The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2024, 04:00 AM   #1
trandonnghia92
"TRF" Member

The truth about Rolex Service Center Polishing ?

Guy, any of you have your rolex to be polished by RSC ?

Are they really damage the watch or rounded-up the shape of the case/lug after just 1 polish ? Many thanks
trandonnghia92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 04:04 AM   #2
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I have never had an issue and wouldn’t consider using anyone else.
Some have had issues.
Old 25 June 2024, 05:11 AM   #3
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
You’ll get people saying it’s perfect that it doesn’t change anything and that Rolex has invented a way to polish a high volume of watches without any failure.

On the other hand you have people who have read the take of Sisyphus and don’t bother polishing.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 05:15 AM   #4
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Polishing = metal being removed. Regardless of how you want to look at it, polishing will alter the look of the watch - to what extent and how well the polishing is executed comes down to the polisher. Watches are hand polished. So you’ll inevitably get a large degree of variation from person to person.

Unless you’re an absolute cave man with your watches (ie. deep dents etc), I don’t see the need to ever have a watch polished. If anything, just a light re-brushing of the bracelet.

My $0.02.
Old 25 June 2024, 05:33 AM   #5
Dendi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Polishing = metal being removed. Regardless of how you want to look at it, polishing will alter the look of the watch - to what extent and how well the polishing is executed comes down to the polisher. Watches are hand polished. So you’ll inevitably get a large degree of variation from person to person.

Unless you’re an absolute cave man with your watches (ie. deep dents etc), I don’t see the need to ever have a watch polished. If anything, just a light re-brushing of the bracelet.

My $0.02.
Agreed
Dendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 06:31 AM   #6
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Don‘t
Old 25 June 2024, 07:00 AM   #7
messikens
"TRF" Member

Agree - touch up the bracelet if you feel so inclined. Unless you have a super deep sing (laser weld), polishing invariably removes metal. You can tell esp on the bezel where the teeth are not as crisp and pronounced.

I'd stay away and just enjoy the unique character of your watch, it's your own scratches that truly makes a mass product a "piece unique"
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:00 AM   #8
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

I watches a YouTube video about polishing a few weeks back.

By his own admissions he was a watch maker by profession and weighed a sub before and after a polish.

It lost the equivalent of a hair in weight after the polish.

I'd have no hesitation getting rolex to perform a polish come service time. A few during its lifetime won't cause any issues imo.
Bozzie1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:49 AM   #9
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzie1982 View Post
I watches a YouTube video about polishing a few weeks back.

By his own admissions he was a watch maker by profession and weighed a sub before and after a polish.

It lost the equivalent of a hair in weight after the polish.

I'd have no hesitation getting rolex to perform a polish come service time. A few during its lifetime won't cause any issues imo.
The way it always was before the internet, TRF and watches as investments. The way it will continue to be for this old fool I guess.
Old 25 June 2024, 09:02 AM   #10
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Every time I have had a Rolex serviced at an RSC, I’ve opted for their refinishing the case and bracelet. I have never had a watch not come back looking fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 June 2024, 09:06 AM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trandonnghia92 View Post

Are they really damage the watch or rounded-up the shape of the case/lug after just 1 polish ? Many thanks

Do you own a new model Rolex, or an older one?

No, they do not damage the shape of the case or lug profiles after just one polishing process.

If your watch case has pre-existing damage, then your experience will be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:19 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Repairing bad dings and dents is my motto.

I wouldn’t polish a watch with simple scratches as they’ll just be back again in short order.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:27 AM   #13
FL2024
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 214270
Quote:

My $0.02.
Very untrue. Metal may be removed, but it's a micron or a few microns. To put in perspective, that's far less than a hair. The human eye isn't even capable of seeing anything less than 25 microns. If the polish is done by a skilled professional, you will not be able to notice any alteration from factory finish. The watch will look 95% new, minus maybe a few dents. It is only when the watchmaker is incompetent or inexperienced when things become noticeable.
FL2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:29 AM   #14
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

To me, it's a matter of how often you get it serviced. If it's once in 10 or 20 years and it's one service, I can't see where that would be bad for a watch you wore every day and had some wear. If you're sending it out every few years, then no, I wouldn't recommend that.
Ferrari-F430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:58 AM   #15
FL2024
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 214270
Do not be afraid of polishing a watch if it's banged up. Just have it done through RSC.
FL2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:01 AM   #16
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

If you send it to RSC (especially Dallas) I think it’s perfectly fine. I always chuckle when people post picture asking if a watch has been polished and then the experts weigh in with opinions ranging from: it’s ruined to never been touched.
Unless there are deep scratches you won’t be able to tell. And it’ll look like new.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:42 PM   #17
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
It’s a crapshoot. You have no way of knowing how good the tech is. Better to not polish it than have someone screw it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:09 PM   #18
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

My $0.02.
True enough.

Expectations must be realistic.
A watch that goes in with micro marring on the polished surfaces will not have it's appearance perceptably changed over it's lifetime of polishing at service time.
Alternately, if the watch goes in looking like it was towed along the ground behind a car on a road trip from city to city couldn't be saved by JC himself to look factory fresh at the finish of the polishing.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:16 PM   #19
911cz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
If is really needs due to bigger dents and damage then go for it otherwise keep they way it is as it will get there again after the polish.
911cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 05:30 PM   #20
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
My brothers 3yr old blnr went in for repair, came back polished with soft edge case and bezel. Never again.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 05:40 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trandonnghia92 View Post

Today there is a anti polish syndrome god knows why as long as its only done at normal routine RSC times. Picture below of my own working tool 16600SD I am sure this watch has seen more use and sometimes abuse than todays pampered watches will see in ten life times. Picture taken after last service in Singapore this was its third service and polish by various RSC world wide. Now had 4 services and polish and still looks good today now almost 25 years old. Having serviced many many Rolex watches over the plus 50 odd years of owning and wearing Rolex watches, never ever had a bad service or bad polish from any RSC. But must admit I don't have a loupe to expect every miniscule area of any watch I have ever owned.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 06:37 PM   #22
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

I’d say the crown guards look a little thin and you got wide chamfers on the lugs there Padi?
Old 25 June 2024, 06:52 PM   #23
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I’ll say just had my first experience with polishing. Result is outstanding and I cannot see any “overpolished negative effects”. I was pleasantly surprised. I’m one who would rather have the blemishes than a look that is unnatural by over polishing.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:03 PM   #24
lamadoo
"TRF" Member

Lots of uneducated responses here.
Proper polishing moves the material not remove material! When it comes polishing, its an artwork and should only take it down to the micron. I would definitely trust RSC to do it. If you take your Rolex to any watchmaker or God forbid a jeweler or pre-own dealer for a polish, then they will remove material down to the defect!

Watch this video about what it means to 'moving material'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI_N2XRffdk
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:21 PM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
I’d say the crown guards look a little thin and you got wide chamfers on the lugs there Padi?
Sorry you don't know what you are talking about chamfers and lug guards are as they should be for a very late 1990s 16600 SD.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:23 PM   #26
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadoo View Post
Lots of uneducated responses here.
Proper polishing moves the material not remove material! When it comes polishing, its an artwork and should only take it down to the micron. I would definitely trust RSC to do it. If you take your Rolex to any watchmaker or God forbid a jeweler or pre-own dealer for a polish, then they will remove material down to the defect!

Watch this video about what it means to 'moving material'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI_N2XRffdk
I'm curious
Do you see any necessity for Laser welding as a legitimate part of the polishing process?
Old 25 June 2024, 07:28 PM   #27
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Yeah.
Now that you come to mention it.
It may appear that the chamfers are 2 or 3 thou wider at the end of the lugs than a factory fresh watch of that era.

Having said that.
I reckon Peter's watch has been pretty well babied compared with mine
Old 25 June 2024, 07:55 PM   #28
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Sorry you don't know what you are talking about chamfers and lug guards are as they should be for a very late 1990s 16600 SD.
Just looked a bit Bexley edged to me, but if I’m incorrect I accept that.

Hyper critical aside, truth is, it’s in lovely condition and I’d buy that myself.
Old 25 June 2024, 08:15 PM   #29
lamadoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I'm curious
Do you see any necessity for Laser welding as a legitimate part of the polishing process?
Yup. RSCs have started utilizing it though not all have them yet. Definitely useful for deep dings and on the corners.
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:41 PM   #30
karleone
"TRF" Member

I always request that my watch not be polished during service, and I make sure this is documented. Why? Because my watches are either unpolished or repolished with great care. I don't want to risk Rolex compromising this by performing a polish. Regardless of what polishing enthusiasts claim, a repolished watch will never match the appearance of a factory-original unpolished Rolex.

This is particularly true for 4- and 5-digit models such as the Submariner, Sea-Dweller, GMT-Master, and Explorer II, which have cases with bevels and chamfers. After repolishing, many watches lose these original features. It's common to see rounded lugs, non-sharp lug holes, rounded crown guards, and lug holes that are too close to the remaining bevels or chamfers. Additionally, the lugs often lack the correct V-brushed finish or exhibit a grain different from the Rolex factory finish.

People who claim that a Rolex will return from the Rolex Service Center (RSC) looking brand new often lack sufficient knowledge. In the best-case scenario, your watch has been repolished by an expert like RolliWorks or LA Watch Works (LAWW), or by a highly qualified technician at the RSC, and it will look decent or even great, though not 100% like the original factory finish. In the worst case, the watch has been polished by someone less skilled (which happens even at RSCs), resulting in a watch that appears scratch-free to the untrained eye but lacks the sharpness and precision of the original. An expert will be able to tell that the watch has been repolished, and it won't look as good as it initially did.
karleone is online now   Reply With Quote