The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2024, 01:29 AM   #1
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Atlanta AD for sizing?

Need to get a couple of links taken out of my new 36 mm OP celebration. Was planning on going to the Buckhead location of Brown and Company to have this done. I’ve seen others say it’s not necessary to go to an A.D., but then I’ve seen many say that going to an AD is your best bet. Anyone have opinions on this? Should I request that the tech at the store do it or would a sales person be competent? I’m assuming they probably do this type of work very often. I just think I’d be more comfortable going to an A.D. rather than a local watchmaker, but I am definitely open for opinions/suggestions. Thanks!

April
Newbie2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 01:32 AM   #2
bmwsubmariner
"TRF" Member

I bought a Rolex screwdriver specifically for this, but Bergeon makes great ones too. I will take my time doing it, tape off what I think is necessary and with the proper screwdriver, you won't damage the heads.

Otherwise, yes, I'd find the best AD in town to do it. I'm not in ATL so I cannot recommend one.
bmwsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 01:47 AM   #3
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsubmariner View Post
I bought a Rolex screwdriver specifically for this, but Bergeon makes great ones too. I will take my time doing it, tape off what I think is necessary and with the proper screwdriver, you won't damage the heads.

Otherwise, yes, I'd find the best AD in town to do it. I'm not in ATL so I cannot recommend one.
Thank you!
Old 15 June 2024, 03:52 AM   #4
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
I was thinkin of repositioning some links, I have 4 at 6 oclock and 6 at 12 oclock.
What tools did you get?
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 03:58 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The loctite can be really tricky to loosen. I would let an AD do it, if they will.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 04:06 AM   #6
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I'd personally buy the right size screwdriver. Many ADs will scratch your watch up, and you will probably have no recourse.
No one cares about your watch as much as you do, so you will take the greatest care.
If you have loctite that needs to be loosened, just put it under a hairdryer for a minute or so, and you'll likely be good to go. Work slowly, and you'll be fine!
One more thing to note: you may want to use the microadjust after taking out the link(s). You'll need a spring bar tool or tweezers for this.

Also, I'd go to an actual watchmaker before I used a sales associate at an AD!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 01:19 PM   #7
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

I am in Atlanta, if I was going to have an AD do it, it would be Brown and Co. They have a pretty long reputation and they have been good enough to not only keep expanding their Rolex offerings but also get tagged to spearhead the Patek boutique opening this summer as well.
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 01:33 PM   #8
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Atlanta AD for sizing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2277 View Post
Need to get a couple of links taken out of my new 36 mm OP celebration. Was planning on going to the Buckhead location of Brown and Company to have this done. I’ve seen others say it’s not necessary to go to an A.D., but then I’ve seen many say that going to an AD is your best bet. Anyone have opinions on this? Should I request that the tech at the store do it or would a sales person be competent? I’m assuming they probably do this type of work very often. I just think I’d be more comfortable going to an A.D. rather than a local watchmaker, but I am definitely open for opinions/suggestions. Thanks!

April

Yes, just take it to Brown and Co. The ADs have a machine that heats the links, to soften the Loctite applied at the factory. Best to let them do it. If you get deep into the hobby, you can buy a set of watch tools, and do it yourself, like many of us here. Congrats on your new Celebration OP.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 01:44 PM   #9
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Yes, just take it to Brown and Co. The ADs have a machine that heats the links, to soften the Loctite applied at the factory. Best to let them do it. If you get deep into the hobby, you can buy a set of watch tools, and do it yourself, like many of us here. Congrats on your new Celebration OP.

Kat

Thanks Kat, I appreciate it! I purchased some tools several months ago to use on some of my cheaper watches, but I'm just not confident enough to test my skills on my Rolex at this point. I figure Brown and Co. could do this in their sleep, so going to give them a shot. I really would rather an SA not do it, so I'll request the technician on duty do it and see how that goes.
Old 15 June 2024, 01:44 PM   #10
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnston713 View Post
I am in Atlanta, if I was going to have an AD do it, it would be Brown and Co. They have a pretty long reputation and they have been good enough to not only keep expanding their Rolex offerings but also get tagged to spearhead the Patek boutique opening this summer as well.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 15 June 2024, 03:20 PM   #11
aboutime
"TRF" Member

SA’s size a new Rolex when you purchase so I just let them do future adjustments for me. Totally understand the desire to ensure it’s done without scratches and with the most experienced person. Assume SA’s at Rolex are trained in this activity. I’m scared to do micro adjustments on my clasp and just let them do it. They’ve always advised me to come in rather than DIY’ing it. Maybe they can just tell I have no idea.
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 03:31 PM   #12
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Definitely best to let your AD resize it for you. The last thing you want is to scratch it doing it yourself and they are well practiced in doing such jobs
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 04:27 PM   #13
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The loctite can be really tricky to loosen. I would let an AD do it, if they will.
They mess them up too. Ask me how I know
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 08:06 PM   #14
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
I’m in the ATL area, and would use Brown & Co if I were to take it to an AD.
I personally do my own bracelet adjustments.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 03:55 AM   #15
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

It's not hard, just buy the correct tools and take your time. You'll be happy after you are done!
iatacs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 04:00 AM   #16
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
They mess them up too. Ask me how I know
My thoughts exactly. Do it myself now for this reason. Decent set of bergeon screwdrivers and job done.
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 04:53 AM   #17
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

If you ever do attempt it, make sure you use a hollow ground screwdriver. Its not just about the size of the screwdriver.

