The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2024, 04:18 AM   #1
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Clear out and consolidation.......

20 years or so I've been collecting starting with seikos and then moved to tudor trying almost all models. Had a little dabble with omega however I've just now realised it's all fruitless as I just keep coming back to the crown!

Decided to let everything go which includes a few tudors and omegas and will start to daily my explorer 1, I also have a few seikos which will be useful when needed.

This time last year I probably had 12 (to me) nice watches, I'm now down to an explorer 214270, Explorer 2 226570, sub 114060 and my newly acquired op41 green dial.

It's a bold statement but I think I'm done with other brands and plan to wear and get my monies worth from the current line up.

Dread to think how much I've spent on this cruel hobby!!

Anyone else downsized or consolidated? Or gone the other way!?
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 04:30 AM   #2
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Bought way too many during Covid madness when it seemed like finding anything was a once in a lifetime event and prices would never come down. Started to lighten up and was doing a pretty good job getting out of the excess stuff, until the market suddenly dried up.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 04:42 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzie1982 View Post
20 years or so I've been collecting starting with seikos and then moved to tudor trying almost all models. Had a little dabble with omega however I've just now realised it's all fruitless as I just keep coming back to the crown!

Decided to let everything go which includes a few tudors and omegas and will start to daily my explorer 1, I also have a few seikos which will be useful when needed.

This time last year I probably had 12 (to me) nice watches, I'm now down to an explorer 214270, Explorer 2 226570, sub 114060 and my newly acquired op41 green dial.

It's a bold statement but I think I'm done with other brands and plan to wear and get my monies worth from the current line up.

The other way. Started w/ Patek, then Rolex, then Tudor, and then Seiko, with other brands scattered in between. This journey has taught me many brands have lots to offer and no reason to limit yourself. I will say Tudor checks more boxes for me that any other.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 05:36 AM   #4
rolexjackson
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
It is a cruel hobby indeed! I have had so so many pieces over the years. I have come to the conclusion that less is more, and ALWAYS buy what you like! Also I’ve made a few really good friends along the way. Thanks for sharing your watch journey.

Life is short buy the watch-
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 06:05 AM   #5
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Collecting is a bit of a rabbit hole. I'm pretty much exclusively "Rolex", and have been for well over a decade now - although I have a Hamilton Khaki field mechanical that I wear on hospital days just because it's so damn practical, readable and light weight!

I have gone from owning a single watch (16610LN) to over 15, and am now back at just 4. The trouble with having much more than 4 or 5 watches (I find), is that some inevitably get neglected and become box queens. I prefer to wear my pieces. Honestly, I don't think I would go back to "hardcore" collecting.

4-5 pieces is (for me) the sweet spot
Old 18 June 2024, 06:16 AM   #6
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

I think it’s like anything … but what you love and can’t wait to wear. Get rid of everything else. That goes for shoes, clothes, watches, everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 06:19 AM   #7
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Collecting is a bit of a rabbit hole. I'm pretty much exclusively "Rolex", and have been for well over a decade now - although I have a Hamilton Khaki field mechanical that I wear on hospital days just because it's so damn practical, readable and light weight!

I have gone from owning a single watch (16610LN) to over 15, and am now back at just 4. The trouble with having much more than 4 or 5 watches (I find), is that some inevitably get neglected and become box queens. I prefer to wear my pieces. Honestly, I don't think I would go back to "hardcore" collecting.

4-5 pieces is (for me) the sweet spot
I'm with you and sounds like my experiences. I had watches I hadn't wore for 6 months!
Old 18 June 2024, 06:20 AM   #8
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I think it’s like anything … but what you love and can’t wait to wear. Get rid of everything else. That goes for shoes, clothes, watches, everything.

Funny you say that I've not long had a clear out of clothes too!
Old 18 June 2024, 07:04 AM   #9
Submariner868
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaGS
Quote:

I had the same experience with shaving brushes and razors. Sold the other brands and now I only use Simpsons and Wolfman Razors, along with a Razorback Lupo for travel.
Submariner868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 07:08 AM   #10
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

I’ve downsized and got rid of nearly all of my low cost watches after a health scare made me realise every day wearing a eg. Seiko is a day not wearing a Rolex, so I now have just 3 Rolexes and 1 GShock for places and activities where you would be dumb to wear a £10k Rolex. You enjoy wearing a small collection or enjoy owning a large collection and I am very firmly in the first category.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 07:26 AM   #11
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
I’ve downsized and got rid of nearly all of my low cost watches after a health scare made me realise every day wearing a eg. Seiko is a day not wearing a Rolex, so I now have just 3 Rolexes and 1 GShock for places and activities where you would be dumb to wear a £10k Rolex. You enjoy wearing a small collection or enjoy owning a large collection and I am very firmly in the first category.
You make some good points. I've a friend who has a rolex op41 and it's never been out the box, it's crazy imo. Other than for work the plan is to wear and enjoy them from now on. I've got 6 mid range seikos watches which i should also consolidate I think!
Old 18 June 2024, 07:29 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Every time I think I've reached peak watches it turns out I haven't, but I'm now seriously wrestling with a downsizing and consolidation plan. If past plans are anything to go by I'll end up with more than I started with!
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 07:33 AM   #13
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You make some good points. I've a friend who has a rolex op41 and it's never been out the box, it's crazy imo. Other than for work the plan is to wear and enjoy them from now on. I've got 6 mid range seikos watches which i should also consolidate I think!
Yes I would reduce your Seikos down to 1 or 2 and enjoy wearing your smaller collection.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 07:37 AM   #14
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Every time I think I've reached peak watches it turns out I haven't, but I'm now seriously wrestling with a downsizing and consolidation plan. If past plans are anything to go by I'll end up with more than I started with!
Ha ha I've been there a million times!!
Old 18 June 2024, 08:21 AM   #15
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post

Amen
LuxLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 08:33 AM   #16
fishingbear

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
I have had as many as 25 or so Rolex at one point in my collection but have whittled it down to what you see in my signature below. I have found more interest in the newer, precious metal references of late and feel like I was neglecting wearing the watches that I had in my collection. There are a handful that I will never sell as they are going to be passed on to my children, but I am consolidated now to where I have my meteorite GMT and my eye on another PM reference.
The post Covid crazy market and my AD lost Rolex really got me thinking about all of this hobby. It has changed so very much.
It’s a hobby that is for us to enjoy, learn as you go and don’t be afraid to try new things with it. I have been collecting for over 25 years and the only one single watch that I have truly regretted selling was a 16710 and I was able to source another back in 2010, so if you do make mistakes, you can rectify it with very little skin loss in the normal market.
Have fun, tomorrow is not promised so get busy living.

GMT II 126719 Meteorite + GMT II 126710BLRO + Daytona 116500LN (White) + Submariner 16610LV + Explorer II 16570 Polar
+ Submariner 116610LV + GMT II 16713 Rootbeer + Sky-Dweller 336934 (Blue) + GMT II 16710 (Pepsi & Coke) + Sea-Dweller 116600

Breitling Premier B25 Datora

2FA Security Active
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 08:44 AM   #17
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
I've consolidated and then found myself adding back to the collection. In multiple cases, I have repurchased watches I thought I wouldn't miss, but did. At this point, I've decided to keep a moderate collection (currently at 8) as I find my watch mood changes back and forth. My current collection consists of Breitling, Panerai, and Rolex.
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 08:47 AM   #18
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I keep saying Im going to purge a few pieces to get into a Patek (likely a 5172)
but I take lousy pics and just never get off my butt to make it happen....

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 09:30 AM   #19
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 Black, DD40
How do y’all go about consolidating?
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 09:48 AM   #20
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Much harder to consolidate these days. You basically have to do a private sale yourself. I floated my 124060 and 228238 to a dealer and was pretty surprised (in a bad way) on what I was offered. They are keepers now for sure.
S’portEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:11 AM   #21
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I can appreciate your thoughts.

I had a fundamental shift a couple years ago. I was in JLC territory when I realized I blew past my watch price ceiling. I never realized I had one. I noticed I got more enjoyment from the Seiko currently on my wrist, than I did from way more expensive pieces hibernating in my watch box for months at a time.

I offloaded a DJ, Speedy Pro, Reverso, Explorer 36 all within several months. I've added a couple since then, but a whole different direction.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:40 AM   #22
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I’m gradually slimming down my collection, as well. I’ve sold 30 watches in the last several months, and will just keep thinning the herd, until I get down to a manageable number that I can actually use.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:44 AM   #23
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I’m gradually slimming down my collection, as well. I’ve sold 30 watches in the last several months, and will just keep thinning the herd, until I get down to a manageable number that I can actually use.

Kat

What have you sold and what is your collection now?
Old 18 June 2024, 11:45 AM   #24
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
Bought way too many during Covid madness when it seemed like finding anything was a once in a lifetime event and prices would never come down. Started to lighten up and was doing a pretty good job getting out of the excess stuff, until the market suddenly dried up.
Dude I checked your thread history - you’re not joking … you went bezerk!
Old 18 June 2024, 11:49 AM   #25
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

3-4 watches is the best collection size for sure. Ones that never leave the box need to go to make someone else happy. Within 3-4 pieces keep trying new things and eventually you will find pieces that bring most joy.

Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:54 AM   #26
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 Black, DD40
I have 6 currently but think 5 is the right number (consolidate 2 plus add money to buy a premium piece) but getting absolutely lowballed so just keeping them - call them my travel pieces to foreign countries
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 01:09 PM   #27
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxLemon View Post
What have you sold and what is your collection now?

Mostly mid level Seikos. My collection is still way too large. I have a lot of mid range watches. No Rolexes will be sold! I’m trying to get down to 4 Rolexes to add to some other favorite Swiss pieces, and I will keep my vintage Seiko pieces. When I got to over 100 watches, I knew I had to do something. Realistically, if I can get down to 20, with 4 or 5 being Rolexes, I should be satisfied.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 09:48 PM   #28
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I really like the consolidation game. I tell myself I am going to move watches along and typically I do. Then I begin a process of adding watches, typically ones I have not owned before, but I will circle back around and buy ones I have owned again. And so the process repeats itself. I try not to take myself or my watch collection to seriously and I focus on having fun and wearing my watches. In the end, meaning my end, I doubt it makes a difference.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:14 PM   #29
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I've been at both ends of the spectrum, and everywhere in between.

For me, it's all about finding joy with a watch...and what it brings to the table my other watches don't. So, when I find that...well, then I know it's a keeper.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 11:24 PM   #30
LAS45
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN, VTNR
For me currently I am content with 2 watches. I alternate weekly wear between the two watches.

LAS45 is offline   Reply With Quote