The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2024, 03:40 PM   #1
earlstone
"TRF" Member

GMT II 18K questions

I currently have a 126660 deepsea JC and recently acquired two tone jubilee GMT II. When the new jubilee with gold were launched I liked both equally. Although the more I looked I always loved all gold going back to the vintage version. My AD called with two tone and I said yes.

Wearing it I love how light and comfortable it is. I have a 6 3/4” wrist. At times I felt like my deep sea was too much. Too tall. Well after wearing the elegant GMT I really started to rethink it. I’ve been looking at trades plus cash. One that has come up is trading both plus some dough towards the GMT II 18k jubilee. I don’t really want to wear the deepsea anymore and I have a lingering eye for all gold. Like two tone is amazing, but I’ve wanted gold for years (looking at day dates, bluesy sub). The gmt 18k is sporty but still dressy.

So, anyone been down this road? is it better to swap watch for watch? Like swap deepsea for another sub and gmt eventually trade up? I really want daily drivers.
earlstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 09:57 PM   #2
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
From what you said, I would swap for a sub. You might need to try a few on. The sub will wear smaller than your deepsea, but not like your GMT. So if you are doing it for the more comfortable feel it is not the same. Also for the gold look, yes the bluesy will fill the void you are looking for and would make a really great pair with the GMT. But don’t forget about the LV, it is SS but gives you a more special feel on the wrist and not as flashy.
Old 22 June 2024, 10:24 PM   #3
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Nothing wrong with a two for one deal but I wouldn't want it to be my one and only watch.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 10:26 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned the new YG GMT on jubilee a couple of times since introduced and think it is a great watch. I only moved it along because the of the value beyond what I paid. I have been in the game for more than thirty years and once I get it in my mind that I am interested or want something I just put it together and make it work. Side steps and interim watches only cost me more in the long run and I still want something different. Figure it out and with your trades and some cash you can make it work. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231109_132050 (002).jpg (76.9 KB, 656 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 10:45 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have owned the new YG GMT on jubilee a couple of times since introduced and think it is a great watch. I only moved it along because the of the value beyond what I paid. I have been in the game for more than thirty years and once I get it in my mind that I am interested or want something I just put it together and make it work. Side steps and interim watches only cost me more in the long run and I still want something different. Figure it out and with your trades and some cash you can make it work. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
That’s an absolute stunner William. I didn’t realize you owned one.

OP, it’s a tough call. I get what you’re doing, but from my experience, trading “up” has often led to regret. I’d try to add first and then decide what needs to go.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 11:27 PM   #6
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Agree completely. You picked up the 126713 GRNR. I think that is a beautiful watch. But the all yellow-gold 126718 GRNR is absolutely fantastic. The Jubilee bracelet on an all gold sport Rolex is gorgeous and you aren't going to see it out in the wild much at all.

I sold off a few watches earlier this spring to justify/cover cost for the new gold GMT Master. A Sea-Dweller Deep Sea 126660, Submariner Date 116610, Explorer II 216570, Speedmaster Pro, and Panerai 510. These were all great watches, but I honestly wasn't wearing them much and figured I'd rather have something that really turned me on as compared to 5 really nice watches that I didn't care about. (I have two Submariner Date watches in stainless steel 126610 LN and LV, so I'd never leave myself without a Submariner Date!)
Old 22 June 2024, 11:28 PM   #7
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Full gold is never wrong.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 01:33 AM   #8
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I’m the worst person to give opinions on full gold because it’s always the same - just do it.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 02:18 AM   #9
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I’m the worst person to give opinions on full gold because it’s always the same - just do it.
Exactly
Old 23 June 2024, 02:41 AM   #10
Stealthdriver
"TRF" Member

I was in the store yesterday and got to try on the exhibition model. It's very nice.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Stealthdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 02:57 AM   #11
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I think you should get rid of the large heavy Sub, and get a regular Sub, perhaps a Starbucks for some color, see how you like it, then if the bimetal GMT and Sub don’t satisfy you, consider the full gold. Personally, I wouldn’t want a full gold piece as my daily driver. I don’t even like wearing the bimetal as a daily. Sometimes you just need a nice all stainless piece. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 03:02 AM   #12
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I think you should get rid of the large heavy Sub, and get a regular Sub, perhaps a Starbucks for some color, see how you like it, then if the bimetal GMT and Sub don’t satisfy you, consider the full gold. Personally, I wouldn’t want a full gold piece as my daily driver. I don’t even like wearing the bimetal as a daily. Sometimes you just need a nice all stainless piece. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Only reason not to wear a full gold daily is the worry of damaging it I think if you can get over that there’s nothing better :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 03:29 AM   #13
earlstone
"TRF" Member

I appreciate you guys. Good advice. Keep it coming.
Old 23 June 2024, 03:41 AM   #14
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Gold never gets old. I’d say do it.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 04:30 AM   #15
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Gold is heavy and will be about what your DSSD is in SS. That could be an issue and a TT might get you the gold in an easier to wear weight. If you like them flashy there is none more flashy than the TT Bluesy. It screams on the wrist. You could tone it down with a black TT Sub that still has a lot of “pop”. You have to like a heavy watch to daily a full PM Rolex.
Old 23 June 2024, 04:43 AM   #16
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
How old are you and what’s your build? Trade the JC for a sub, 2 watches are better than 1
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 07:03 AM   #17
earlstone
"TRF" Member

50. 6’, 200 lbs. The weight of the deepsea doesn’t bother me as much as the height and size on my wrist. I’ve thought about bluesy 41mm sub all gold as well as a day date. I also like the white gold sub and thought a good trio would be that for the deepsea, swap to GMT for full gold, and day date to round out. It’s just… I don’t have that much dough ������

The GMT 18k seems like a sweet spot. A Starbucks or Cookie Monster to compliment.
Old 23 June 2024, 07:47 AM   #18
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Nothing wrong with a two for one deal but I wouldn't want it to be my one and only watch.
My thoughts too.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 12:50 AM   #19
earlstone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
My thoughts too.
If you were to have one watch, all gold daily then what would it be?
Old 24 June 2024, 01:23 AM   #20
IgorYgy
"TRF" Member

I believe that when it comes to daily full gold watch, it doesn’t get much better than GRNR, as the jubilee bracelet hides scratches very well, so does the ceramic bezel.
IgorYgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:55 AM   #21
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlstone View Post
If you were to have one watch, all gold daily then what would it be?
If we're talking one watch for use as a daily, it wouldn't be gold. (As much as I like PM). That's why I would advise against trading two for one and ending up with a gold watch.

For me, the ideal scenario would be a comfortable, steel watch of your choosing as your daily and a PM watch (again, of your choosing) for those days you want to wear gold.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:58 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Old 25 June 2024, 08:00 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
If we're talking one watch for use as a daily, it wouldn't be gold. (As much as I like PM). That's why I would advise against trading two for one and ending up with a gold watch.

For me, the ideal scenario would be a comfortable, steel watch of your choosing as your daily and a PM watch (again, of your choosing) for those days you want to wear gold.
Old 25 June 2024, 08:31 AM   #24
earlstone
"TRF" Member

I have an 80's sea dweller I can wear for now to balance with the 18k GMT. I'd go after a modern sub next for sure.
Old 25 June 2024, 02:56 PM   #25
RCorsa
"TRF" Member

YG GMT is absolutely amazing. I have it a YG /Blue Sub and a white gold OF Daytona ghost. I think next to the OF it’s the most comfortable and absolutely sunning PM watch. I rarely wear the sub anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RCorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 03:06 PM   #26
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
So you have a watch you never wear (and aren't crazy about) and a two tone version of a really cool watch.

You trade in said watch you never wear and get a better version of the watch you have and like. Full gold is next level.

Do it !
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 04:19 PM   #27
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Only reason not to wear a full gold daily is the worry of damaging it I think if you can get over that there’s nothing better :)
Or if you live in a city where crime is out of control like many cities in southern California.

I will wear steel or white gold.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:20 PM   #28
earlstone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
Or if you live in a city where crime is out of control like many cities in southern California.

I will wear steel or white gold.
Ha. I live in LA
Old 25 June 2024, 11:25 PM   #29
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

Two tone for mean either works perfectly , or looks tacky , and often the reasons are hard to pin down , just vague nuances etc etc ... but solid gold is pure Sonny Crockett and the Miami Vice vibe is worth that alone ... YG would be my choice.
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:40 PM   #30
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex was a Submariner purchased when my Granddaughter was born. My wife procured it and wears on an orange RubberB strap.
I have purchased and sold both a DSSD JC and SD43. This weekend purchased a Sub LV. It's perfect. I am a large mammal and can pull off the larger divers but the Sub Date just feels best. I tend towards larger watches now i.e. Polar ExpII and Sky-Dweller and was delighted to add the 41mm Sub to my collection.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote