The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 June 2024, 09:18 AM   #1
Rybour
"TRF" Member

Overseas travel

Safe for wearing a Rolex TT Sub, Wife Lady President traveling abroad?

Italy
Switzerland
Germany
Poland

Thank you!
Rybour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 09:25 AM   #2
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Insure it and have a peace of mind.

Risk really depends on activities, areas and level of alcohol intoxication. That is true to any country in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 09:30 AM   #3
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
Depends on where exactly you’re going & what you’ll be doing.

I’ve worn my YM40 to Sicily, Zurich, & Düsseldorf in the last few weeks with no issues at all.
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 09:32 AM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

3 of these threads in 4 days is just wild
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 09:44 AM   #5
Rybour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
3 of these threads in 4 days is just wild
Judging by your post count you are on here slightly more than I am sir.
Old 9 June 2024, 09:48 AM   #6
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybour View Post
Judging by your post count you are on here slightly more than I am sir.
i'm not saying you should've searched for the threads or seen them, i'm saying it's insane that this is a weekly thread now and people can't travel without making one about every country or city. if you have to ask just leave it at home and go a week without wearing a rolex, it's not a necessity
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 09:51 AM   #7
Rybour
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
i'm not saying you should've searched for the threads or seen them, i'm saying it's insane that this is a weekly thread now and people can't travel without making one about every country or city. if you have to ask just leave it at home and go a week without wearing a rolex
Old 9 June 2024, 11:13 AM   #8
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

I definitely would be careful in Switzerland. That place has gotten rough. A close friend that is a Navy Seal got his sub stolen right off his wrist.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 11:17 AM   #9
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Overseas travel

I agree with the above. Of the 4 I would definitely avoid wearing a Rolex in Switzerland. It’s Mad Max levels of dangerous.

The other 3 are just as bad but if you wear an under the radar model combo with wearing it under a sleeve for good measure, inside the hotel room only, you will be ok
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 11:48 AM   #10
Roll-E
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I agree with the above. Of the 4 I would definitely avoid wearing a Rolex in Switzerland. It’s Mad Max levels of dangerous.

The other 3 are just as bad but if you wear an under the radar model combo with wearing it under a sleeve for good measure, inside the hotel room only, you will be ok
Do you know why? Does anyone know why Switzerland is dangerous these days? I would think the opposite.
Roll-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 12:37 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: Golden Tuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlsu2008 View Post
I definitely would be careful in Switzerland. That place has gotten rough. A close friend that is a Navy Seal got his sub stolen right off his wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll-E View Post
Do you know why? Does anyone know why Switzerland is dangerous these days? I would think the opposite.
They're being sarcastic.
Old 9 June 2024, 01:00 PM   #12
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
These threads are beyond annoying....
Is it safe to wear my Rolex when I go to the bathroom or should I ask a stranger outside to hold it while I make #2????

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 04:08 PM   #13
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Maybe we should start a travel club for all the people travelling overseas that don’t know if it’s safe to wear their watch. By travelling in a group maybe then they could feel safe? We could post of certain hot spots around the world that’s it’s recommended to wear a Timex and safe zones that you can knock yourself out and wear your pride and joy.
For anyone with a Timex I used your brand as an example only
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 04:20 PM   #14
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
If you are planning to actually explore any country and perhaps end up in unexpected places I would suggest leaving precious stuff at home. I usually do and then I can relax and just do whatever I want I go wherever I feel like.

The exception for me would be Japan.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 05:02 PM   #15
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Ask yourself, would you feel ridiculous having to explain that you wore a $10k+ watch while traveling overseas to the local police if you got robbed? If the answer is no, then wear it.

The likelihood of getting robbed is almost 0. But since you’ve asked the question you’re clearly concerned. Why take away from such a great vacation just to wear a watch?
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 05:32 PM   #16
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
I think wear it and see which country it gets stolen in then start a thread saying that country isn’t safe so we all know for the future ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 05:38 PM   #17
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I wouldn’t do it. You’re an easy mark and although violent crime is lower in most of Europe there’s plenty of theft.

Most major cities in the US are worse, of course, but it’s easier to blend in and you probably know where to go and where not to go. Americans stick out like a sore thumb in all other parts of the world.
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 05:46 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybour View Post
Safe for wearing a Rolex TT Sub, Wife Lady President traveling abroad?

Italy
Switzerland
Germany
Poland

Thank you!
Just cannot understand why some buy Rolex watches if you got to ask when and where you can wear it. Simple answer don't have a neon sign saying hey look at me I am wearing a Rolex or just use common sense.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 06:01 PM   #19
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
I understand the desire to wear Rolex abroad and the belief that many people on the forum have travelled extensively for work or leisure; therefore, it would stand to reason that some individuals would have a better understanding of the current safety or risks in various cities/countries. Nothing wrong with asking. No one likes it, then they don’t have to answer. Best responses I think are to insure the watch and the decision completely depends on the activities you all will be pursuing. Have fun!
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 06:38 PM   #20
agriculture&watches
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Poland, Germany, Swiss safe
Italy not
agriculture&watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 07:54 PM   #21
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
No place is safe without situational awareness. If you’re worried in the slightest then it’s time for a budget travel watch. However, this mentality is likely to eventually nullify the enchantment of owning luxury watches. I comment through experience.
♛ 116689 ♛ 218206 Roman ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Bronzo 671 & 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 08:35 PM   #22
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
if you have to ask just leave it at home and go a week without wearing a rolex, it's not a necessity
This is a fair point and a simple solution. If there is doubt or worry, just short circuit it by doing something else.

We went abroad late last year for the first time since early 2020. I wasn't specifically worried but what with the pandemic, financial slowdown, rising costs of living, I wondered if walking around with a Rolex had a potential to attract adverse attention. I took a Black Bay Heritage on a rubber strap. It was a good traveling companion and I didn't miss my Rolex watches of regret not taking one with me. I saw plenty of nice watches on my trip and a few Rolex.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 08:48 PM   #23
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
My wife wore her mint DJ steel,for 10 days last year , Paris and Niece, and 10 days this year in Rome and Sorrento. No issues. I left mine home. We are early risers, early to bed, never seemed to be in any bad , or dangerous spots. Just a tone of tourists. so for what that’s worth.
Old 9 June 2024, 09:12 PM   #24
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
I understand the desire to wear Rolex abroad and the belief that many people on the forum have travelled extensively for work or leisure; therefore, it would stand to reason that some individuals would have a better understanding of the current safety or risks in various cities/countries. Nothing wrong with asking. No one likes it, then they don’t have to answer. Best responses I think are to insure the watch and the decision completely depends on the activities you all will be pursuing. Have fun!

Bravo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 09:16 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
…. it's insane that this is a weekly thread now and people can't travel without making one about every country or city. if you have to ask just leave it at home and go a week without wearing a rolex, it's not a necessity
That’s pretty much my thought as well. If you have to ask then don’t
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 11:08 PM   #26
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I wearmine everywhere except Iceland and Florida.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 11:36 PM   #27
ChuMpion3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s pretty much my thought as well. If you have to ask then don’t
And are the people asking really reading the answers and saying - “well now I feel better.” ?

Using a forum like this for this type of life guidance is laughable.
ChuMpion3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 11:39 PM   #28
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Statistically, you’re much more at risk driving your car than having your watch stolen. Therefore, if you’re going to worry about having your watch stolen in cities, just don’t go out. Stay home with a good security system.

Personally, I have worn nice watches in more than 100 countries around the world, including some considered risky. Never had a single problem.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 11:43 PM   #29
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Wear long sleeves = safe almost anywhere.

Yesterday I had to walk around outside a bunch before dining so I threw on a hoodie with long sleeves. My wife was questioning this as it was hot outside and I reminded her of the guy who got followed home by a car full of guys with ARs and robbed on his driveway in broad daylight. Then there’s the guy who was wearing a similar gold DD who they didn’t even bother robbing, they just shot him dead and took it (insurance won’t help).
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 11:56 PM   #30
RolexAwaytheDew
"TRF" Member

I have traveled extensively in Europe and never thought twice about bringing and wearing my old Date Rolex or my Paneraii (pleural of Panerai?) You guys are starting to make my worry about it going forward, though . nah, I will just keep doing the same as ever.
RolexAwaytheDew is offline   Reply With Quote