The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 July 2024, 02:47 AM   #1
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Stock Levels Rising?

I had to take my TTSD in to the AD for a bit of bracelet tlc, whilst I was there I took the opportunity to try on a few watches, some of which I had never seen in the metal.

On the wrist today;

BLNR (Oyster) - On my wants list but this one isn't for me apparently.
CHNR (Oyster) - A lovely watch, could happily go for this but sadly outside of the budget.
Air King - The first time I had ever seen one, a very strange watch, a wonderful fit on my wrist but the dial just isn't for me.
Explorer (40) - A beautiful watch, one I could easily order, buy and live with for many years to come, but I have a DJ (Oyster/Smooth) and the two watches are far to similar to justify the purchase.
Explorer II (Black) - This is just brilliant, this was the first time that I had seen one and on trying it on it fitted really well, the dial is just so clear, that big orange 24 hour hand leaps out at you and it has full GMT functionality. A glorious watch, I am so taken with this watch that I have added it to my want list, and I'm told - it may not take too long to get.

Lastly I tried on the 136668LB - Well this is a beast of a watch, on the wrist it makes its presence felt in both size and weight. The bezel and dial in matching blue is just stunning, standing proud of the yellow gold case and bracelet. It really is a wonderful watch but it comes within few requirements if you were to own it; firstly you need a bit of wrist real estate to wear it comfortably and secondly you need a very healthy bank balance to purchase it (or be on first name terms with your very friendly bank manager).

The store had a good number of Sky Dwellers but only TT or PM (Oysterflex and full metal) varieties, Daytona's were represented by a TT and PM on Oysterflex, Submariners in SS, TT and PM, a wide range of Yacht-Masters, the windows were full of DJ's in various configurations.

I wanted to see a Yacht-Master in Titanium but it is a bit shy apparently and appearances at the store are scarce, maybe next time.

About the only models that I didn't see was the Day-Date and Perpetual, they may have been lurking within the large DJ display which was spread across two windows of the store.

Overall a very well stock shop, it was good to see so many watches that could be looked at, handled and tried on, nothing was priced in any of the displays all marked up 'Exhibition Only', how much of it was actually available to buy the store wasn't letting on.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 05:54 AM   #2
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Don’t be surprised if those “Exhibition” signs disappear soon.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 06:03 AM   #3
MarioB83
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a nice watch day after all those empty displays
MarioB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 06:14 AM   #4
aboutime
"TRF" Member

I was told by my AD yesterday that certain PM models, especially those with diamond bezel or dials are a challenge to move. Whilst everything is showing exhibition only, those words spoken from the SA are enough to indicate a slow down. Probably the my first time hearing this directly from an AD (appreciate it’s been reported on this forum for some time now). All available cabinets and space was full of timepieces.
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 06:25 AM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I was at my AD today and the variety of Rolex models on display was wider than I've previously seen, although most were exhibition only. It makes a welcome change from all the blanks that used to be filing the cabinets. All the tables in their dedicated Rolex section were occupied and at a passing glance it looked like actual watches were actually being sold.

The 126619LB was a particularly striking display watch. So simple yet so rich in texture and lustre. It's a little bit of well judged perfection but having seen the 11 in person, the Smurf still gets my vote.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 06:57 AM   #6
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
The 126619LB was a particularly striking display watch. So simple yet so rich in texture and lustre.
The 126619LB was in the display alongside the two TT models, the LV and my favourite the 124060, I tried the LB on on a previous visit so guess that no-one wants it as I cannot believe that the store would hold one to get another.

But it is as you say a lovely watch, understated in many ways, could be considered as a polished SS model to the un-initiated as the blue bezel goes almost black in some light.

Old 25 July 2024, 07:08 AM   #7
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Don’t be surprised if those “Exhibition” signs disappear soon.
I'm not so sure, whilst you might be able to pick up a PM or some of the TT as a walk-in there are still far too many people after the Submariners, GMT's, Daytona's and the like to take the brakes off.

If you start selling the exhibition watches the windows and cabinets will soon be empty and we will be back to square one. I think that Exhibition Only watches are here to stay.

My guess is that all that will happen is that waiting times will reduce across the board, watches will become available to you sooner, there will still be lengthy waits for the ultra hot watches SS Daytona's and BLRO's for example but other watches will see waiting times reduce considerably.

Old 25 July 2024, 07:10 AM   #8
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioB83 View Post
Sounds like a nice watch day after all those empty displays
It was nice, I could have spent the whole day there trying different watches on.

Old 25 July 2024, 08:53 AM   #9
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
I was told by my AD yesterday that certain PM models, especially those with diamond bezel or dials are a challenge to move. Whilst everything is showing exhibition only, those words spoken from the SA are enough to indicate a slow down. Probably the my first time hearing this directly from an AD (appreciate it’s been reported on this forum for some time now). All available cabinets and space was full of timepieces.
I believe that this must be true. I recently walking into an AD (not my AD) with which I had no history and chatted with the assistant manager for an hour about watches and the only Rolex he brought out for me to try was an $80K gold and diamonds model. Not my style or desired price point but I'm pretty sure he would have sold it to me if I had been interested.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 12:32 PM   #10
Ursusarctos
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613ln
When I bought my new Sub TT last week, the SA said that the number of watches they were receiving hadn't changed but they were getting more people declining to purchase. We are in a bit of downturn in the economy in Canada and I suspect some folks are feeling the pinch. Add in that some flippers might be stepping aside, I'm hopeful that wait times will drop.
Ursusarctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 12:51 PM   #11
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

To the OP (Martin) -
I had literally the exact same experience in NYC last week - Lots of “Exhibition Only” signs which means inventory is rising and SA’s were awfully friendly while I tried on a few new beauties. Full disclosure, I was wearing my PP 5270 so they knew I wasn’t there to waste their time….
PS
Got 2 calls from them since my visit and were offering me a special dial DD40 and a YG Sub whereas it had been radio silent for years……No, I did not buy either one, but the ice is melting…..
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 08:02 PM   #12
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursusarctos View Post
When I bought my new Sub TT last week, the SA said that the number of watches they were receiving hadn't changed but they were getting more people declining to purchase. We are in a bit of downturn in the economy in Canada and I suspect some folks are feeling the pinch. Add in that some flippers might be stepping aside, I'm hopeful that wait times will drop.
Interesting to hear this, at the store yesterday the tables for Rolex were full and there were a good number of people looking at other brands within the store.

Whilst I was there one couple purchased a PM Yacht-Master I couldn't tell which one but it was the lady who wore it out of the store with a smile that went from ear to ear, another couple requested two DJ's for their wedding next year, on another table a man was looking at a Submariner and there was a couple wandering the store he had a white dial TT Sky Dweller and she a TT DJ.

A very busy store at least whilst I was there.

But if the grey market is softening that may well make getting that grail a bit easier to obtain. Hopefully.

Old 26 July 2024, 12:00 AM   #13
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
most people still can't buy one as a walk in
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 12:07 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sounds like a positive experience Martin
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 02:11 AM   #15
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
most people still can't buy one as a walk in
One? Care to elaborate?

Old 26 July 2024, 02:22 AM   #16
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Sounds like a positive experience Martin
It was a good couple of hours, getting a hands on with some nice watches was an enjoyable experience.

Having a good range of exhibition watches doesn't mean that we are anywhere near having all watches in stock when you go to the store IMHO, but it will be great if wait times come down to sensible levels especially on the hot watches.

There wasn't a SS Daytona or a BLRO on display, whether the store had one out back I have no idea but it was the most stock I have seen in the store for well over a couple of years.

Old 26 July 2024, 03:34 AM   #17
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Good signs for the future.

Looks like ADs are finally bringing the stock from the vaults to the front
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 03:46 AM   #18
Torshalla
"TRF" Member

My AD in Sweden has had most hot SS pieces for exhibition for the last months… (Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, Sky Dwellers, Explorers, Sea Dwellers…). It is really nice to be able to try them on and talk watches :)

I think what is happening on the demand side is that people who were buying to flip are seeing that it is getting more difficult to do so and with much reduced margins… so they are declining more and more. Which is great for us who actually want those watches :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Torshalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 03:54 AM   #19
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

We have become so complacent with walking into the AD and walking out with nothing. We take it as a big victory just to try on a watch now. Really?
We came into the store to buy not window shop.
Unless you do not know what you want to buy, the AD is wasting your time and just stroking you with these waitlists and watch us drool over exhibition pieces. We have even come to the conclusion that the AD is doing us a favor by selling us a watch. Rolex has created the most amazing marketing in decades.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 06:34 AM   #20
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I had to take my TTSD in to the AD for a bit of bracelet tlc, whilst I was there I took the opportunity to try on a few watches, some of which I had never seen in the metal.

