The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2024, 10:16 PM   #1
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Ambidextrous Watch Wearers - Anybody?

Are there any Ambidextrous watch wearers out there? For those who do not know what that means (I had to look up the spelling) it refers to people that use both hands equally well - i.e. painters. I just got the VTNR (Sprite) a month or so ago and have yet to wear it for an extended time. I am normally a left handed watch wear - which means I am right handed. The VTNR created a dilemma for me as I was not sure how to wear it. I finally got around to wearing the lefty VTNR for an extended period of time this week and have been wearing it on my right wrist and I really like it. It did not take me as long as I thought it would to get used to it and it is a nice change. I've read that the left handed people who wear their watches on their left hand - I assume because most watches are made with the dial on the right - that they do not see increased wear and tear on their watches by wearing their watch on their dominant wrist. I am really enjoying mixing things up by wearing on my right wrist.

Anybody else do this? I recommend it!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 10:22 PM   #2
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I’m left handed. I wear my watches on my left wrist. Unfortunately we live in a right handed world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giovannibravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 10:29 PM   #3
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I'd give my right arm, to be ambidextrous.

....sorry, I'll get my coat.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 10:36 PM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I am right handed, but I wear my watches on right hand. It is a habit which I had since young.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 10:39 PM   #5
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Could be a solution for those with smaller wrists who can’t wear certain models, the dominant wrist is generally bigger
Old 2 April 2024, 10:56 PM   #6
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Useless fact but I play table tennis and badminton ambidextrous …
I write with my left and have right and left handed watches , and wear them on the left wrist , I just can’t get on with a watch on my right wrist it doesn’t feel right .. pardon the pun …
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 11:21 PM   #7
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post

Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 11:44 PM   #8
madsitalia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
Useless fact but I play table tennis and badminton ambidextrous …
I write with my left and have right and left handed watches , and wear them on the left wrist , I just can’t get on with a watch on my right wrist it doesn’t feel right .. pardon the pun …
Which feeling are you left with?
madsitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 12:05 AM   #9
OTX
"TRF" Member

I am right handed and always wore my watches on the left wrist. Currently, I wear my Navitimer 01 on my left wrist and my Sprite on my right wrist. Due to a nerve injury to my left wrist a while back, I can’t wear heavier watches on it so the Navitimer 01 on a leather strap is as much as I can handle on my left wrist. The Sprite on the Jubilee bracelet goes on my right wrist as it can handle more weight without problems. After a while, I got used to wearing watches on both wrists. In the beginning, it felt weird wearing the Sprite on the right wrist but now after 2 months, it feels completely normal and I like it on the right wrist!.

OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 01:03 AM   #10
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Could be a solution for those with smaller wrists who can’t wear certain models, the dominant wrist is generally bigger
Definitely me. There is a noticeable difference between my right (dominant) and left wrist. I would need to size up bracelets to swap between the two wrists.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 01:44 AM   #11
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm a left-handed person forced to live in a right-handed world. I wear my watches mostly on my left wrist however, I frequently wear them on my right wrist. So, I guess that qualifies as ambidextrous...
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 02:35 AM   #12
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I’m ambidextrous and wear on the left as I write with my right hand (poorly). That is essentially the only reason. I sometimes wear two watches, however…
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 02:49 AM   #13
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
For over a decade I’ve been weearing my mechanical watches on my left wrist and fitness tracker pieces on my right, I’m right handed. I don’t know if people notice much but comments have been pretty rare.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 02:53 AM   #14
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I'm left handed. I find if I wear watches on my left wrist, they can dig in to my wrist bone so I then wear them on my right.

It's not something I have ever heard other people talk about, but some watches just don't sit well on my wrist and really dig in. They never do on my right wrist bone.

The reverso due to the case shape is the only watch I own which never digs in, kind of makes me want to go down the path of unusual shaped watches. Ellipse, 5940 etc
Old 3 April 2024, 03:19 AM   #15
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I just switched my sub to my right...it feels okay...comfortable...i will change back due to i might bang it on something because i haven't practiced it. I believe you have to be more leery of walls, doors, tables and everything of of course your surrounding's.

So i might be on of those too. i am more dominate to my right but i can use my left hand, i can write a little. i kick with my left foot. if i reach or picking up anything i an use both, depending what angle or thought process i am choosing with ease.
I think my father did that! As did with my son, i knew he was going to be a lefty, so during his growth years i moved everything to his right hand. I didn't want him to be a lefty, i guess?..well i did it.

My son asked me when he was in his teens, why he kicks a soccer and football with his left foot, when everyone else kicks with their right. I told him the story...he said....hum, okay! but i did tell him in soccer he can control the ball with both his feet better than most....and he did...he was a good player in soccer.

sorry about the long message..

and i've worn watches onmy right at times depending what the situations were.
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 03:40 AM   #16
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
For over a decade I’ve been wearing my mechanical watches on my left wrist and fitness tracker pieces on my right, I’m right handed.
I've done similar but have gotten away from it. I like having access to the data from the smart watches, but have gotten to the point I only wear smart watches when I work out. Two watches seem like one too many. Would like something that is a smaller footprint than an Apple Watch.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 03:44 AM   #17
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
I’m left handed. I wear my watches on my left wrist. Unfortunately we live in a right handed world.

Me, too. Is it me or does it seem that there are a half-dozen which-arm-do-you-wear-your-watch threads recently?
Quote:

"And that's all from me tonight, folks, you've been a great crowd!"

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 03:48 AM   #18
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Me, too. Is it me or does it seem that there are a half-dozen which-arm-do-you-wear-your-watch threads recently?
"And that's all from me tonight, folks, you've been a great crowd!"
I blame Rolex with the VTNR.
Giovannibravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 04:07 AM   #19
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
I just switched my sub to my right...it feels okay...comfortable...i will change back due to i might bang it on something because i haven't practiced it. I believe you have to be more leery of walls, doors, tables and everything of of course your surrounding's.

So i might be on of those too. i am more dominate to my right but i can use my left hand, i can write a little. i kick with my left foot. if i reach or picking up anything i an use both, depending what angle or thought process i am choosing with ease.
I think my father did that! As did with my son, i knew he was going to be a lefty, so during his growth years i moved everything to his right hand. I didn't want him to be a lefty, i guess?..well i did it.

My son asked me when he was in his teens, why he kicks a soccer and football with his left foot, when everyone else kicks with their right. I told him the story...he said....hum, okay! but i did tell him in soccer he can control the ball with both his feet better than most....and he did...he was a good player in soccer.

sorry about the long message..

and i've worn watches onmy right at times depending what the situations were.

I kick football with my left foot and I am right handed. What is that called??

belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 07:06 AM   #20
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

I’m right-handed but fairly ambidextrous and wear watches on my right hand. The reason is that I’ve got some nerve damage in my left arm/hand that makes wearing a watch there a bit uncomfortable. I’ve found it quite easy to adapt to wearing a watch on my dominant hand.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 07:44 AM   #21
DaytonaAllDay
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Daytonas
Good question. I am typically right-handed so wear most of my watches on the left wrist but I do agree that the VTNR was designed to be worn on the right wrist and looks much better there. I wear mine on the right as well and I would recommend everyone else that is right-handed but does not mind wearing this piece on the right wrist to wear it there. Cheers.
DaytonaAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 07:57 AM   #22
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by belutak View Post
I kick football with my left foot and I am right handed. What is that called??

Cross-dominance, or mixed laterality

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 07:59 AM   #23
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

Old 3 April 2024, 08:04 AM   #24
bmwmcab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I am right handed, but I wear my watches on right hand. It is a habit which I had since young.
Me too! It just feels more comfortable on the right than left for me.
bmwmcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 08:13 AM   #25
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I'm right handed and wear my watch on my right arm. I used to wear it on my left arm but when I broke my arms it took my left one longer to heal. The watch went onto the right arm and I've never gone back. My left wrist is now thicker than my right as a result of the accident. Visually unnoticeable but it makes a lot of difference to how a watch wears and feels. An Easylink or Glidelock helps but the balance is different and it's never an exact fit.

I have a Monaco Calibre 11 which has the crown on the left. The position of the crown doesn't bother me at all. I always take a watch off to set/adjust it. What kills the VTNR for me is the position of the date window which to my eyes looks silly. Each to our own. Something for everyone. Choice is good.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote