
Hi there,

- Bucherer in SF. I would recommend this. I got my first rolex submariner in this store and didn't wait too long. The sales associate is nice and straightforward. But you do need to have purchase history in order to buy high demand watches, like GMT etc.

- Kerns in Burlingame - I personally don't like it at all. They told me they no longer have wait lists for Rolex and won't take your interests down. Maybe it is only for me' I don't know. Also, when I visit with my girlfriend and we also ask about PP, the sales associate was using condescending voice talking to us.

- Davidson & Licht - Best experience I ever had of visiting an AD. Unfortunately, no watches so far and I suppose they have so many demands. But definitely worth a visit since they are the most knowledge sales I've ever met.

- I'd like to add one more in the list, which is Rolex Boutique - J. Licht & Sons in Valley Fair. I haven't got any watch yet, but they do invite me to a GMT event after I visited them twice. They are the only AD that seems like to be able to sell you a GMT without any purchase history, but you do need to wait.
I got a GMT from them with only a sub and necklace purchase history. It’s doable at j licht.

Pro tip for anyone looking to visit- call ahead and make an appointment for a weekday. They almost never sell on weekends and the weekend wait is too long to just talk to an SA. I've seen walk-in purchases happen on less desired models as well. just the luck of the draw.
Old 30 March 2024, 04:53 AM   #18
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Easy answer, which one requires you to spend the least on other watches and jewellery you don’t want or could buy cheaper elsewhere
Old 30 March 2024, 04:58 AM   #19
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas113 View Post
Hi there,

My best ever experience at an AD was when I bought my watch
Old 30 March 2024, 05:06 AM   #20
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got a GMT from them with only a sub and necklace purchase history. It’s doable at j licht.
Necklace? J. Licht & Sons don't sell jewelry or anything else besides Rolex. They are a Rolex boutique.
Old 30 March 2024, 05:08 AM   #21
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_area_kid View Post
Necklace? J. Licht & Sons don't sell jewelry or anything else besides Rolex. They are a Rolex boutique.
This is pre boutique when it was still a Davidson and Licht jewelry store with Rolex. 2019.
Old 30 March 2024, 05:43 AM   #22
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is pre boutique when it was still a Davidson and Licht jewelry store with Rolex. 2019.
That's half a decade ago with a completely different store and with an almost a different staff. Off the top of my head, only three people today remain from their pre-boutique days. The rest were hired post-pandemic.

More importantly, the Rolex/Patek demand was different in 2019 than today. So it will be impossible for OP to replicate your experience if they go to J. Licht & Sons today.
Old 30 March 2024, 05:50 AM   #23
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's half a decade ago with a completely different store and with an almost a different staff. Off the top of my head, only three people today remain from their pre-boutique days. The rest were hired post-pandemic.

More importantly, the Rolex/Patek demand was different in 2019 than today. So it will be impossible for OP to replicate your experience if they go to J. Licht & Sons today.
my dude you're being so weird. My SA is one of those that has been there pre-boutique days. I bought my explorer and my GMT both post-boutique and only my Sub/necklace pre-boutique. I have a former coworker who bought his first post-boutique as well (sub) without any leverage from me (I only found out he bought it when i ran into him at the store during his purchase).

SS at walk in today isn't going to be doable unless you're a rare exception. But if OP does want to shop there then they should at least start doing that appointment thing. It's a hassle but 0 purchase required and depending on the SA you'll get it eventually.
Old 30 March 2024, 07:24 AM   #24
anorphirith
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126713GRNR
Icon1

I live and SF and I visited all of these stores.
I'll start with the worst :

San Francisco Rolex boutique Tourneau (now Bucherer/Rolex):
I've been going there since 2018, they're usually rude and will not sell you anything unless you have a “purchase history”. they'll pretend to create an account with a wishlist but if you call a month later they won't have anything saved under your name / number. They usually have a line to get in the store, and justifiably nervous security guards (zombie land area) making you feel uncomfortable. Rachel or other sales people will NOT make you feel welcome.

San Jose / Santa Clara Rolex Boutique J. Licht & Sons at Valley Fair mall :
This is also a meat grinder, there's always a line to get in, they prioritize previous customers, so unless you managed to buy from them before, you're unlikely to ever get a call. They do usually have two tone with diamond rolexes in stock for sale. These guys also “lost” my wishlist. They always have the most crafty excuses to justify why.

-Kerns Jewlers AD in Burlingame :
They’ve had a BS policy for years that they tell anyone which is : “We get watches randomly throughout the week, and we just put them in the case, so you can make a reservation, walk in and see what we have”
Naturally they won’t tell you when they get deliveries for “security reasons”. So based on their business model, with some luck you should be able to walk in and buy a steel Daytona. which we all know it’s simply impossible. They also won’t take a wish list, or wait list.
Jay mostly sells Patek but sometimes shows Rolex when Chris isn’t available. He’s a very nice & poised person but he only pays attention to high profile individuals, which you can’t really blame him for doing since there’s an ample supply of in the region. Somehow they beat Shreve and got the contract to open the new Rolex AND Patek boutiques in SF union square next summer.
If you want to play the “purchase history” game, you probably should buy jewelry from them, that’ll give you a head start with their new Patek and Rolex store. but don’t forget there’s a TON of WHALES in the area that will always have priority.

-Davidson & Licht AD in Walnut Creek :
They have the best customer service, Ruslana is always super nice and very hard working, she doesn’t get burned out by people asking the same questions every hour of every day. They’ll nicely tell you “there’s always a chance” to get the high demand models but I can tell they’re just repeating what they’ve been trained to say. Otherwise, I’d say it’s the best AD to work with, they’ll eventually get you what you want if you show up once in a while.

- CH Premier :
They’re not a Rolex AD, no reason to shop there.

-Shreve Palo Alto:
They have the largest selection of “Exhibition model” Rolexes, so if you want to window shop and try on rare models, it’s the place to go. Roman is super nice to deal with. But again Shreve has a very shady reputation I wouldn’t get my hopes up with them. I’ve had a wishlist for more than 4 years and never got a call

Heller Jewlers : A very old AD, I had a good experience there but I don’t know much more about them.

De Vons in Stockton:
Dawn is the nicest person to talk to, their store is the ugliest in northern california, and I don’t think they get a large allocation. so it’s probably not worth putting your name down.
anorphirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 07:30 AM   #25
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorphirith View Post
I live and SF and I visited all of these stores.

I'll start with the worst :

San Francisco Rolex boutique Tourneau (now Bucherer/Rolex):

I've been going there since 2018, they're usually rude and will not sell you anything unless you have a “purchase history”. they'll pretend to create an account with a wishlist but if you call a month later they won't have anything saved under your name / number. They usually have a line to get in the store, and justifiably nervous security guards (zombie land area) making you feel uncomfortable. Rachel or other sales people will NOT make you feel welcome.

San Jose / Santa Clara Rolex Boutique J. Licht & Sons at Valley Fair mall :

This is also a meat grinder, there's always a line to get in, they prioritize previous customers, so unless you managed to buy from them before, you're unlikely to ever get a call. They do usually have two tone with diamond rolexes in stock for sale. These guys also “lost” my wishlist. They always have the most crafty excuses to justify why.

-Kerns Jewlers AD in Burlingame :

They’ve had a BS policy for years that they tell anyone which is : “We get watches randomly throughout the week, and we just put them in the case, so you can make a reservation, walk in and see what we have”

Naturally they won’t tell you when they get deliveries for “security reasons”. So based on their business model, with some luck you should be able to walk in and buy a steel Daytona. which we all know it’s simply impossible. They also won’t take a wish list, or wait list.

Jay mostly sells Patek but sometimes shows Rolex when Chris isn’t available. He’s a very nice & poised person but he only pays attention to high profile individuals, which you can’t really blame him for doing since there’s an ample supply of in the region. Somehow they beat Shreve and got the contract to open the new Rolex AND Patek boutiques in SF union square next summer.

If you want to play the “purchase history” game, you probably should buy jewelry from them, that’ll give you a head start with their new Patek and Rolex store. but don’t forget there’s a TON of WHALES in the area that will always have priority.