On the wrist today;

BLNR (Oyster) - On my wants list but this one isn't for me apparently.
CHNR (Oyster) - A lovely watch, could happily go for this but sadly outside of the budget.
Air King - The first time I had ever seen one, a very strange watch, a wonderful fit on my wrist but the dial just isn't for me.
Explorer (40) - A beautiful watch, one I could easily order, buy and live with for many years to come, but I have a DJ (Oyster/Smooth) and the two watches are far to similar to justify the purchase.
Explorer II (Black) - This is just brilliant, this was the first time that I had seen one and on trying it on it fitted really well, the dial is just so clear, that big orange 24 hour hand leaps out at you and it has full GMT functionality. A glorious watch, I am so taken with this watch that I have added it to my want list, and I'm told - it may not take too long to get.

Lastly I tried on the 136668LB - Well this is a beast of a watch, on the wrist it makes its presence felt in both size and weight. The bezel and dial in matching blue is just stunning, standing proud of the yellow gold case and bracelet. It really is a wonderful watch but it comes within few requirements if you were to own it; firstly you need a bit of wrist real estate to wear it comfortably and secondly you need a very healthy bank balance to purchase it (or be on first name terms with your very friendly bank manager).

The store had a good number of Sky Dwellers but only TT or PM (Oysterflex and full metal) varieties, Daytona's were represented by a TT and PM on Oysterflex, Submariners in SS, TT and PM, a wide range of Yacht-Masters, the windows were full of DJ's in various configurations.

I wanted to see a Yacht-Master in Titanium but it is a bit shy apparently and appearances at the store are scarce, maybe next time.

About the only models that I didn't see was the Day-Date and Perpetual, they may have been lurking within the large DJ display which was spread across two windows of the store.

Overall a very well stock shop, it was good to see so many watches that could be looked at, handled and tried on, nothing was priced in any of the displays all marked up 'Exhibition Only', how much of it was actually available to buy the store wasn't letting on.

Eventually they will all go to customers, as new stock gradually replaces those exhibition pieces.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 07:11 AM   #21
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Eventually they will all go to customers, as new stock gradually replaces those exhibition pieces.

Kat

They will indeed, you just have to hope that you are one of those lucky ones who get the call in the weeks and months ahead.

Or maybe the exhibition stock just doesn't change, its only the new stock that is sold.

Old 7 August 2024, 08:45 AM   #22
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

The exhibition pieces represent an interesting business model. Part of me says that if the cases only had actual for sale pieces we would have a better idea of the new Rolex market. The gray market is coming off quickly, down to MSRP plus tax or below, but for a few models. I find it interesting that a number of AD’s don't want the CPO program. I wonder if it was a catching a falling knife problem.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 01:13 PM   #23
y2jdmbfan
"TRF" Member

I was told today that almost all the exhibition only pieces are or will be allocated to customers, but Rolex makes them keep them on display for a certain amount of time before they can be sold.
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 01:28 PM   #24
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

I went through Heathrow a week ago and was offered the rose gold d/d charcoal ombre dial on the spot, sadly I went olive only last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Syd5.jpg (113.4 KB, 625 views)
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 05:16 PM   #25
Amadd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
I was told today that almost all the exhibition only pieces are or will be allocated to customers, but Rolex makes them keep them on display for a certain amount of time before they can be sold.

Partly true. Yes they will go to end customers but they have to wait to get another one of same model in before they can sell. For the most part.

Ie have can’t sell Pepsi without getting Pepsi to replace it on display. Time range really isn’t a thing unless your AD needs to hold it to have so many in stock until the next shipment.

Amadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:08 PM   #26
PaulMiami
"TRF" Member

Whether for immediate sale or not, these exhibition watches are inventory, and eventually they will be sold. Inventory in the official distribution channel is building, production is increasing. We see from companies reporting earnings that demand for luxury goods is falling. The gray market exists to make a profit, and if these players start to loose money, their bids will drop like a knife. In most if not all speculative markets, prices go up using the stairs and down in the elevator. And prices overshoot fair value in both directions.
PaulMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:19 PM   #27
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330

Coming soon...

—Danny
Old 8 August 2024, 12:30 AM   #28
PaulMiami
"TRF" Member

Comment on CNBC that the YOLO (you only live once) trade is over resonates also for luxury watches
PaulMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:07 AM   #29
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadd View Post
Partly true. Yes they will go to end customers but they have to wait to get another one of same model in before they can sell. For the most part.

Ie have can’t sell Pepsi without getting Pepsi to replace it on display. Time range really isn’t a thing unless your AD needs to hold it to have so many in stock until the next shipment.

They have to have a specific number on display, at all times, based on their tier level, but they are always different. While there may be parameters regarding having a certain number of professional models and classic models, they do not have to replace a Pepsi with another Pepsi. They can replace it with a Sub or even an Explorer.

Kat

KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote