The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 August 2024, 02:24 AM   #1
llngoc
"TRF" Member

AP Boutique suggesting path to grail piece

I have been with my current AP Boutique SA for a couple of years and have acquired a nice piece with him as a first piece. He's always been very professional in showing us interesting pieces whenever we visited. And he also took down our wishlist diligently even though we have only rather rare pieces on the list. (Double balance and RD3 for myself, ceramics and frosted gold pieces for my wife)

A couple of months ago, he texted me and told me that one of the pieces on my wife's wish list came in. I was all excited but then found out that it was a ladies ROO which was never on her list. I was confused and politely declined it and re-confirmed our wishlist again.

And a couple of weeks ago, we visited the boutique. Our SA referred us to be helped by his manager. He showed us a few pieces saying that he wanted to see what our taste is so he can help us better. Including a gorgeous 37mm RD#3 which I would have taken in a heartbeat if not for the diamonds. After showing us 6-8 pieces of very loud ROOs and Code 1.59 without anything which we really want, he then told us that in order for us to get something on our wishlist, we need to show our appreciation of the brand (we already owned 3 pieces of ROs). I asked if I acquire a ROO Beast, will it be okay as an appreciation piece, but he said no. In the end, I got a ROO diver and the manager assured us to trust them as they will help to fight for our wishlist pieces.

I do not have any complain in this case as I do like the ROO diver. I am just curious on how come there is a change in approach from our SA and the boutique. I felt like that our SA was too "embarrassed" to bring up this "bundling" practice and have his manager to be the "bad cop" after 2 years.

BTW, I used to have a 2019 ROO Chronograph which I found not very comfortable to wear and this 2024 ROO diver is definitely a great improvement. It got me thinking of adding the beast to my wishlist now.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 02:42 AM   #2
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. So sad our hobby has come to this and I am afraid it will take years to recover from it. Especially for brands like AP which will be the hardest hit.
Old 3 August 2024, 03:25 AM   #3
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Where did you buy the 3 RO’s out of interest? Just wondered if they were through them.

With regards to your scenario, I’ve really mixed views on it.

On one side I really hate the ‘journey’ or ‘pathway’ or ‘road’ or whatever you want to call it, where people have to buy things they don’t really want to get things they do want. Rolex, PP etc they all seem at it. Having to buy jewellery by the bucket load to get a steel watch! Seems so wrong in some ways. The Rolex AD I dealt with for 10 years once told me he’d delivered me ‘unicorn’ pieces as if I just be eternally grateful. That was the last time I spoke to him. I was never going to start playing those games.

On the other side and in your case - what are AP supposed to do here? You want rarer pieces and AP don’t make many of them. Being ironic based on what I just said, they could be classed as the ‘unicorn’ pieces. They are going to offer them to people with a long-standing and solid purchase history. Loyal clients I guess. Whether that’s 3, 5 or 10 watches I don’t know. Whether a couple of codes or offshores help, again I don’t know.

Not being awkward, but I bet they’ve got many other clients wanting the same as you and have bought more over a longer period of time and they just don’t have the allocations to get you what you want as it stands.

Maybe your SA’s manager has had to tell him/her that it’s not going to happen as it stands and he’s intervened?
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 04:10 AM   #4
agsstructures
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

What a joke, find a new SA or just go grey.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 04:20 AM   #5
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by agsstructures View Post
Going grey on the pieces he's looking for is a huge financial commitment. Since the OP has already purchased the Diver, he should let it play out. Hopefully, the boutique manager honors his commitment and delivers his wishlist. The pieces he is looking for are very hard to come by and I'm not talking about Jumbo level hard.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 04:23 AM   #6
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

This is awful. What’s more, the longer the market is in a downturn and they do this, the more obvious this is and always was a game of lies and manipulation. Perhaps these watch companies think this is a good model, but I think it will come back to bite them hard.
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 04:25 AM   #7
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Going grey on the pieces he's looking for is a huge financial commitment. Since the OP has already purchased the Diver, he should let it play out. Hopefully, the boutique manager honors his commitment and delivers his wishlist. The pieces he is looking for are very hard to come by and I'm not talking about Jumbo level hard.
A diver these days is nothing to them lol. These boutiques have people by their throat who have spent hundreds of thousands to millions. Best bet is buying every ladies piece at a Rolex AD and hoping to get a stainless Daytona haha
PAFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 04:44 AM   #8
APhound
"TRF" Member