-Davidson & Licht AD in Walnut Creek :

They have the best customer service, Ruslana is always super nice and very hard working, she doesn’t get burned out by people asking the same questions every hour of every day. They’ll nicely tell you “there’s always a chance” to get the high demand models but I can tell they’re just repeating what they’ve been trained to say. Otherwise, I’d say it’s the best AD to work with, they’ll eventually get you what you want if you show up once in a while.

- CH Premier :

They’re not a Rolex AD, no reason to shop there.

-Shreve Palo Alto:

They have the largest selection of “Exhibition model” Rolexes, so if you want to window shop and try on rare models, it’s the place to go. Roman is super nice to deal with. But again Shreve has a very shady reputation I wouldn’t get my hopes up with them. I’ve had a wishlist for more than 4 years and never got a call

Heller Jewlers : A very old AD, I had a good experience there but I don’t know much more about them.

De Vons in Stockton:

Dawn is the nicest person to talk to, their store is the ugliest in northern california, and I don’t think they get a large allocation. so it’s probably not worth putting your name down.
Appreciate your views here!

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
Old 30 March 2024, 07:32 AM   #26
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Basically

You're screwed. Good luck.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 07:36 AM   #27
ManUtd
"TRF" Member

I’ve been to all Bay Area ADs mentioned above except Kerns. The folks at D&L in Walnut Creek are the friendliest but still waiting for delivery of any item on my wishlist. They did offer other SS models but were not my choices. At the Rolex Boutique in Valley Fair I got the SD43 as a walk in last January. They do claim that they don’t keep purchase histories. Not sure if I believe that. I have a buddy who has bought at least 5 SS models from them in the past 5/6 years and he had to do a lot of “favors” for them.
Old 30 March 2024, 09:03 AM   #28
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
I’ve been to all Bay Area ADs mentioned above except Kerns. The folks at D&L in Walnut Creek are the friendliest but still waiting for delivery of any item on my wishlist. They did offer other SS models but were not my choices. At the Rolex Boutique in Valley Fair I got the SD43 as a walk in last January. They do claim that they don’t keep purchase histories. Not sure if I believe that. I have a buddy who has bought at least 5 SS models from them in the past 5/6 years and he had to do a lot of “favors” for them.
cute dog :) what are the favors your friend had to do ?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 11:18 AM   #29
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my dude you're being so weird. My SA is one of those that has been there pre-boutique days. I bought my explorer and my GMT both post-boutique and only my Sub/necklace pre-boutique. I have a former coworker who bought his first post-boutique as well (sub) without any leverage from me (I only found out he bought it when i ran into him at the store during his purchase).

SS at walk in today isn't going to be doable unless you're a rare exception. But if OP does want to shop there then they should at least start doing that appointment thing. It's a hassle but 0 purchase required and depending on the SA you'll get it eventually.
All you said was:

Quote:
Quote:
Davidson -> J. Licht conversion was around 2021. How the heck was I supposed to know that two years elapsed between your Submariner + necklace
purchase (2019) and your GMT purchase (2021 or later)?

Without your recent clarifications, it was very easy to misunderstand that you bought your GMT half a decade ago.
Old 30 March 2024, 12:39 PM   #30
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All you said was:

Davidson -> J. Licht conversion was around 2021. How the heck was I supposed to know that two years elapsed between your Submariner + necklace
purchase (2019) and your GMT purchase (2021 or later)?

Without your recent clarifications, it was very easy to misunderstand that you bought your GMT half a decade ago.
Sorry, at the risk of outing who I am to any sales staff reading-

Sub (1 month since initial contact) + necklace (sub first, necklace as a Christmas gift to the wife. Two separate purchases months apart) 2019
GMT 2021 (a couple months wait)
Explorer 2024 (<1 month wait)

Huge gaps between purchases but I wasn’t in the market during those gaps other than an unsuccessful attempt at an op 34 for my wife. Hoping the gap between the next purchase is much smaller. Tempted by a YM 40 in rose gold but didn’t have the cash at the time it was offered.