The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 June 2024, 10:27 PM   #1
Shawn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16263 Thunderbird
New Tudor Black Bay M79230B - Not working...

New BB M79230B-0008, purchased new from AD on 4/2, not working on 6/2. Lasted exactly two months before some sort of failure.

Everything was fine until about 1pm yesterday, except it was really 4pm.

I've worn the watch continuously for two months, no problems at all, was keeping great time. Just simply stopped yesterday.

I've given it a wind, nothing. I will say that when I shake it it sounds like something is moving around. I'll take it back to the AD next week, but I suspect it will just be sent off to the service center.

Disappointing for sure...
Shawn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 10:34 PM   #2
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
That is disappointing. Sorry to hear about that. Ive had that happen twice actually with GS spring drives. One failed after a month, the other after a few days. Both times I was given a new watch. I hope you do too. I wouldn’t accept them sending in for service. I would want a replacement. Good luck!
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 10:39 PM   #3
Shawn1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
That is disappointing. Sorry to hear about that. Ive had that happen twice actually with GS spring drives. One failed after a month, the other after a few days. Both times I was given a new watch. I hope you do too. I wouldn’t accept them sending in for service. I would want a replacement. Good luck!
I'll inquire about a replacement watch - but I'm not optimistic. It came from Reed's Jewelers in NC, their return policy is 30 days. Not sure they will want to exchange it, but we will see.
Old 3 June 2024, 10:42 PM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
That’s not good and should be switched out by the retailer after such a short time of ownership
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:35 AM   #5
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M/214270
Is it on warranty?
«Watches? In those of the ancient world, when they were sunny, there was a phrase inscribed: Omnia vulnerant, ultima necat all the hours hurt, the last kills. That certainty is, ultimately, the secret mechanism that moves the hands of the clock.
forcinitijp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:57 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcinitijp View Post
Is it on warranty?
Well it was bought new from AD and only a few months old is how a read the post so yes he will have a warranty .And like all mechanical things some could fail but the majority go on for decades, could be a simple fix but that's what warranty for to fix these maybe problems.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 03:11 AM   #7
Shawn1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it on warranty?
Yes, purchased brand new from an authorized dealer.
Old 4 June 2024, 03:36 AM   #8
fivedime
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58 925, OP39, DD
That’s what warranties are for. Most watches, if they’re going to fail, will do so in the first year or two. Sucks that you got one that let go early, but it *will* be fixed, and for free…
fivedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 04:30 AM   #9
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

The only problem is that you are going to be between a month and two months without the clock ... the AD could make an exception and change it... but.. and now is when the doubt comes in about the Tudor movements and their revision before going out on the street.. it already happened with the GMTs...
«Watches? In those of the ancient world, when they were sunny, there was a phrase inscribed: Omnia vulnerant, ultima necat all the hours hurt, the last kills. That certainty is, ultimately, the secret mechanism that moves the hands of the clock.
Old 4 June 2024, 04:33 AM   #10
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well it was bought new from AD and only a few months old is how a read the post so yes he will have a warranty .And like all mechanical things some could fail but the majority go on for decades, could be a simple fix but that's what warranty for to fix these maybe problems.
Yes, that's how it should be.. but a new watch two months after leaving the AD... they should exchange it for a new one and not have to send it to the warranty that will take more than a month at least.. that the AD dealt with that.
Old 4 June 2024, 04:34 AM   #11
swexlin
"TRF" Member

My Tudor BB Chrono, which I purchase new from my AD July 21, went 3 months. One day in October, I was timing something, and the pushers stopped working. No click. The chrono was running, watch was running, but couldn't turn off nor reset the chrono.

Took it back to my AD, they sent it in for warranty. Got it back in December. I'm assuming since its Tudor, they probably just swapped in a new movement.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 11:18 AM   #12
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post

Quote:
...but a new watch two months after leaving the AD... they should exchange it for a new one and not have to send it to the warranty...
So, in your scenarios, what is the cutoff for a replacement? Can I get a new one 3 months after purchase? 6 months? A year? 2 years?

Sucks on the timing of the failure but that watch might have been manufactured months (or even a year or more) before it was sold.

It's not the AD's fault and that's what a warranty is for, defects that the manufacturer fixes.
Old 4 June 2024, 11:29 AM   #13
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
So, in your scenarios, what is the cutoff for a replacement? Can I get a new one 3 months after purchase? 6 months? A year? 2 years?

Sucks on the timing of the failure but that watch might have been manufactured months (or even a year or more) before it was sold.

It's not the AD's fault and that's what a warranty is for, defects that the manufacturer fixes.
Good question. But for me as mentioned wasn’t long after purchase. I have a very high purchase history with this AD and it wasn’t even a question with them. I was polite, they felt bad about it and offered right away to bring replacement watches in. And since then I have purchased much more. It was the right thing to do. It was good business in their part.
Old 4 June 2024, 11:30 AM   #14
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Disappointing for sure. Not unique to Tudor or their movements. Occasionally happens to many watch brands including Rolex. They may not replace it but at a minimum I would ask the AD to request Tudor prioritize the repair. Let us know how it goes.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 02:05 PM   #15
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
I think yall asking for a new watch in lieu of warranty service is unreasonable
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 08:24 PM   #16
Shawn1
"TRF" Member

I took the watch back to the dealer this past Monday. There happened to be a Tudor rep in the store. He apologized multiple times, said this should not happen as the watch is a "tank" and wanted to know if I wore it every day.

I did wear it every day - at least the 60 days that it worked...

Anyway, it was sent back for service with a request to expedite and referenced the Tudor rep's name. Not sure if that really matters or not as they couldn't give a turn-around time.

In any case, it will be repaired and returned - hopefully quickly.
Old 13 June 2024, 10:08 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I hope it comes back quickly and right.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 10:56 PM   #18
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

It sucks, but I’m sure it will get sorted out. Hope you get your watch back quickly.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 10:56 PM   #19
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Hoping it comes back and works perfectly and the turnaround time is a short one
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 01:36 AM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It doesn't happen often but it happens. It's a pity when it happens to you but it has to happen to someone. That's mechanical watches for you.

What you are entitled to under the warranty is unambiguous. An AD might replace a nearly new watch at their discretion, but that's the AD's call. If it goes wrong repeatedly you will have a stronger case for full refund or replacement.

I hope it works out for you and quickly.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 02:38 AM   #21
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apdl View Post
I think yall asking for a new watch in lieu of warranty service is unreasonable
I didn’t ask. It was offered without question.
Old 16 July 2024, 10:07 AM   #22
Shawn1
"TRF" Member

Watch was fixed and I picked it up today!!
Old 16 July 2024, 11:24 AM   #23
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post
Watch was fixed and I picked it up today!!
Was actually discussing this in another thread, that Tudor is going towards hot swapping in new movements rather than servicing/fixing them. Considering the fast turnaround, I wonder if that's what happened with your watch.

I was actually going to comment that the good news is you might get a brand new movement in the watch, so maybe that's indeed what happened.

Anyway, I'm glad you got your watch back, enjoy!
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:35 AM   #24
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Was actually discussing this in another thread, that Tudor is going towards hot swapping in new movements rather than servicing/fixing them. Considering the fast turnaround, I wonder if that's what happened with your watch.

I was actually going to comment that the good news is you might get a brand new movement in the watch, so maybe that's indeed what happened.

I heard this as well. I was kind of surprised that the movements are this cheap. Makes me wonder what it actually costs to manufacture a Tudor.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:42 AM   #25
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
I heard this as well. I was kind of surprised that the movements are this cheap. Makes me wonder what it actually costs to manufacture a Tudor.
My best guess would be about 20% of the MSRP of the watch, so maybe about $1000 USD for this model?
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:27 PM   #26
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post

Does anyone know if these are always new movements or rebuilt ones?
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2024, 07:43 AM   #27
Shawn1
"TRF" Member

I asked what was done - dealer didn't know. Watch was returned in a Tudor travel pouch and seems to be working just fine.
Old 18 July 2024, 09:08 AM   #28
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post
I asked what was done - dealer didn't know. Watch was returned in a Tudor travel pouch and seems to be working just fine.
Glad it was fixed and quickly