The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2024, 10:13 AM   #1
Plansb
"TRF" Member

Lost warranty card

Recently bought a Rolex from an ad that withheld the warranty card for a certain amount of time. When I bought it they said stop back in a month or two and grab it, im local no big deal. Went by to get it last week and find out they mailed it to an old address of mine a month ago, and current homeowner says they never received the priority mail envelope but I can see it was delivered. Waiting to hear back from my ad but wondering if anyone has any input on this. From what I can tell I can’t get a card re issued and when I spoke to ad earlier they led me to believe this has never happened before. I’m worried I may be sol here and wondering what others would do in my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plansb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:47 AM   #2
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Sorry to hear. Very incompetent and unprofessional AD.

You should have been given a call, VM left (if necessary) indicating it was scheduled for shipping.

I'd be pissed... maybe use it as leverage to get another piece ;)
Old 16 July 2024, 11:43 AM   #3
sambb
"TRF" Member

Although it is disappointing, if you wear the timepiece for life it probably doesn’t matter. So enjoy the piece and look to the bright side. Luxury goods and expensive items all have risks. I have a friend who bought a Ferrari and scraped it the first month. He was worried about its resale value etc. eventually he learned to just enjoy the car. It took awhile for him.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:58 AM   #4
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Demand a credit or refund for the value of the warranty card because they priced that watch for sale as a package that included the warranty card; without the warranty card they would’ve charged less. I recently traded in a Sub to an AD that I know was going into their CPO program. They quoted me trade in price for the Sub with and without the warranty card which I ultimately didn’t have. The trade in value of the warranty card with the watch was $450. Get something back from them since you didn’t get everything you paid for.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:59 AM   #5
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

What a bummer. Stupid policy.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:02 PM   #6
racerx
"TRF" Member

Not a great policy. All due respect, I would never have left the AD without the warranty card.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:05 PM   #7
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Why did they withhold the warranty card?

This greatly limits your options should you decide to divest this watch.

I’m sure someone here has experience with this conundrum.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:21 PM   #8
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Be nice and polite. Mistakes happen but they will have to go out of their way to fix it. Probably possible if they contact Rolex.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:24 PM   #9
Plansb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
Why did they withhold the warranty card?

This greatly limits your options should you decide to divest this watch.

I’m sure someone here has experience with this conundrum.

Said it was policy. I assumed to prevent quick flips?

I do plan on keeping the watch forever, but I would like to have the full set as a collector. Also if I ever do want to trade or sell for a variety of reasons, as you mention, I’m more limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plansb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:28 PM   #10
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

The chances of you keeping this watch til death do you part are about as good as divorce rate in the US (>50%). Everyone believes they will keep their watch forever… until they don’t.

Make sure that AD makes it right. No other option here.

Let us know
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:31 PM   #11
FlexArmstrong
"TRF" Member

I'd tell them you want to return the watch for one with a damn warranty card since that is what you bought.
FlexArmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 01:38 PM   #12
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Should be an interesting discussion since you bought a new watch and it always comes with the card. Until now. It has been said many times on TRF that a lost card will never be replaced by Rolex. I guess you have the best chance of getting a replacement since the AD goofed this up. I don’t think that Rolex wants their watches sold without cards. If they blow you off, you can ask them to replace the watch with a new one with a card just like you wanted the first time around. And just howmRolex intended it from the get go. Keep us posted. Best to you.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:05 PM   #13
NAUI1982
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
If the watch was NIB, Rolex provides a five year warranty, and the only way to obtain warranty service is to present that card along with the watch at an RSC. You no longer have the card, so there is NOTHING you can do now. Warranty cards can never, ever, ever be reissued, ever. The only way to now get anything that presents the watch as 100% genuine Rolex, is to have it sent to an RSC and have it serviced. The RSC will issue a new “Service card” that certifies it’s a genuine Rolex and depending on the service performed, it will have up to a two year warranty.

Therefore, and in the interest of correcting a HUGE error on the part of the AD, is to get them to issue you a refund, or exchange the watch for exact same NIB. They’ve completely destroyed the ability to have warranty service performed, and they’ve also prevented you from being able to provide reasonable assurance that the watch is genuine. No one will pay you for the true value of the watch now should you decide to trade it or sell it, without first having its providence proved, and that can only be done at an RSC.

Even with an oringinal matching warranty card, people should and do also verify the providence. If a new buyer knows how to do that themselves, great, but without the card, you’ll still be offered less than true value.

IMHO, you just got fucked by your AD, and they know it, and you know it. Nothing less than curing the issue would be acceptable to me frankly. I would want them to replace the watch with exact same inclusive of warranty card.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
NAUI1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:11 PM   #14
omar10213245

Watch: big fat invicta
frankly, there's no way in hell i would ever allow my AD to try this type of garbage policy with me. if i don't get the warranty card WITH my watch when i pay for it, then they're not getting a penny out of me. not only that, i'd do everything in my power to raise a stink with rolex USA about getting treated in such a way by the AD, and how unacceptable i find it to be.
omar10213245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:18 PM   #15
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I can certainly appreciate the desire to have a watch with a full set.
I'd ask them about re-issuing a card. If they decline, you have two options:

1- go full nuclear. let them know you'd like to return the watch and buy the same unit with a card. if they balk, let them know you'd like to escalate to rolex. if they refuse, do it yourself. Note, you'll never get another watch from this AD after this.

2- go the easy route; express extreme disappointment, let them know how heartbroken you are, and express interest in another watch you want.
Old 16 July 2024, 02:24 PM   #16
NAUI1982

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
I can certainly appreciate the desire to have a watch with a full set.
I'd ask them about re-issuing a card. If they decline, you have two options:

1- go full nuclear. let them know you'd like to return the watch and buy the same unit with a card. if they balk, let them know you'd like to escalate to rolex. if they refuse, do it yourself. Note, you'll never get another watch from this AD after this.

2- go the easy route; express extreme disappointment, let them know how heartbroken you are, and express interest in another watch you want.
I just got an incredible 126500 from my AD and they refused to give me the white hang tag, even after I asked, they said they will not provide it. They retain for their records was the answer I got. Nothing I could do, and frankly, I didn’t care since I’m keeping this baby forever. But I think there are ADs who make up their own rules of the road as it were. We can buy or walk away… They don’t care…
NAUI1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:52 PM   #17
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Lost warranty card

I think the AD has to make this right. You have no proof of warranty. They screwed up. I’m sure they can have a new card issued, and it won’t be the first time an AD has had to do it. The only other alternative is making them take the watch back.If it were me, I’d be on the phone with Rolex, USA tomorrow.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:23 PM   #18
chrissimons
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I think the AD has to make this right. You have no proof of warranty. They screwed up. I’m sure they can have a new card issued, and it won’t be the first time an AD has had to do it. The only other alternative is making them take the watch back.If it were me, I’d be on the phone with Rolex, USA tomorrow.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same for me.
chrissimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 04:55 PM   #19
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
I’m pretty sure you can get warranty service without a card. The serial number is registered upon purchase so Rolex knows exactly when the watch was purchased and when the warranty period starts.
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:14 PM   #20
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
I’m pretty sure you can get warranty service without a card. The serial number is registered upon purchase so Rolex knows exactly when the watch was purchased and when the warranty period starts.
I have had warranty repairs and service repairs through RSC without the cards
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:13 PM   #21
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Their stupid policy. I'd tell them that they have two weeks to straighten it our or you'r going to sue them.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:18 PM   #22
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
You can and have done so myself. That was incorrect information above.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:28 PM   #23
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
The chances of you keeping this watch til death do you part are about as good as divorce rate in the US (>50%). Everyone believes they will keep their watch forever… until they don’t.

Make sure that AD makes it right. No other option here.

Let us know
Absolutely
Old 16 July 2024, 08:38 PM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Technically you don't have a warranty. I'm sure if the watch went wrong this could be circumvented but the AD has made a huge mistake. It may even breach the terms of their Rolex franchise. If they are not falling over themselves to make it right, they should be.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:59 PM   #25
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
The AD cost you a few thousands in value
Old 16 July 2024, 09:46 PM   #26
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
This use to be a standard practice at several AD's in my area a long time ago. No longer and when I enquire they said it creates too many problems. The AD is trying to circumvent a return where the warranty card has already been filled out. I guess they will represent a watch that was sold and returned as new. It is unacceptable and I would want a complete set and ask them to rectify the situation with a new watch and warranty card. If not then I would find out about a dispute through your Cred Card Company, a complaint to Rolex USA and a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I hope they make it right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:47 PM   #27
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Sure the OP has a warranty. When sold the AD registers the watch and date so Rolex has this information. At a minimum, you do have the receipt from the AD showing date of purchase. I assume Rolex would accept this with above.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:01 PM   #28
Mystro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexArmstrong View Post
I'd tell them you want to return the watch for one with a damn warranty card since that is what you bought.
That is exactly the direction I would be going.

This watch is now “not” a full box set and that is a huge issue. I would go to considerable lengths to have the AD correct this.
Old 17 July 2024, 01:18 AM   #29
majidessa
"TRF" Member

What watch did you get? As the value of warranty cards also depend on watch model
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 02:19 AM   #30
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexArmstrong View Post
I’d agree with this and would not accept any other alternative (unless they can actually get a proper like for like replacement from Rolex which I don’t think they can).

You have not received the full set you paid for and are entitled to. Why would this be any different to them losing it in the store?
Mr Ben is online now   Reply With Quote