Quote:
Thanks Kat, I appreciate it! I purchased some tools several months ago to use on some of my cheaper watches, but I'm just not confident enough to test my skills on my Rolex at this point. I figure Brown and Co. could do this in their sleep, so going to give them a shot. I really would rather an SA not do it, so I'll request the technician on duty do it and see how that goes.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 04:57 AM   #18
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Definitely best to let your AD resize it for you. The last thing you want is to scratch it doing it yourself and they are well practiced in doing such jobs
Hmm...I'm not so sure based on recent experience.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:19 AM   #19
tkdgod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
What kit for sizing do you use??
tkdgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:22 AM   #20
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdgod View Post
What kit for sizing do you use??
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13505576835...mis&media=COPY
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 12:19 PM   #21
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Browns has a great guy on staff that can do it. Of course not sure what policy is, if you didn’t buy it from them. But they are the best
Dawgprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 02:36 PM   #22
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgprint View Post
Browns has a great guy on staff that can do it. Of course not sure what policy is, if you didn’t buy it from them. But they are the best
Thank you! I called the Buckhead location and they said they could do it. Is that the location that has the guy you're referring to or the Roswell location?
Old 16 June 2024, 02:37 PM   #23
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
Good to hear! Buckhead location is where I'm planning to take it. Thanks for the info.
Old 16 June 2024, 09:04 PM   #24
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good to hear! Buckhead location is where I'm planning to take it. Thanks for the info.
Roswell is where the service department and Rolex certified watch maker is. This is my main AD and has been for many years. Was just in there yesterday. Try going on a week day when it’s not so busy. Weekends at the service desk can be pretty nuts
JMGoodnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 01:15 AM   #25
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Buy a screwdriver; save a trip.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 03:42 PM   #26
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGoodnight369 View Post
Roswell is where the service department and Rolex certified watch maker is. This is my main AD and has been for many years. Was just in there yesterday. Try going on a week day when it’s not so busy. Weekends at the service desk can be pretty nuts
Ahh, okay thanks for letting me know. I wasn't really super happy about going to Buckhead but it's about 15 mins. closer to me. Think I'll try Roswell. I'll definitely go on a weekday when they're less busy. Thanks again!
Old 18 June 2024, 06:17 AM   #27
vatey
"TRF" Member

I did it myself and also brought to AD as well, here is my experience :
+ DIY : get ifixit tool box, iFixit Mako Driver Kit - 64 Precision Bit Set for Electronics Repair and loctite 242. Use heat gun, to heat it before unscrew.

+ AD : Mayors, they are in Atlanta and Alpharetta.

Best of luck.
vatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 06:59 AM   #28
NKflyer
2024 Pledge Member

The best tool I've ever used for DIY Rolex sizing is a knockoff copy of the Panerai screwdriver. It's 1.6mm, hollow-ground (a.k.a. cut out) tip. They're pretty ubiquitous, but here's one for sale on eBay for reference.

I prefer to size my own watches because I've had jewelers scratch them before, like others have mentioned. Also, you can really take your time tinkering with the fitment, move/center the clasp, etc. If the loctite is super tight, hit it with a cigarette lighter for a second or two.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:15 AM   #29
Mclark202
"TRF" Member

My AD actually dinged my brand new sub bracelet resizing it for me. I only noticed because the metal was gouged out and was sharp. Looking at it up close he link and screw head we’re messed up. I was worried they would have to order a new link part but they made it perfect when I brought it up. They also apologized and said they used the wrong screwdriver. Not sure what they did but it’s perfect now.

Mclark202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 04:15 PM   #30
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclark202 View Post
My AD actually dinged my brand new sub bracelet resizing it for me. I only noticed because the metal was gouged out and was sharp. Looking at it up close he link and screw head we’re messed up. I was worried they would have to order a new link part but they made it perfect when I brought it up. They also apologized and said they used the wrong screwdriver. Not sure what they did but it’s perfect now.

Why put THAT idea in a newbie’s head??? Geesh….. OP, take it to any competent jeweler, or AD, and you will be fine.

Kat

KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote