The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 March 2024, 11:21 PM   #1
Escobardee
"TRF" Member

Was a tough one but one had to say no !

So got offered the presidential olive dial on everose ! Was contemplating very hard they put my name down last year along with the Pepsi and Daytona oyster flex pikachu years earlier ! So here was the deal breaker been waiting ages for the Pepsi and Daytona so as the presidential was the last one I had been waiting the shortest and longer for the latter ! Anyway straight to the point I asked about the other two and he said Pepsi still a wait for 1 year plus but he said I am actually next on the list for the pikachu so I said well it’s a lot to take in both so quickly . He appreciated my honesty and said it will in months and as I had my heart set on that he said wait and get the Daytona as I waited so long and we can always explore the olive green everose again !

I did feel some regret but I felt it was a lot to outlaying in such a short time !!!
And also less pressure !
Escobardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 11:33 PM   #2
Little machines
"TRF" Member

It's your money !! Good move and your saving lot of $$$. You will feel better tomorrow when you look at your bank account! Also the watch you want is coming soon!! Good luck!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 11:46 PM   #3
MeenMug
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
I have known my AD for 30+ years but only been buying Rolex for a few years. I don't often wade into threads about 'did I do the right thing' etc as I know there are so many variables, even from AD to AD, that it is all speculation.

I know you aren't asking for feedback, and my AD is different then yours, but if you actually want the Olive DD I feel like you made a mistake.

Consider it from the AD perspective, you asked for the DD when it was hot and could be resold for more, and now that it is normalizing, you get offered it. Once offered it, you ask about 2 pieces that are holding stronger on the secondary market and turn down the DD.

Also, he is proje ting timelines that are purely guesses as to when he will get the other 2. WW is 2 weeks away, those may both get discontinued and he never gets them. I heard a rumor that the Olive DD is going away since they are releasing the Slate Ombre dial.

Feel free to dismiss my thoughts as they are just my opinion and sharing them in, what I hope, is a positive tone. I just can't help but express my concern.

I hope I am way off and you all the pieces you want.
MeenMug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 12:08 AM   #4
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
So I’m sure he’ll shift that watch and respect your honesty .. no regret to be had .. that Daytona is lovely and I’m sure when that’s offered to you you’ll be delighted …
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 12:15 AM   #5
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Smart move, waiting for the one you truly want. I would have done the same.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 12:27 AM   #6
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

These are not even ready to move now anymore, and extremely difficult to sell on the grey.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 12:36 AM   #7
swexlin
"TRF" Member

The right move. Buy what you really want.

I've been waiting on a YM 40 with the Rhodium dial from my AD. A couple weeks ago, he texted me and asked if I would consider the blue dial. You know where this is going...

I went in, and there it was, and I tried it on. Gorgeous, a stunner. However, told him, please offer this to someone who really wants the blue, and I'll wait for the Rhodium. He appreciated my honesty, and I'll hold out for what I want. He seems to think that I'll have the RHodium within a few months. If he had said, no, that one will take a long time, I would have bought blue right there.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 12:50 AM   #8
Nice marmot
"TRF" Member

Typical AD obfuscation. Also what the hell is a “pikachu”?
Nice marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 01:08 AM   #9
Navin Johnson
"TRF" Member

Good move to pass on something you don’t want. Patience is rewarding
Navin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 07:40 AM   #10
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice marmot View Post
Typical AD obfuscation. Also what the hell is a “pikachu”?
This...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pikachu.JPG (25.2 KB, 2087 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 07:51 AM   #11
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Damn, I don’t think I could have said no to that DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 07:53 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Never buy a watch if you’re not ready. Good move
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 09:20 AM   #13
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
This...
Thats the new one. I like this watch, esp the previous version, but hate the nickname, I just looked up Pikachu and boy, its a reach to call this watch by that thing, bloody internet.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 09:24 AM   #14
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Great move. The Daytona is an amazing piece. You will love it on the wrist!
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 10:45 AM   #15
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I never have declined something I’ve told my AD I wanted and I wouldn’t advise anyone to do that. You almost have to ask yourself why you asked in the first place. Even in the crazy times, someone never knew when you’d be offered anything from your wish list.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 11:07 AM   #16
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondesNwatches View Post
I never have declined something I’ve told my AD I wanted and I wouldn’t advise anyone to do that. You almost have to ask yourself why you asked in the first place. Even in the crazy times, someone never knew when you’d be offered anything from your wish list.
Hmmmm, no longer crazy times. Our tastes and situations change, especially when months/years past by when many here have to basically beg for a piece.. Buying a Rolex is a bit different than a kidney transplant.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 03:17 PM   #17
Escobardee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little machines View Post
It's your money !! Good move and your saving lot of $$$. You will feel better tomorrow when you look at your bank account! Also the watch you want is coming soon!! Good luck!
So true !! It feels good and the watch coming will feel better !
Old 31 March 2024, 03:25 PM   #18
Escobardee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeenMug View Post
I have known my AD for 30+ years but only been buying Rolex for a few years. I don't often wade into threads about 'did I do the right thing' etc as I know there are so many variables, even from AD to AD, that it is all speculation.

I know you aren't asking for feedback, and my AD is different then yours, but if you actually want the Olive DD I feel like you made a mistake.

Consider it from the AD perspective, you asked for the DD when it was hot and could be resold for more, and now that it is normalizing, you get offered it. Once offered it, you ask about 2 pieces that are holding stronger on the secondary market and turn down the DD.

Also, he is proje ting timelines that are purely guesses as to when he will get the other 2. WW is 2 weeks away, those may both get discontinued and he never gets them. I heard a rumor that the Olive DD is going away since they are releasing the Slate Ombre dial.

Feel free to dismiss my thoughts as they are just my opinion and sharing them in, what I hope, is a positive tone. I just can't help but express my concern.

I hope I am way off and you all the pieces you want.

I feel what you mean but I was honest about it financially!!! At the end of my post i said it was a lot to outlay ! And my Ad appreciated my honesty !
Old 31 March 2024, 03:26 PM   #19
Escobardee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Smart move, waiting for the one you truly want. I would have done the same.
Thank you 🙏
Old 31 March 2024, 03:30 PM   #20
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

I think you made the right decision….it’s your money, and ultimately you should decide how to spend it no matter what…

My criticism would be that you should have let your SA know earlier that you are no longer interested in that model. To request it and then decline it when it is offered isn't exactly going to do you any favours for obvious reasons…
Kenny G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 03:32 PM   #21
Escobardee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondesNwatches View Post
I understand but I was honest and he was honest that I will pay for the olive green and within months the Daytona will be coming so we agreed it be a lot within a short space of time and we can revisit . He actually thanked me for being quick back to him and even said look hold out for the one you have been waiting longer for . It was a strictly to much to do in one year for me !
Old 1 April 2024, 02:06 AM   #22
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

Only buy what you want. PM prices are soft now and PM pieces are getting offered more and more as people on the lists turn them down. Hopefully ADs will realize putting people on waiting lists for years is terrible customer service and not a guarantee of future sales. (Rant over)
Hope your Daytona comes in soon.
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 02:36 AM   #23
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
You made the right choice. I turned down the 2 tone Rootbeer 3 weeks back, like you the RB was last on the list & I didn’t fall in love w it in person. I ended up picking up a 2012 Bluesy w the early Smurf blue dial from Takuya instead.
Old 1 April 2024, 02:54 AM   #24
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onequik135i View Post
You made the right choice. I turned down the 2 tone Rootbeer 3 weeks back, like you the RB was last on the list & I didn’t fall in love w it in person. I ended up picking up a 2012 Bluesy w the early Smurf blue dial from Takuya instead.
The TT Root Beer is the other one I'm waiting on. But what you did was right - now someone waiting on that one (like me, LOL) will get offered to them.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 04:43 AM   #25
Escobardee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchsprings View Post
Only buy what you want. PM prices are soft now and PM pieces are getting offered more and more as people on the lists turn them down. Hopefully ADs will realize putting people on waiting lists for years is terrible customer service and not a guarantee of future sales. (Rant over)
Hope your Daytona comes in soon.

Agree fully
Old 1 April 2024, 04:47 AM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That is a cool reference..
Old 2 April 2024, 05:56 AM   #27
Escobardee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Glad you made the choice that was best for you ! It’s not about making the Ad happy it’s what makes you happy and furthermore it’s time the Ad makes clients happy.
Old 2 April 2024, 08:54 AM   #28
dauster
"TRF" Member

good move - I past on watches in the past, situations change, money changes and taste change. don't feel pressure into buying super expensive items. if it's the right time you will know it and if this puts a dent into your relationship with the AD so be it. Nothing you can do about it.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 10:02 AM   #29
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
While waiting on my blue dial SkyD my AD offered me a white dial. I really liked it and considered getting it instead, but held out. While waiting another 6 months for the blue I wasn’t sure I had made the right decision.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 12:11 PM   #30
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
you buy what you want when offered, if no longer appeals then move on. If you don’t have the $ but for me then, buy the want you really want. but day dates are the best , much much better than a Panda, and i have both.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote