The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 June 2024, 04:42 AM   #1
HighMile
"TRF" Member

Green-ish patina on bracelet vintage two-tone Datejust

Hi all,

I have come across a nice vintage two-tone 1601 Datejust that I might purchase. The seller states that the watch is from 1973 and is 'Like New Old Stock'. It seems that the watch has barely been worn and comes with papers, hangtags, booklets and even its sticker on the back as it was showcased at a dealer. The story is that the watch had been in a safe over the years and the gold on the bracelet has a green-ish patina from the lack of fresh oxygen. (picture attached)

Is it normal for the gold on the bracelet to oxide this way? I have some questions on this:

1. Solid gold jewelry can't oxide unless Rolex did not use solid gold at that time for those bracelets?
2. The seller says the patina is from a lack of fresh oxygen - does this make sense? Isn't the patina normally from wearing and exposing the watch to different conditions?

I am seeking your advice/expertise on this as I very much like the story but am cautious about it being romanticized.

Appreciate your views!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Patina.jpeg (86.6 KB, 83 views)
HighMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2024, 07:43 AM   #2
Davidt
"TRF" Member

Unless 24ct, most gold used in jewellery is not pure (usually 18ct - 75%) and it will absolutely develop a light tarnish over the years if not subject to wear or periodic polishing.

The bit about ‘fresh oxygen’ is absolute tosh. It’s just oxidation of the non gold metals in the alloy. Many people love the warmth of lightly tarnished gold but if it needs to be removed, 5 mins with a cape cod or town talk cloth would have it looking new.
Davidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2024, 08:34 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I can't see much in that photo, but as @DavidT noted, gold cases and bracelets and jewelry does tarnish. Lower karat gold generally tarnishes more easily, but it also depends on the ambient conditions. If the bracelet is legit, unless it has been stored in salt water, the tarnish should be very superficial and easily removed.