The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 31 July 2024, 09:22 PM   #1
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin - is it worth the money?

Dear TRF,

I am making a decision to get a perpetual calendar on a dress watch, and came across Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin as one of the contenders on my shopping list. If you are not familiar with the model, here's the picture below:

Initially, I was looking at mid-tier brands like Blancpain, Jaeger LeCoultre, Glashutte Original, and IWC right now. Later on in life, I would add an annual calendar from Patek Philippe so in the end, I have a mid-tier perpetual calendar and a PP annual calendar but I was thinking why not spend on one watch and get done with the watch I really want. I know that Patek Philippe reference 5327 perpetual calendar and A Lange & Sohne Lange 1 perpetual calendar are priced similarly and not something that a normal person can afford so I was looking at Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin instead as an alternative due to its lower pricing point vs PP/ALS. Is this watch worth the price tag? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 09:25 PM   #2
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
What’s it going to cost you?
Old 31 July 2024, 09:28 PM   #3
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
What’s it going to cost you?
In USD, it retails at $87,886.89 here in Taiwan while PP 5327r retails for $102,252.31
Old 31 July 2024, 09:46 PM   #4
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I think both are way too big for a dress watch. Patek's earlier PCs are much nicer than the 39mm. They've made everything too big including the dial signature. I also don't like the numerals on the PP.

The VC looks nicer to me, but is even bigger at 41mm.

Moser make a very elegant and understated PC, and if I was choosing, I'd get either that, or an older PP 5140, or best of all a 3940.

These are my preferences, and they may not match yours.
Old 31 July 2024, 09:51 PM   #5
Chrasmus
"TRF" Member

I love Vacheron, but I am not a fan of how they display the months on their perpetual. I greatly prefer to see each month only appearing once on the dial, as well as each month listed.
Chrasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 11:19 PM   #6
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

If you'd prefer PP/ALS, I'd just hunt down an excellent condition preowned piece from a trusted seller (preferably that's been recently serviced).

I personally don't prefer that VC. It's large and with its subdials relatively crowded into the center of the dial. The absolute size isn't necessarily a problem (perhaps your wrist can easily handle 41 mm) but it does affect subdial crowding and overall aesthetics.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2024, 01:21 AM   #7
jw0n
"TRF" Member

I don't know about your concept of "tiering" and how you are ranking these watches. If you would consider used, there is much more provenance from VC ref. 43031; better sized at 36mm, warmer tone, and likely also very small production numbers. Oh, and for a lot less dollars.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2024, 05:02 AM   #8
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

I’m a huge VC fan but this is a miss. It’s too large, the subdials too cramped, the movement too small. I would get a used Patek 5320 or, if you like an independent a used Moser Perpetual. A nice platinum or palladium piece can easily be had for 30-35k and is a great value.
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2024, 09:28 AM   #9
dakkonmc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
In USD, it retails at $87,886.89 here in Taiwan while PP 5327r retails for $102,252.31
At that price range. I would rather buy a used ALS lange 1 perpetual calendar or Datograph. I see a number of them around the high 80s to the high 90s.

FPJ should also be a consideration at that price range.
dakkonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2024, 04:15 PM   #10
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I don't think it's worth it... much better looking models out there, great recommendations made. If you go used you can find amazing pieces from Breguet, Patek, JLC.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2024, 10:46 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Absolutely not. This would probably trade 50% off bnib secondary.

I would personally want patek on the dial for that much. Or a journe PC.
Old 1 August 2024, 11:57 PM   #12
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

After careful consideration and many great opinions made by fellow members, I will not get the VC Patrimony PC....

I will look into secondary market for used Patek PC(perhaps a 5327r or 5320g) or a new Blancpain Villeret QP Phases de Lune in red gold instead

Thank you all for the great suggestions
Old 2 August 2024, 07:14 AM   #13
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

If you want the BP go preowned and save
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2024, 11:11 PM   #14
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

Zero chance at full retail. You can get a PC from PP for half that. Or get a bad ass Blancpain for 1/4. (Pre owned). If going new, I’d still go for BP or PP.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2024, 11:16 PM   #15
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

One thing I don’t like about VC solution for PC is their replicating months x 4 on a dial. As opposed to just 12 months and leap year indicator 1234. I find it rather unsophisticated; even if there is good reason for it.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 01:34 PM   #16
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetodie View Post
One thing I don’t like about VC solution for PC is their replicating months x 4 on a dial. As opposed to just 12 months and leap year indicator 1234. I find it rather unsophisticated; even if there is good reason for it.
You make an important point here.

This is one of the major reason that don't make the cut for me either, PC should be easy to decipher all the information required to read the calendar. Also, all the dials are so cramped towards the centre maybe due to the Dubois-Depraz PC module added on top of their ultra-thin movement.