AP Boutique suggesting path to grail piece

It’s hard out there
There’s just way richer people and i can’t compete with them
I’m not really buying watches hoping it will get me what I really want- I’m buying what I want and can afford and very happy w my APs and honestly happy with my relationship with them
I daydream of the crazy APs and they motivate me to keep working hard but I’m really in no position to shell out 2-300k for watches and lots of people are- and they get rewarded with the special pieces
I’m so far out from that
If there was a special piece I really wanted I’d probably just go grey even though I’ve built a relationship
Can always sell it if I’m eventually allocated something similar or better
If I was allocated a big boy watch I would probably feel handcuffed to it and feel like I couldn’t trade it or sell it, so that’s why I’m fine buying the watches I have and can comfortably afford
(Sorry my periods weren’t working on this post)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 05:50 AM   #9
Uros
"TRF" Member

This is terrible and wrong on so many levels. Would never participate in this, so many other options you can really enjoy. I dont know if you so eagerly want something loud buy 5740 with relatively acceptable 25perc mark up with greys or something like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 06:25 AM   #10
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
That sounds like an exciting and amazing journey!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 06:29 AM   #11
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
That sounds like an exciting and amazing journey!
Lmao
Old 3 August 2024, 06:33 AM   #12
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
My Business Partner has a Diver he got 2 years ago Navy Blue and I just tried it on for the first time and really liked it! Now the Code 1159s I love 3-4 of them!

I have to say that, I would prefer this level of honesty any day all day over what I get from Rolex Ads! Im 100k into my Rolex AD and have a Sprite to show for it lol!!!

I would rock the Diver as a great Beater watch and never stress it!

GIVE me the TRUTH!!!! ALLL DAY IM a big boy!
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:39 AM   #13
EazyE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226
AP wants to maximize its revenue over the long-term. My SA told me he gets 50 texts a day asking for a royal oak. How many of those customers will stick around when RO aren’t hot anymore?

It sucks to hear, but if you can’t prove affinity to the brand (either as a long time customer or by picking up non hot watches), it really is a smart move for AP to allocate the rare watches to other loyal clients

What’s annoying is that AP is inconsistent in how they apply this logic. The founder of kith is on record saying he emailed FHB asking for a rose gold double balance wheel, and got it. As his first AP. That’s obnoxious

Last edited by Lol-x; 7 August 2024 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Profanity
EazyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:58 AM   #14
nickorette
2024 Pledge Member

The journey is only really worth it if you want those pieces to begin with. If not, grey might make more sense.

With VC and Patek, getting desirable pieces is coming naturally, because I genuinely wanted to collect the pieces along the way. I decided for AP I had no interest in ROO or code, and that grey was the better option.
IWC: PRT Minute Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber, Vintage Pilot Tribute, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G, 6119R JLC: Reverso, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox, MUTM Enamel AP: 15202ST Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, 321 EW, CK 859 Cartier: Santos M, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:59 AM   #15
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFG View Post
A diver these days is nothing to them lol. These boutiques have people by their throat who have spent hundreds of thousands to millions. Best bet is buying every ladies piece at a Rolex AD and hoping to get a stainless Daytona haha
I think that can be said of AP, PP, and Rolex for the most part. Personally, I haven't felt that way. I've been treated very fairly and well by AP. I was never asked to buy anything I didn't want in order to get grail level pieces. I don't feel like they have me by the throat at all. I ask for what I want and they have delivered. It's different for everyone and where/when they start their collecting with AP. I've been with the brand for many years before the hype when nobody knew what AP was and that helped me check the loyalty box with them. Purchased ROO's way back when and that checked the diversity box. I didn't get my first RO from the boutique until 2022.
You can say I've taken the journey too, but I've enjoyed every moment of it.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
Old 3 August 2024, 08:16 AM   #16
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Thanks for everyone's feedback. The reason for my post is that my SA had never mentioned any "entry" piece until the last visit so I am curious if there is something changed within the AP.

Personally, the double balance or RD#3 on my wishlist are nice to have for me, and the only APs which I am interested. I would never have bought anything I do not want just for them as I have other ateliers which are keeping me busy. However, my wife really loves the 34mm ceramic or the frosted gold and she does not want to go grey even though I pointed out to her that the grey premium on these 34mm are not really that bad. She only wants to get directly from the boutique. And since I am "okay" with the ROO, it is just the extra push for me in this case. (It would really be upsetting if she never gets her piece(s) though :-))

I have been through this bundling game with my ex-Patek AD so I am well aware of the game. At least the AP Boutique will not get their AD status pulled like my PP AD. (That was another sad story....)
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 08:43 AM   #17
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback. The reason for my post is that my SA had never mentioned any "entry" piece until the last visit so I am curious if there is something changed within the AP.

Personally, the double balance or RD#3 on my wishlist are nice to have for me, and the only APs which I am interested. I would never have bought anything I do not want just for them as I have other ateliers which are keeping me busy. However, my wife really loves the 34mm ceramic or the frosted gold and she does not want to go grey even though I pointed out to her that the grey premium on these 34mm are not really that bad. She only wants to get directly from the boutique. And since I am "okay" with the ROO, it is just the extra push for me in this case. (It would really be upsetting if she never gets her piece(s) though :-))

I have been through this bundling game with my ex-Patek AD so I am well aware of the game. At least the AP Boutique will not get their AD status pulled like my PP AD. (That was another sad story....)

You have an amazing collection already BTW. Your FPJ collection is to die for! I've heard some.collectors that already had 6 or 7 pieces being asked to purchase a step up piece before a grail level piece lately. I thought it was specific to that boutique though. If all of your AP's are RO only, I can see them asking you to add some diversity. You're a seasoned collector so you already know how to play this game to your advantage.

My wife has the 34 ceramic and she loves it. I'm sure your wife will feel the same. It shouldn't be hard given your current status with them.

Which double balance are you requesting?
Old 3 August 2024, 08:48 AM   #18
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think that can be said of AP, PP, and Rolex for the most part. Personally, I haven't felt that way. I've been treated very fairly and well by AP. I was never asked to buy anything I didn't want in order to get grail level pieces. I don't feel like they have me by the throat at all. I ask for what I want and they have delivered. It's different for everyone and where/when they start their collecting with AP. I've been with the brand for many years before the hype when nobody knew what AP was and that helped me check the loyalty box with them. Purchased ROO's way back when and that checked the diversity box. I didn't get my first RO from the boutique until 2022.
You can say I've taken the journey too, but I've enjoyed every moment of it.
Well you got in before the hype.. that’s the secret ����. Good luck getting the great pieces now. You need luck or lots and lots and lots of $$ to buy the pieces you don’t really want first.
Old 3 August 2024, 08:54 AM   #19
WatchEater666
Banned

It is really just outright disrespectful at some point. There are too many horror stories of people on this forum buying a lot of pieces, then being told something totally different.

I don't think the "journey" would be as big a deal if AP was simply transparent with customers and the standards were similar across a country's boutiques.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 09:05 AM   #20
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well you got in before the hype.. that’s the secret ����. Good luck getting the great pieces now. You need luck or lots and lots and lots of $$ to buy the pieces you don’t really want first.

Yes, it worked out for me because I started collecting before the hype. Super lucky for sure. I know plenty of collectors that did very well without having to buy pieces they didn't want, but I know just as many if not more that didn't fare so well too. It's really the luck of the draw on whether you click with the SA or not I guess. If they advocate for you, the flood gates open. If they don't, you're playing the waiting game.
Old 3 August 2024, 09:43 AM   #21
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

best to wait things out. with the way the markets are going, people are going to have alot less cash soon to buy luxury watches.

Still amazed at how people still shit on AP and not as much on Rolex/PP. Ive been told multiple times in multiple countries / AD's that I need to buy some ladies pieces or TT pieces before getting a 124060 lol.

Meanwhile, AP has delivered on all the watches I've asked for, and I was only somewhat told to buy something I dont want only once...which happened to be a Royal Oak (green chrono). was never asked to buy a ROO or CODE in order to get another RO, although they do ask me if I'm interested in some models that I ultimately turn down etc
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 10:11 AM   #22
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, it worked out for me because I started collecting before the hype. Super lucky for sure. I know plenty of collectors that did very well without having to buy pieces they didn't want, but I know just as many if not more that didn't fare so well too. It's really the luck of the draw on whether you click with the SA or not I guess. If they advocate for you, the flood gates open. If they don't, you're playing the waiting game.
I gave up with my local one in SOFLO. They give me 0 time of the day the few times I went in with different AP pieces that I bought grey. They don’t want to talk to me and build a connection (probably because I’m on the younger side and they think I’ll flip). At this point - they are making the brand such a turn off for me, I might just move on from them and go elsewhere despite loving the look.
Old 3 August 2024, 10:13 AM   #23
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
best to wait things out. with the way the markets are going, people are going to have alot less cash soon to buy luxury watches.

Still amazed at how people still shit on AP and not as much on Rolex/PP. Ive been told multiple times in multiple countries / AD's that I need to buy some ladies pieces or TT pieces before getting a 124060 lol.

Meanwhile, AP has delivered on all the watches I've asked for, and I was only somewhat told to buy something I dont want only once...which happened to be a Royal Oak (green chrono). was never asked to buy a ROO or CODE in order to get another RO, although they do ask me if I'm interested in some models that I ultimately turn down etc

I think part of the frustration is the fact that AP has gone to a direct to consumer model and people feel like it's AP and not an AD playing the game.
Most people just figure it's a bad AD when they have a bad PP or Rolex experience. Some of my worst experiences have come from PP AD's....

These brands all recognize that their businesses will slow down. It's a cycle. They're trying to decipher between the collectors who want their products because it's hot now from long term collectors they can depend on when things slow down. That process is rubbing a lot folks the wrong way. I can't blame those who are upset, but can't blame AP or any PP/Rolex AD either. Just a frustrating process when demand outstrips supply IMO.
Old 3 August 2024, 10:17 AM   #24
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I gave up with my local one in SOFLO. They give me 0 time of the day the few times I went in with different AP pieces that I bought grey. They don’t want to talk to me and build a connection (probably because I’m on the younger side and they think I’ll flip). At this point - they are making the brand such a turn off for me, I might just move on from them and go elsewhere despite loving the look.
I hear ya. It's clients like you that they should invest time in if anything. If going grey and buying all these pieces at a premium isn't a commitment to the brand, I don't know what is.. You should try to connect with one of the AP Houses.

Did you get your ceramic link pins sorted out?
Old 3 August 2024, 10:17 AM   #25
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Only buy what you want to buy....
That's my philosophy!

I guess that's why I can't get a jumbo at MSRP LOL!

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 10:34 AM   #26
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post

yeah rolex is a complete shit show due to the fact that they use ADs and most of them have fake waitlists and shove other brands/jewelry down your throat. at least AP has clear cut paths to every watch and they do work with you and there's not much more you can ask for with this concept

i think that RD3 with diamonds looks incredible though lol
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 10:50 AM   #27
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear ya. It's clients like you that they should invest time in if anything. If going grey and buying all these pieces at a premium isn't a commitment to the brand, I don't know what is.. You should try to connect with one of the AP Houses.

Did you get your ceramic link pins sorted out?
Yea, that’s my thought too haha. If anything, I’m more loyal.. I paid crazy over lol.

I went to the boutique last weekend and they had some special AP pin tool and they got me right - so it looks good now. That was also when they didn’t really care to talk lol.
Old 3 August 2024, 12:30 PM   #28
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I have purchased AP's for many years (started before the craze). It's such a gamble now. SA's leave, managers change. I was staying in the game to try and get a ceramic piece for myself. Been waiting several years. My wife doesn't actually even like the RO (she owns 2 codes, a ROO and one steel RO). What really rubbed salt in the wound and put us off the brand was when they offered HER a ceramic RO, lol. She hadn't even asked for one and I had made it clear that it was dream of mine to own a mens version. Anyway, she turned it down. It was 34mm so no way I could wear it. My suggestion after this "manager talk" would be to wait and see if they offer something from your wish list but I would absolutely not be pressured into buying some overpriced references you don't want. It's just not worth it in the end. This company doesn't give 2c about it's customers (unless you are a celebrity or influencer).
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 12:38 PM   #29
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Agree our collective experiences are purely dependent on the SA and the individual situations/brands we are seeking. But I can tell you as a collector that has been in it before the hype that there has been zero regard for me with AP. I understand YMMV. I am all set with my grey 15202st (only watch I ever wanted from AP) so no skin in the game anymore but just hope others realize that and move on before they get burned.
Old 3 August 2024, 12:59 PM   #30
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsstructures View Post
Not sure that there's an SA anywhere in the US that could do much for a client with OPs wishlist ("Double balance and RD3 for myself, ceramics and frosted gold pieces for my wife"). They could either say it's not going to happen anytime soon, or suggest "the journey" that has everyone up in arms to allow OP to leapfrog everyone else waiting for the same models forever.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote