The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2024, 11:03 PM   #1
Joemannnnn
"TRF" Member

What to add to the collection?

I've been fortunate to collect a few nice watches over the years. I currently have a SD4k, a Batgirl, and a 2 Liner Pelagos. I know it's not worth as much, but I'm considering selling the Pelagos and saving up for something different.

I've been considering a Bluesy. Admittedly I was never a big fan of these, but it's growing on me and the previous version isn't outrageously priced in the grey market. The other option I have liked is the new white Speedmaster. I'll be honest, I love the Daytona, but that's likely never going to happen. So the Speedmaster maybe fills that void.

Appreciate any input on what to add and open to other ideas as well.
Joemannnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:56 PM   #2
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I already have the 11 series Bluesy, which is a really nice watch, not as gaudy as it might appear in photos. It is a thing of beauty. I really like the white Speedy. With a diver already in the collection I'd be leaning towards the Omega but you can't go wrong either way.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:00 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Since you already have a diver, adding the chrono makes some sense from a diversification standpoint.

The Omega moonwatch is about as classic as it gets, and it is an exceptional value IMO
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:04 AM   #4
tommm
"TRF" Member

Dont get the Speedmaster. If you want the daytona it just wont fill that void.

I've always wanted a pre-ceramic daytona, and I ended up getting the new Speedy Pro a while back. Firstly, it didnt scratch that itch and secondly, one of the pushers snapped and came off in my hands when operating it. It was only a few months old from new.

I had it fixed on warranty and sold it, really luckily for a fraction under what I paid for it.

Basically, the Omega will not stand up to the watch you want. Either save for the Daytona or dont, but dont think anything else will scratch that itch.

The speedmaster is a great watch in its own right, but you have to lust after it. Dont treat it as a lesser option.

Personally, I cant stand the twisted lugs or the poor build quality.
tommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:13 AM   #5
Joemannnnn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommm View Post
Dont get the Speedmaster. If you want the daytona it just wont fill that void.

I've always wanted a pre-ceramic daytona, and I ended up getting the new Speedy Pro a while back. Firstly, it didnt scratch that itch and secondly, one of the pushers snapped and came off in my hands when operating it. It was only a few months old from new.

I had it fixed on warranty and sold it, really luckily for a fraction under what I paid for it.

Basically, the Omega will not stand up to the watch you want. Either save for the Daytona or dont, but dont think anything else will scratch that itch.

The speedmaster is a great watch in its own right, but you have to lust after it. Dont treat it as a lesser option.

Personally, I cant stand the twisted lugs or the poor build quality.
Well you've basically described the reservation I have with it. I know a lot of people love the Speedmaster and I've handled the typical black version at an AD before and just wasn't blown away by it. I do really like the aesthetic of the new white version and that got me somewhat interested again. But yea, it is sort of a place filler for the Daytona which would be ideal, just not realistic.

The price is right on the Speedmaster and wouldn't be too costly especially if I flip my Pelagos. It also flies under the radar a bit more which I appreciate. The Bluesy is the opposite. But the BLNR stands out I feel and I've been ok with that. I typically liked to fly under the rader, hence the Pelagos.
Old 8 August 2024, 12:37 AM   #6
derrondoc
2024 Pledge Member

I have both the bluesy and white dial Speedmaster. My vote is bluesy by a mile. Like you I’m looking at a few years wait for any chance at a Daytona. The Speedmaster is nice in its own way - it is sharp and extremely accurate - looks good on bracelet or straps. But it is not a Daytona. The bluesy feels special and I suspect it will still feel special if I am able to add a Daytona someday.
derrondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:49 AM   #7
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

I've had the speedmaster and whilst I initially loved it I found the bracelet really poor at the price point and quickly moved it on. It's a watch I love the look of but it's price isnt justified imo.
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:13 AM   #8
tommm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemannnnn View Post
Well you've basically described the reservation I have with it. I know a lot of people love the Speedmaster and I've handled the typical black version at an AD before and just wasn't blown away by it. I do really like the aesthetic of the new white version and that got me somewhat interested again. But yea, it is sort of a place filler for the Daytona which would be ideal, just not realistic.

The price is right on the Speedmaster and wouldn't be too costly especially if I flip my Pelagos. It also flies under the radar a bit more which I appreciate. The Bluesy is the opposite. But the BLNR stands out I feel and I've been ok with that. I typically liked to fly under the rader, hence the Pelagos.
Yeah I would wait if I were you. Its not a replacement for a daytona, in my view although the Speedy has provenance, the only one worth having is the Ed White without the twisted lugs.

For me though, although the movements are superior at the price point they're at, if a pusher snaps off after 3 months its poor build quality. I think they're watering down the offering with exhibition casebacks, non exhibition, sapphire sandwich dials, Ed Whites, Snoopys or whatever. Its classic Omega; and im a fan of the brand.

But the current Speedmaster line up is a total mess.

Be very wary when buying one. You're gonna lose money fast cos they trade well under retail grey these days, so you need to know you're gonna absolutely love it.
tommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:21 AM   #9
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Add a rainbow daytona
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:42 AM   #10
cdmorenot

Watch: Rolex & Omega
An Omega Speedmaster will not substitute the desire for a Daytona. So if you're only getting it because you want to fill the void, don't.

The complete opposite happened to me. I picked up my Daytona a few weeks ago and while I am in love with it and will not be parting ways anytime soon, I still want the "real deal" and I am referring to a Moonwatch.

I would not sell the Pelagos, you're going to get so little in return that it's just not worth getting rid of an incredible piece over a few bucks.

I think you need something a little shiny in your collection. The SD4K, the BLRN and the Pelagos are incredible tool watches. I'd go for something classic! A DJ with a fluted bezel, a Skydweller or something like that! Bluesy is great too.
Old 8 August 2024, 02:06 AM   #11
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post

I would not sell the Pelagos, you're going to get so little in return that it's just not worth getting rid of an incredible piece over a few bucks.

I think you need something a little shiny in your collection. The SD4K, the BLRN and the Pelagos are incredible tool watches. I'd go for something classic! A DJ with a fluted bezel, a Skydweller or something like that! Bluesy is great too.
Tend to agree with these points, especially about how little you will get for the Pelagos.

DJ with fluted bezel and jubilee would be a nice addition.
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:13 AM   #12
Joemannnnn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrondoc View Post
I have both the bluesy and white dial Speedmaster. My vote is bluesy by a mile. Like you I’m looking at a few years wait for any chance at a Daytona. The Speedmaster is nice in its own way - it is sharp and extremely accurate - looks good on bracelet or straps. But it is not a Daytona. The bluesy feels special and I suspect it will still feel special if I am able to add a Daytona someday.
Great feedback, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Add a rainbow daytona
You got one you'd sell me? Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
An Omega Speedmaster will not substitute the desire for a Daytona. So if you're only getting it because you want to fill the void, don't.

The complete opposite happened to me. I picked up my Daytona a few weeks ago and while I am in love with it and will not be parting ways anytime soon, I still want the "real deal" and I am referring to a Moonwatch.

Yea, I've been on the fence about moving the Pelagos. I told myself I'd sell it to help offset the cost of buying the BLNR at grey market, and it never happened, ha.

It's funny you mention the DJ and Skydweller as those with the blue dials have caught my eye as well. Appreciate the input
Old 8 August 2024, 06:50 AM   #13
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
What to add to the collection?

I have the BLNR GMT on Jubilee, a blue dial Seamaster, and a black dial Submariner, and I’m still considering the blue dial two tone Sub, too. That’s a lot of blue and a lot of divers, but I still want it.

If you’re going for the Speedmaster, I think it should be black, and I have one of those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 08:05 AM   #14
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I just traded in a Bluesy, got a Moser green Pioneer.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 08:29 AM   #15
Edwardfry3
"TRF" Member

The Bluesy or the new white Speedmaster both sound like great choices. If you're leaning towards a different style, maybe one of those could be a nice addition. The Speedmaster does have that classic vibe like the Daytona, so it could be a good substitute.
Edwardfry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 10:49 AM   #16
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemannnnn View Post

The Speedmaster is an awesome watch, and stands on its own. It’s special. I’d rather have one, than a Daytona. I regret letting mine go. The Daytona is a hype watch , IMO. I advise you to try on a Speedy, and see what you think. The Bluesy reminds me of an old man’s watch, from the 80’s.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 11:04 AM   #17
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
You don't seem really hot on either model. I'd wait until something really speaks to you.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 11:28 PM   #18
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Since you already have a diver, adding the chrono makes some sense from a diversification standpoint.

The Omega moonwatch is about as classic as it gets, and it is an exceptional value IMO
Got to agree with this logic.

Although I will add, don't get rid of your Pelagos...having such a nice and versatile diver laying around for all those times you might be hesitant to wear a Rolex is never a bad thing.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote