The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2024, 02:32 AM   #1
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Patek & Rolex
Skydweller reference #/ buying question

I’ve narrowed my search and am trying to make a final decision between a blue or black dial steel Skydweller, both on Jubilee.

Besides dial color, I’m trying to decide which way to go. One example is a blue dial 326934 with a warranty dated 6/21 and the other a blue dial 336934 with a warranty dated 2024 (don’t know which month). My cost difference would be $3850.

I won’t bore you with the details but there are non Rolex trades involved and a large difference in trade allowances and asking prices. Both are from two very reputable sellers.

Is the new reference, the fact that one is new versus the other preowned and 2.5 to 3 years more warranty worth $3850 more?

I’m personally not concerned about new versus pre owned. It becomes pre owned the minute I put it on, but the updated reference number (even though changes are reportedly not consequential) and extra warranty are appealing. Whether or not they are $3850 more appealing is what I’m struggling with.
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 06:36 AM   #2
Hemdog
"TRF" Member

What is the difference between old and new references?
Hemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 07:22 AM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

There is nothing wrong with the older 9001 movement. Should it need a service in the next 3 years it won't cost you $3850 and you'll get a 2 year warranty. Purely IMO only, hope it helps a bit.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 10:04 AM   #4
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemdog View Post
What is the difference between old and new references?
According to Hodinkee:
The Sky-Dweller is now equipped with calibre 9002, an evolution of calibre 9001. This new movement includes the Chronergy escapement and is fitted with a blue Parachrom hairspring, made in a paramagnetic alloy. The power reserve of caliber 9002 extends to approximately 72 hours.
Old 7 July 2024, 10:06 AM   #5
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the older 9001 movement. Should it need a service in the next 3 years it won't cost you $3850 and you'll get a 2 year warranty. Purely IMO only, hope it helps a bit.
It does help. I have no idea what a service on Rolex’s “most complex movement “ would cost.
Old 7 July 2024, 10:17 AM   #6
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
I recently bought a very lightly worn black 326934 that I really like but ultimately am treating as a bridge to a green 336934 from an AD eventually. To me I would not have paid $3850 more for the new reference, but if my plan were to just get one SkyD and call it a day, I would consider going for the new reference and that price is not horrible.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 11:22 AM   #7
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

This is a complicated movement. Haven’t read folks having issues with it but it could,be worth having added factory warranty for a bit more money.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 12:10 PM   #8
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I have a 9001 blue dial and it’s terrific. Mine is on oyster, I tried to buy a jubilee but heard (things heard from an AD) that Rolex stopped selling the SkyD jubilee bracelets as a stand alone.

I never heard any reason the newer movement is meaningfully better than the original.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote