The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 May 2024, 01:34 AM   #1
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN/126610LN
Superlative vs Master Chronometer (METAS)

Has anyone done third party testing on these two? Which is better? Metas seems to market their testing as superior but is it? I need answers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deeman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 01:36 AM   #2
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
superlative is more accurate since it's -2 & +2, so the the difference is 4sec a day.

however, metas works better for people who doesn't want their watch to run slow.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 02:32 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

METAS ... also being +/-1 second works for me :)

248898166_2282933438509691_1047766778410371085_n.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 05:44 AM   #4
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex’s superlative standard gets the movement tested to COSC standards and then cases up the movement before testing in six positions, adjusting to within +/- 2 seconds per 24 hours.

METAS tests movements installed in casesto 0-5 seconds per day. They also test water resistance and magnetic fields. They test the entire watch.

METAS and COSC are different standards, but Rolex follows COSC with their own testing that exceeds METAS without having to pay METAS for their stamp of approval.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 06:12 AM   #5
dubins930
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Rolex’s superlative standard gets the movement tested to COSC standards and then cases up the movement before testing in six positions, adjusting to within +/- 2 seconds per 24 hours.

METAS tests movements installed in casesto 0-5 seconds per day. They also test water resistance and magnetic fields. They test the entire watch.

METAS and COSC are different standards, but Rolex follows COSC with their own testing that exceeds METAS without having to pay METAS for their stamp of approval.

Genuinely curious, what are the Rolex standards that exceed METAS? The magnetic field and water resistance testing?
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 06:39 AM   #6
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Que the comments where people act like it's crazy for a watch that has Superlative Chronometer printed on the dial to not perform within the specs of a "Superlative Chronometer."
MRBolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 10:02 AM   #7
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I know Rolex outdoes base testing standards, but I'm not sure I would say they go beyond METAS in doing so. The accuracy testing is sort of a wash; Rolex's window is slightly narrower but on the other hand METAS's is based on not losing time.

The WR testing on a Rolex is to 125% the stated pressure. METAS is comparable and even stricter for divers.

I know Rolex movements are quite antimagnetic overall but does the base 'Superlative' standard test for 15,000 gauss? (I don't know but I don't think so.)
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 10:22 AM   #8
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

The performance of all my Rolexes are quite impressive. I don’t measure on a daily basis, nor do I strap any instruments to them. But over time (please pardon the pun), they stack up well next to my G-Shock, which calibrates with my iPhone a couple times a day. There is no evidence of any significant deviation to COSC standards. I’d notice it…

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 10:27 AM   #9
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman54 View Post
Has anyone done third party testing on these two?

I believe COSC and METAS are both third-party testing of manufacturer movements.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 10:32 AM   #10
Mystro

Omega wins this pissing match.
METAS is a harder standard series of testing. Regardless both are a higher standard than COSC. Each Omega tested watch also gets its own METAS report of how it did during the test for the owner to review. It is a very nice feature.
Old 29 May 2024, 10:47 AM   #11
Scholar
"TRF" Member

I think perhaps part of the issue is that people think METAS is run by Omega, so it’s perceived as Rolex vs Omega.

Omega was the first company to install the machinery for the testing, but METAS itself is a Swiss government certification. It’s definitely not something they themselves granted. Case in point: they had already had a METAS spec watch (the 2014 Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial) a year before they had their first METAS certified watch (the 2015 Constellation Globemaster Master Chronometer).
Old 29 May 2024, 11:12 AM   #12
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Omega wins this pissing match.
METAS is a harder standard series of testing. Regardless both are a higher standard than COSC. Each Omega tested watch also gets its own METAS report of how it did during the test for the owner to review. It is a very nice feature.

I love my Omega watches, but my Seamaster doesn’t seem anymore accurate than any of my Rolexes when it comes to everyday usage.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 05:00 PM   #13
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Gents I didn’t intend to be a debate about omega vs Rolex. I could care less. Tudor has metas certs. I wanted to know if anyone has done a 3rd party testing against both certs. I’m curious if Rolex’s are as a magnetic as those timepieces that are metas certified.

I’m assuming they are! I can’t see Tudor (metas certified) being more technically capable than its flagship brand Rolex.

Old 29 May 2024, 05:01 PM   #14
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
I think perhaps part of the issue is that people think METAS is run by Omega, so it’s perceived as Rolex vs Omega.

Omega was the first company to install the machinery for the testing, but METAS itself is a Swiss government certification. It’s definitely not something they themselves granted. Case in point: they had already had a METAS spec watch (the 2014 Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial) a year before they had their first METAS certified watch (the 2015 Constellation Globemaster Master Chronometer).

This….. people say rolex wins with branding but omega has swindled its customers into thinking omega = metas and vice versa :)

Old 29 May 2024, 05:01 PM   #15
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
Genuinely curious, what are the Rolex standards that exceed METAS? The magnetic field and water resistance testing?

+1

Old 29 May 2024, 05:03 PM   #16
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
Rolex tests fully cased watch to +/- 2secs per day. That's better than 0 to +5secs per day.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 05:04 PM   #17
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
METAS ... also being +/-1 second works for me :)

Attachment 1437465

Metas isn’t +/-1 second a day. It’s 0/+5 a day. In theory your watch should never lose time but could gain 6 seconds a day

Old 29 May 2024, 05:06 PM   #18
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rolex tests fully cased watch to +/- 2secs per day. That's better than 0 to +5secs per day.

I think it’s up to the wearer. For example sometimes I set my watch fast so I’m not late to meetings. (Personal preference) I’m sure metas works better for some people in this setting.

Old 29 May 2024, 06:34 PM   #19
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not really. It is a narrower window by a second, yes, but losing time is considered more of a flaw than gaining time, so those sort of cancel out.
Old 29 May 2024, 06:54 PM   #20
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
Quote:
Yup.

It's pretty hard to argue with: 4 < 5.
PenDelicate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 07:07 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Exactly but like all tests no matter the system its at time of testing in a controlled environment movement passed test at time of testing. But on the wrist with owners wearing habits could differ slightly, its not a warranty that it will perform exactly the same every single day for life. Both are marketing tools and today marketing often baffles brains, but thank god my life was never ran to he exact seconds, and sure that most today this would be true as well.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 09:33 PM   #22
Daveh777
"TRF" Member

In reality, if my life was controlled by seconds vs minutes it would drive me completely insane. Basically, all Rolex, Omega and Tudor models are fit for purpose in the real world.
I enjoy METAS, chrono certification etc more as an indicator of manufacturing and engineering excellence as opposed to anything more.
I’m also seriously considering a Quartz Grand Seiko to satisfy my latent accuracy itch; not anything mechanical.
Daveh777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 09:47 PM   #23
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
In my experience, METAS is vastly superior, especially against the 3235 movement. My real-life measurements:

- Speedy cal. 9900 +1.5s a week, average worn+rest, after 2 years
- TT Sub41 cal. 3235: - 1s a day, average worn+rest, after 3 years
- SD43 cal. 3235: - 6 s/d, average on timegrapher, after 7 years
- YM40 cal. 3135: + 1 s/d, average worn+rest, after 9 years
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 11:54 PM   #24
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Exactly but like all tests no matter the system its at time of testing in a controlled environment movement passed test at time of testing. But on the wrist with owners wearing habits could differ slightly, its not a warranty that it will perform exactly the same every single day for life. Both are marketing tools and today marketing often baffles brains, but thank god my life was never ran to he exact seconds, and sure that most today this would be true as well.
Well said!
Old 30 May 2024, 04:48 AM   #25
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
Yup.

It's pretty hard to argue with: 4 < 5.
Like I said, losing time is considered worse than gaining time, so a second wider of a window while not losing time is arguably superior, at worst equivalent.
Old 30 May 2024, 04:51 AM   #26
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
I like METAS because I really prefer my watches to run a little fast vs a little slow.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2024, 04:57 AM   #27
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
In practical terms they don’t make a single bit of difference to me.

Heck, my slow beat 321 is rated at -1/+11 seconds a day …

I don’t really notice a difference between it and my 32xx Rolex or my Metas Speedy
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2024, 05:14 AM   #28
TikTok
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh777 View Post
In reality, if my life was controlled by seconds vs minutes it would drive me completely insane. Basically, all Rolex, Omega and Tudor models are fit for purpose in the real world.
I enjoy METAS, chrono certification etc more as an indicator of manufacturing and engineering excellence as opposed to anything more.
I’m also seriously considering a Quartz Grand Seiko to satisfy my latent accuracy itch; not anything mechanical.
Go for it, I did and dont regret it for one second (tick).
Old 30 May 2024, 05:37 AM   #29
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh777 View Post
Get a Grand Seiko Spring Drive. More accurate than a true quartz.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2024, 05:19 PM   #30
TikTok
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Get a Grand Seiko Spring Drive. More accurate than a true quartz.
Err! No.
Spring drive +- 10 sec/month.
Quartz +- 10 sec/year.