The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 April 2024, 02:32 AM   #1
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Turning down the AD?

Been seeing a lot of people declining calls/offers from the AD recently. For those of you who have done that, what was the AD reaction? I did that once and the SA got really mad and told me going on the “list” was essentially an ironclad commitment by me to purchase immediately if ever offered the watch, and not accepting would put the SA in an embarrassing spot so I would never be called again. Anyone else get the same?
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:37 AM   #2
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
The table has now turned. Tell the SA to go pound sand unless he offered you a Daytona or a Pepsi
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:37 AM   #3
GrumpyMax
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
Been seeing a lot of people declining calls/offers from the AD recently. For those of you who have done that, what was the AD reaction? I did that once and the SA got really mad and told me going on the “list” was essentially an ironclad commitment by me to purchase immediately if ever offered the watch, and not accepting would put the SA in an embarrassing spot so I would never be called again. Anyone else get the same?
I declined 2 calls from my AD during the year, still got the watch (but it was Explorer II, nothing exclusive)
GrumpyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:38 AM   #4
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

You should never be forced to make any purchase. Or even feel like you're being forced.
Especially an expensive item like high end watches.
Walk away, go elsewhere.

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:40 AM   #5
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
I would like to think my AD was fine and it wouldn’t be a problem, but I’ll not know unless I do refuse what I’m offered .. I will say this, I feel CPO has overtaken a little bit because they have a large range and can sell immediately ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:42 AM   #6
Callmepeshy
"TRF" Member

Have turned down a few over the years - PM Skydwellers, green OP41 and Explorer II come to mind.

Never been a problem, my SA understands that sometimes it isn’t the right watch at the right time. And saying at one point you’re interested in or like a particular watch, doesn’t mean you’re willing to spend thousands just because you’re given the opportunity to.
Old 16 April 2024, 02:42 AM   #7
KevNev
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LN
I haven't turned down any watches that I was on the list for. I've turned down others I wasn't interested in. Why be on the list for something you don't plan to buy though?
KevNev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:45 AM   #8
EagleBear
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I’ve turned down a few offers over the year for some ridiculous offers I had no interest in. All SAs have been ok with my rejections so far. lol
EagleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:46 AM   #9
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Personally I would not order a watch if I was not ready to buy.
I can understand the AD’s negative reaction.
Old 16 April 2024, 02:47 AM   #10
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

I was offered a couple pieces from my SA that I declined because it wasn’t the exact thing I wanted. Example- one had diamond indices, another was on the wrong bracelet.

I’m also pretty careful not to request something I didn’t really want.

But life happens man. A lot could come up in between the “requesting” and waiting a year to get it.

I wouldn’t feel bad at all to say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:47 AM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Turning down the AD?

I have declined watches that were offered that I never even considered adding. I haven’t had to decline watches that I requested. Both my former and new AD always acted similarly. Have never been given a hard time. Just a simple “thanks/okay” and a “keep in touch”
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:50 AM   #12
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

I didn’t know I was even on the list. I just mentioned I liked a watch once and then a long time passed, I found the same watch later and eventually sold it because I didn’t like it….and then was offered the watch by AD where I had made that comment.
Old 16 April 2024, 02:53 AM   #13
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Like most things it life, I think it depends.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 02:58 AM   #14
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

I turned down a green OP recently because I was offered it elsewhere first. The SA was quite kind and appreciative that I told her. She asked that I let her know if I had interest in any other pieces
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:17 AM   #15
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
call him an a$$ and find another AD....disrespect is something i will not tolerate from anyone rude...and from a sales rep...ohhh noooo.

If the watch doesnt sing..do buy it!!
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:25 AM   #16
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Back in 2019 I got on the waiting list for the two-tone Submariner with the blue dial (Bluesy). I went into pick it up and between the SA and myself, we agreed we like the Rootbeer better. I declined and had the Rootbeer a couple months later. I know times have changed, but it all depends on the AD.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:27 AM   #17
GotRolex
"TRF" Member

That list is for expressing interest at the time. It is common for people to lose interest after many years of waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GotRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:28 AM   #18
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Personally I would not order a watch if I was not ready to buy.
I can understand the AD’s negative reaction.
Generally, 100% agreement but things change over the course of time.
Two year wait, babies are born, transmissions are blown, roofs need repair, divorce happens, kids go to college, maybe $15k+ isn't as liquid as it once was.

If the AD gave me sh*t for turning it down, that would be the last time that AD ever sold me a piece of jewelry.

Being on a list is NOT a contract to purchase ROFL!!
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:34 AM   #19
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I asked for a Pepsi when it was released at Basel World in 2018.

Later that year, my AD offered me a blue dial SkyDweller which I politely turned down.

I received the Pepsi in Dec of 2018.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:42 AM   #20
ppierce
"TRF" Member

Declined an Explorer 40MM about a month ago. Just got my sub no date this past Thursday so non event for me. The SA's arent ordering these models specifically for their clients. So if something comes in and you dont want it turn it down.
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:51 AM   #21
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Well it’s a waiting list. Not a contract or agreement to buy.
While it’s not nice to say no when offered, the AD should also understand that situations do change over time. Leaving negative or threatening remarks to the customer just shows that the SA is a loser in life.
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 04:30 AM   #22
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
Well it’s a waiting list. Not a contract or agreement to buy.
While it’s not nice to say no when offered, the AD should also understand that situations do change over time. Leaving negative or threatening remarks to the customer just shows that the SA is a loser in life.

That’s a bit harsh. More likely the SA would have been counting on a commission, was frustrated, and subsequently less than courteous. I’m on the list for another, but I made it clear to my SA, that I need 3 or 4 months for my finances to recover from the last purchase, before I buy another. So, no worries here.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 04:38 AM   #23
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
She should have taken a down payment if she was expecting an iron clad commitment and that is what I would have told her.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 04:39 AM   #24
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Personally, I only put my name down for stuff I want to buy.

At the same time, I have declined watches that were “close” but not exactly what I requested, with no ill effect.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 04:47 AM   #25
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
. . .I did that once and the SA got really mad and told me going on the “list” was essentially an ironclad commitment by me to purchase immediately if ever offered the watch, and not accepting would put the SA in an embarrassing spot so I would never be called again. Anyone else get the same?
This is a poor SA and poor customer service. Any SA worth their salt has a list with several names and if one is unable to take the offer, the next likely buyer is little more than a phone call away.

If this happened to me, I might go and have a discussion with the Manager and move to a more customer-oriented SA, or a different AD altogether.

Last edited by Tools; 17 April 2024 at 02:25 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 05:16 AM   #26
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This is a poor SA and poor customer service. Any SA worth their salt has a list with several names and if one is unable to take the offer, the next likely buyer is little more than a phone call away.

If this happened to me, I might go and have a discussion with the Manager and move to a more customer-oriented SA, or a different AD altogether.
This was always my thought - just call the next person on the list
Old 16 April 2024, 05:25 AM   #27
dg1111
"TRF" Member

Pretty much every AD I have gone to is very clear with me that they are simply registering my interest, and that I am not on any sort of list. For that reason, I would say that you have no commitment to purchase.

I suppose it is possible that they get commission for selling you the watch, and if you decline, another SA gets to offer it to their client. In other words, they miss out on potential commission if you pass. That might upset them. That said, if the SA can’t even give a ballpark estimate of when you might get a watch/tries to get you to a bunch of stuff you don’t want to “improve your chances,” then you really aren’t under any obligation to get them their commission. They have an easy job selling Rolexes in the current market.
dg1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 05:52 AM   #28
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
My SA never offers me random stuff, only watches I’ve asked for.
I asked for a coral red OP41 when they were introduced in Fall 2020. It came in much sooner than expected(3 weeks later)and I had just made another large unrelated purchase that week. Told him I needed to pass and he just told me to let him know when I was ready. Asked again a few months later and I received the last one the dealer received in February 2022.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 05:55 AM   #29
Solo118
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Turned down a few white gold pieces, and even a couple of sky dwellers in 18k. Not for me, they understood and will reach out to the next guy
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 06:23 AM   #30
gossler
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX GMT II PEPSI
Things change as time pases, never feel pressured to buy a watch just because you are on the list. Specially after a long wait 6+ Months. But then again never get on the list for a watch you are not overly confident of buying....

I mean if it's been only 4 weeks, then I could understand why the SA was upset.

My AD will require a 30% deposit about 2-3weeks before delivery, by that time they are 100% sure they can delivery the watch you are asking for.
gossler is offline   Reply With Quote