The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 June 2024, 02:08 PM   #1
WatchSphinx
"TRF" Member

Tonda GT Chrono vs. Tonda PF Sport Chrono

I am very interested in these 2 watches and I am struggling to decide which one to get. I have tried both on and I think they fit well and are both comfortable on my wrist (pics attached).

The tradeoff I see is:
- The latest Tonda PF Sport Chrono has a great design, great movement, very smooth chronograph operation, but not great date placement and I found the legibility a bit difficult for the subdials (but I was only indoors). I am also worried that the design could get "boring" over the long run
- the previous generation Tonda GT Chrono has a busier design but I feel it would get more interesting to look at over the long run. I do like the better symmetry, the big date, and of course the annual calendar. It is also much cheaper. However, the movement is clearly a lot less spectacular, the strap is not as good, and I have read online some not great stories on reliability and accuracy.

Any owners perspective on either of these watches that could help me decide?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3559.jpg (125.8 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3563.jpg (115.0 KB, 255 views)
WatchSphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 03:14 PM   #2
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

The GT chrono appears to be more symmetrical and pleasing to me with the date at 12 o'clock instead of at the 4 o'clock position. So, that would be my first choice.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 04:28 PM   #3
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
It would be hard to buy any Parm that wasn't the Tonda GMT Rattrapante. It's such an exquisite, albeit more expensive piece.

OP, your assessment is spot on. I like the Sport Chrono's bezel and markers better, but (I'll just be succinct), the date window is awful. Reminds me of some I've seen on B&R or Sinn watches.

Sounds like each has some trade offs, I've seen some of both heavily discounted recently at Toppers (pre owned), so shop smartly.

Great brand though, I think they are amazing....Good luck with your decision.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 08:57 AM   #4
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
The big date aperture at 12 is a no brainer in my mind. The VC overseas gen 2 had this too, which made it stand out against the others. What a shame PF went to 4 o’clock like the rest of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 09:07 AM   #5
Easy E
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

The legibility in the black subdials will be an issue in more lighting conditions than the grey. To me the grey subs look better and I like the big date at 12 feature. That would be my choice without hesitation.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:03 AM   #6
WatchSphinx
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the great input. I was leaning towards the GT Chrono and this all help confirm my thinking.
WatchSphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 08:50 AM   #7
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I like the new Tonda Sport Chrono. Cleaner dial, much improved movement and strap.
I wonder about legibility. Not of the subdials, but of the hour and minute hands. Any thoughts?
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 09:34 AM   #8
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

I have the blue PF and love it. From a horological perspective it's just so much better than the GT range. The "month" written in words has also been a poor design element for me too - it's completely obvious its the month. Like having "date" written in front of a date window.
Just remember that from memory these new designs aren't on the steel bracelets yet. That will elevate them still further and likely to happen in 2025 or 2026 would be my prediction - as well as the classic black and white panda on steel.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 10:15 AM   #9
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
I have the blue PF and love it. From a horological perspective it's just so much better than the GT range. The "month" written in words has also been a poor design element for me too - it's completely obvious its the month. Like having "date" written in front of a date window.
Just remember that from memory these new designs aren't on the steel bracelets yet. That will elevate them still further and likely to happen in 2025 or 2026 would be my prediction - as well as the classic black and white panda on steel.
I’m told the current steel bracelet fits on the sport line, at least as far as the chronograph is concerned, and it retails for $2200 and change. I think that’s reasonable. I inquired once about a titanium bracelet for a Bathyscape and it was $4400.
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 06:55 PM   #10
IGY
"TRF" Member

I much prefer the PF Sport: the integrated movement results in a much more slim watch that fits the wrist closer.

(The fact that it is a high beat 5Hz movement is kinda cool too, especially for a chronograph).

More money yes, but for me the extra dough would be worth it. Seriously considering this watch myself.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote