The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2024, 11:53 PM   #1
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Got the Call & Passed...Did I Make a Mistake?

So I got the call this past Friday for a DJ41 rose gold & steel w/chocolate dial.

I had asked for this watch a while ago with another AD, but that one closed & seems like the Rolex Boutique near me picked up their list.

After some deliberation I decided to pass on it.

for the past few weeks I had been wanting to go by & change that particular watch to a 36mm DJ, same configuration, I just hadn't had the chance to do so, since that boutique is a bit out of my way. I already have a DJ41 & I began feeling that gold in the 41mm would be too much, felt it would be much better with the smaller 36mm.

At the same time, I've had a bunch of expenses lately, recently bought a new mattress (almost $3k), had an emergency vet visit (almost $4k & my sweet girl died anyway), went on vacation last month & recently picked up an Explorer I.......so I didn't feel blowing $15k on a watch that I didn't need was wisest move at the moment.

So what do ya'll think, did I make a mistake? Should I have bit the bullet & jumped on a DJ at retail? Did it "ruin my chances" at future watches from that boutique?

Either way, I'm ok with where my collection is at right now, the few pieces that I still desire I could always get via gray, I'm not after anything super rare or anything....
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:58 PM   #2
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ocho1~ View Post
So I got the call this past Friday for a DJ41 rose gold & steel w/chocolate dial.

I had asked for this watch a while ago with another AD, but that one closed & seems like the Rolex Boutique near me picked up their list.

for the past few weeks I had been wanting to go by & change that particular watch to a 36mm DJ, same configuration, I just hadn't had the chance to do so, since that boutique is a bit out of my way. I already have a DJ41 & I began feeling that gold in the 41mm would be too much, felt it would be much better with the smaller 36mm.

At the same time, I've had a bunch of expenses lately, recently bought a new mattress (almost $3k), had an emergency vet visit (almost $4k & my sweet girl died anyway), went on vacation last month & recently picked up an Explorer I.......so I didn't feel blowing $15k on a watch that I didn't need was wisest move at the moment.

So what do ya'll think, did I make a mistake? Should I have bit the bullet & jumped on a DJ at retail? Did it "ruin my chances" at future watches from that boutique?

Either way, I'm ok with where my collection is at right now, the few pieces that I still desire I could always get via gray, I'm not after anything super rare or anything....
Don't sweat it - bigger things in life to worry about.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, heartbreaking I know.
Old 24 June 2024, 11:59 PM   #3
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
you did the right thing. Just because they offer to you, dont mean you have to take it. it's a big purchase
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:00 AM   #4
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I'm sorry about the loss of your baby. I'm sure she lived a great life by your side.

You absolutely did not make a mistake - Retailers will do anything to move pieces, and you were just another name on their list. Whenever another piece comes in that has not already been allocated, you'll get a call too.

This new AD that I have been building a relationship with sends me whatever all the time. 9 out of 10 I say no thanks.
Old 25 June 2024, 12:11 AM   #5
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Sooty to hear about your dog. If you weren’t feeling the watch, then you made the right choice. What type of mattress did you go with?
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:36 AM   #6
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
No you didnt make a mistake
Seddyspaghetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:46 AM   #7
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss. You did not make a mistake.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:53 AM   #8
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Sooty to hear about your dog. If you weren’t feeling the watch, then you made the right choice. What type of mattress did you go with?
We went with a Helix Sleep Dusk Luxe. It kept popping up in all the "top 10 mattress" list I was researching. So far, so good. It's pretty comfortable.
Old 25 June 2024, 01:03 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Any Rolex is just a watch nothing more, paying bills looking after your animals very sorry your dog passed a great loss ,but looking after yourself is far more important than any watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:06 AM   #10
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

36MM is the way forward
spellmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:07 AM   #11
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Sounds like you’ve got your priorities straight.

Very sorry about your dog.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:48 AM   #12
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

I do try to keep priorities in order. This is after just a hobby, an expensive one at that when you get to this level, lol.

And thank you all for your condolences on Petunia's passing. It was a real gut shot that we are still recovering from. One of life's most unfair things is that dogs have such a short lifespan. What made this so much harder is that it was totally unexpected, she was fine that day, ate, played & was hanging out with us on the sofa watching TV.

Then later when my wife is getting ready for bed she notices Petunia wasn't breathing right, we decided to take her to the emergency vet at around 11:30pm, where they discovered she had a big mass in her abdomen. When they were prepping her for surgery she crashed & they couldn't resuscitate her. We were devastated!! Still are.

She was the best dog I've ever had & I've had dogs my whole life! So calm, so sweet & extremely well behaved. I've changed my avatar to her in remembrance.

she'll always be with me regardless, I loved het so much I got a tattoo of her a few years ago, lol.

Tuni Tat.1.jpg
Old 25 June 2024, 02:47 AM   #13
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Quote:

It’s happened and now in the past, sorry for your loss I’ve lost two dogs in the last three years it’s heartbreaking, I’m sure another watch will come up, sometimes the timing is just not right, c’est la vie ..

That tattoo is superb btw, really captures her ..
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 03:34 AM   #14
marmite2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: Slim wrist master
I did the opposite, I passed on the 36mm DJ, Jubilee, Fluted and Chocolate dial.

I didn't like the way, that on the 36mm Chocolate dial, text is in "White" rather that the "Gold" on the 41mm..........although I probably regret my decision, LOL and have thought about reordering.

Sorry for your loss.
marmite2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 06:08 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Interesting to hear the Rolex boutique picked up the list from the old store. You did right. Buy only what you want when you want.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 06:31 AM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The mistake would have been to buy something you didn't want.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:31 AM   #17
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Lots of information. Sounds like you made the right decision. These watches are far too expensive to buy something you don’t love.
Old 25 June 2024, 07:46 AM   #18
aboutime
"TRF" Member

Very sorry for the loss of your little girl. What a beautiful pup. Doesn’t sound like the right time for that or any watch. I personally look at a watch as a celebration and not potentially something that could be connected to a sad occasion, there’s many other things for that, my view.
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:37 AM   #19
dddl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What?
Very sorry about your dog's passing, that is a great loss!
The watch is just that, a watch...
dddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:47 AM   #20
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Life happened and put you in a position where it wasn't prudent to spend 14k on a watch at that time. That's where most people find themselves permanently.

Smart move. Availability is improving every day, and there will be better timing in the future.

I'm sorry about Petunia. It sounds like you were very blessed to have her for the time you do. I wish I could have met her.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:05 AM   #21
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Navigating Life and all its unexpected twists and turns is the most important focus, IMO; you *absolutely* did the right thing.

Condolences for your loss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:32 AM   #22
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

This is what sucks about the AD system.. you don't get to buy the watch when YOU want it, but instead you get the random call when you're not ready and you have to pass after waiting (possibly) years. My biggest fear.

I recently had to put a roof on my house and right now would be bad timing.. so I'm assuming I'm going to be getting the call very soon LOL
Ferrari-F430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:47 AM   #23
FL2024
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 214270
You made made your decision, don't look back, only move forward.
FL2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:57 AM   #24
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your dog first and foremost. I would do the same thing and pay anything to help our little buddy live a better life.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:45 AM   #25
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
I am so sorry for the loss of a wonderful friend. Your tattoo is well-done and a fantastic tribute to a much-missed member of the family.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:09 PM   #26
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss, I feel your pain, I lost one last year and still have fully recovered.
As a fellow dog lover is a great loss. With your AD call , you did the right thing if you were not feeling it, then pass there will always be another one down the road.
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:10 PM   #27
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
So sorry for your loss. We lost ours just under a year ago and still haven’t fully gotten past it.

For the watch of course you didn’t make a mistake. If it not exactly what you wanted and the timing isn’t right then there is nothing to stress over.
Old 25 June 2024, 01:23 PM   #28
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

you did the right thing. as for the watch, I really wanted to love that model - and still kinda do - but quite a bit of empty dial space.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:17 PM   #29
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Purchased at 3861 Speedy when they first came out only to be called that following week for blue YM 40 I asked for. Told them I had to pass due to other priorities.

Came back later and got a blue DJ 41 fluted/jubilee within 3 months after asking. I think simply being honest about what you want is always best approach.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:42 PM   #30
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
No issues.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote