The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2024, 07:40 AM   #1
NAUI1982
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Icon6 URGENT: Got Another Call but…

I’m torn! What do I do? I was tired of waiting for the call and bought my 126711CHNR from a great TD about two weeks ago.

Got the call last night from my AD that they had a 126711CHNR just come in with my name on it!

These are not selling above MSRP but actually right at market when you calculate plus tax. What do I do? I want to build the relationship, and this AD has been GREAT, so turning this down may not be the best idea, but I also can’t resell to a grey dealer, they won’t offer MSRP + Tax.

Do I tell the AD that I already got one?
Do I go to my AD and see if they received anything else and offer to leave the Rootbeer?
Do I buy it and hold it BNIB and see if the market comes back around?

Shoot, do I tell the AD that I already bought one and just decline it?

If they don’t have anything else that suits me, then I can only risk turning them down and hoping they don’t get pissed at me. It clearly makes no sense to buy it and flip, that’s a losing proposition.

What a woeful position to suddenly find myself in.

What do you all think?
NAUI1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 07:44 AM   #2
tbm311
"TRF" Member

Buy it, sell it to a friend at MSRP?
tbm311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 07:45 AM   #3
aboutime
"TRF" Member

I’d be upfront with the AD on your situation. If you cannot be straight with them it’s not the sort of relationship you want then (too hard to remember lies). I don’t think buying it to hold or on sell is a good idea. Let someone else enjoy that call now that you have yours already. Congrats on the earlier acquisition.
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 07:46 AM   #4
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

All depends how badly you want the relationship with the AD if it were me I'd just pass and tell them I already got one but if you value the relationship then just buy it and list the one you got from the grey dealer for sale to a retail buyer (eBay, Facebook marketplace, etc)
BriansRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 07:46 AM   #5
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Don’t buy anything you dont need.
Tell AD you have to pass for now, he will sell to someone else.
Don’t know why you care about AD feelings so much, he has kept you on a waitlist for a long time.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 07:51 AM   #6
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Buy it and have one on each wrist.
Your welcome

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 07:54 AM   #7
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
How long were you waiting for the AD? If you’ve been waiting a long time, I’d have given up too and would just say you already bought one.

If you just asked for it a month ago, it would look odd if you declined.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 08:02 AM   #8
Xander_Foxx3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm311 View Post

That is the easiest way out and preserves many options for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xander_Foxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 08:07 AM   #9
NAUI1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
I’d be upfront with the AD on your situation. If you cannot be straight with them it’s not the sort of relationship you want then (too hard to remember lies). I don’t think buying it to hold or on sell is a good idea. Let someone else enjoy that call now that you have yours already. Congrats on the earlier acquisition.
Thanks, thoughtful reply. I don’t want to lie to the AD, would rather be straight up honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm311 View Post
I’m that friend who likes watches, my other friends have different hobbies. Golf clubs for example. 😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansRolex View Post
All depends how badly you want the relationship with the AD if it were me I'd just pass and tell them I already got one but if you value the relationship then just buy it and list the one you got from the grey dealer for sale to a retail buyer (eBay, Facebook marketplace, etc)
. That’s an idea. Sell direct myself, I’m just not inclined to go through that hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Don’t buy anything you dont need.
Tell AD you have to pass for now, he will sell to someone else.
Don’t know why you care about AD feelings so much, he has kept you on a waitlist for a long time.
. Wasn’t long, about two months. And it seems that these come in quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooey View Post
Buy it and have one on each wrist.
Your welcome .

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
How long were you waiting for the AD? If you’ve been waiting a long time, I’d have given up too and would just say you already bought one.

If you just asked for it a month ago, it would look odd if you declined.
It’s going to look odd, it’s only been two months. That’s why I’m thinking I just tell him I already go one. Though I suspect they will not call me again.
Old 10 August 2024, 08:10 AM   #10
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Respectfully, your AD has probably already seen this thread. They’re not dumb. I would be honest with them. What you do now will have a lasting impact on your future relationship. You will never go wrong by treating them with respect and giving them the chance to sell to another interested party.
Old 10 August 2024, 08:11 AM   #11
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Option 1 If it's been a very long wait for more than 6 months, tell them you already bought one from the secondary market.

Option 2 buy it and sell the one you got from the secondary market this way you build a relationship with this AD.

As a side note, you should have taken your name off the waiting list the minute you bought the watch.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 08:12 AM   #12
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
This

They have to understand the market has changed and they're opportunities elsewhere.

If they committed to getting you a specific piece within a certain time frame it would be different.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 08:14 AM   #13
NAUI1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
Option 1 If it's been a very long wait for more than 6 months, tell them you already bought one from the secondary market.

Option 2 buy it and sell the one you got from the secondary market this way you build a relationship with this AD.

As a side note, you should have taken your name off the waiting list the minute you bought the watch.
100% should have called them and taken that watch off my list.
Old 10 August 2024, 08:16 AM   #14
NAUI1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Respectfully, your AD has probably already seen this thread. They’re not dumb. I would be honest with them. What you do now will have a lasting impact on your future relationship. You will never go wrong by treating them with respect and giving them the chance to sell to another interested party.
Probably. I just want to shoot straight! Even buying it and selling the one I already have isn’t something I’d want to put time into…. I’m sure they will not have a hard time making another customer happy!!!
Old 10 August 2024, 09:39 AM   #15
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Honesty is best.

Tell them you got tired of waiting. They don’t care as long as you’re honest about it. They’re not reading this thread. They have better things to do, and they know somebody else that will buy that watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 09:43 AM   #16
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
I'd buy it from the AD and sell the grey one at a loss. I hate owning grey market watches.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 09:43 AM   #17
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post

That’s why we always “ask for a friend.”

Gotta be always one step ahead of the AD
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 09:49 AM   #18
Socal Runner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Day-Date
Do not decline if you've been asking for it. Doesn't matter to them what the circumstances are in this case- I don't agree with some other comments in the thread.

In your AD's eyes, you've been asking for a specific watch and they finally come through for you to decline it? It just doesn't set a good president. Certainly won't help your relationship with them. I would buy the one with your name on it and sell your other one to a friend/contact at MSRP or however you can break even. Even though the market isn't super high on them right now it is still a fantastic watch that is sought after.

And they likely aren't reading this thread. They have better things to do like hoard the nice watches we all want in the safe.
Socal Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 09:49 AM   #19
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Interesting that you decided to buy grey after only a 2 month wait.

What I would do personally--I'd sell back your 126711CHNR to the trusted seller or at least shop it around and see what hit you'll take. I'd buy the 126711CHNR new from the AD and build the relationship.

Other options is to pass on it, but if you do this do not say you already have one, say something came up and you remain interested but now is not the time. Then a few weeks/months later say you're in a better position than before but want to change your request after researching other models. If you do this NEVER wear your 126711CHNR to this AD.

Honestly AD's are used to people flaking out all the time. It's super easy to put your name down for any model but when they come to collect it's hard to just drop $10,000+ cash on a whim. They probably would not give it a second thought.

But if you tell the AD you are passing because you already bought one after only requesting it 2 months ago, I can guarantee they will remember that for a long, long time.

What I would not do:
-Do not buy the AD watch to hold, not worth tying up the money in this model
-Do not buy the AD watch to resell.
-Do not tell the AD you already have it. If you weren't willing to wait 2 months for a watch why bother selling you anything else?
-Do not try to sell the watch on your own unless you know what you are doing. It will be very difficult to do with no references and the chances you will be scammed are very high. Sell it to a trusted grey and move on.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 10:01 AM   #20
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post

What I would do personally--I'd sell back your 126711CHNR to the trusted seller or at least shop it around and see what hit you'll take. I'd buy the 126711CHNR new from the AD and build the relationship.

Other options is to pass on it, but if you do this do not say you already have one, say something came up and you remain interested but now is not the time. Then a few weeks/months later say you're in a better position than before but want to change your request after researching other models. If you do this NEVER wear your 126711CHNR to this AD.

Honestly AD's are used to people flaking out all the time. It's super easy to put your name down for any model but when they come to collect it's hard to just drop $10,000+ cash on a whim. They probably would not give it a second thought.

But if you tell the AD you are passing because you already bought one after only requesting it 2 months ago, I can guarantee they will remember that for a long, long time.

What I would not do:
-Do not tell the AD you already have it. If you weren't willing to wait 2 months for a watch why bother selling you anything else?
-Do not try to sell the watch on your own unless you know what you are doing. It will be very difficult to do with no references and the chances you will be scammed are very high. Sell it to a trusted grey and move on.
This is a costly route for OP. First he bought grey market and paid a premium, now you ask him to sell it to a grey dealer who will give wholesale and take a loss, and then buy the watch from AD, assuming he has to pay tax at pickup.

Tell AD that you have to pass now, things have changed. Enjoy your grey market piece. If the AD never calls you again, no big deal.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 12:19 PM   #21
prnceofpersia23

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
I'd buy it from the AD and sell the grey one at a loss. I hate owning grey market watches.
As much as I'd hate to take the loss on the grey watch, this is probably what I'd do. Will keep your relationship with the AD in good standing (not that turning it down will ruin it, but, you know...) and give you a fresh watch that is YOURS.

Also, maybe wait more than 6 weeks before you go grey? Lol
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 12:25 PM   #22
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Just be straight man. Tell them one popped up and you snagged it.
The best advice I’ve seen on here is
Don’t buy a watch you don’t want
Dawgprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 12:28 PM   #23
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
URGENT: Got Another Call but…

I’d call a TD and see how much you can get for the one you already bought. I would buy the one from the AD, especially if they got it for you with a short wait time. Building a relationship is important for someone who wants more watches. It has worked well for me. I’ve been promised the very next Explorer my AD gets. I can wait. If you have to take a hit, because you were impatient, so what! It’s only money. You will likely make it up in the long run.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 12:51 PM   #24
thatswhatshesaid
"TRF" Member

Buy it, keep it and sell the grey market piece. You'll have the piece of mind of having an AD purchase, build purchase history and more or less break even.
thatswhatshesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 12:51 PM   #25
NAUI1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
This is a costly route for OP. First he bought grey market and paid a premium, now you ask him to sell it to a grey dealer who will give wholesale and take a loss, and then buy the watch from AD, assuming he has to pay tax at pickup.

Tell AD that you have to pass now, things have changed. Enjoy your grey market piece. If the AD never calls you again, no big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I’d call a TD and see how much you can get for the one you already bought. I would buy the one from the AD, especially if they got it for you with a short wait time. Building a relationship is important for someone who wants more watches. It has worked well for me. I’ve been promised the very next Explorer my AD gets. I can wait. If you have to take a hit, because you were impatient, so what! It’s only money. You will likely make it up in the long run.

Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post

What I would not do:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Runner View Post
Do not decline if you've been asking for it. Doesn't matter to them what the circumstances are in this case- I don't agree with some other comments in the thread.

In your AD's eyes, you've been asking for a specific watch and they finally come through for you to decline it? It just doesn't set a good president. Certainly won't help your relationship with them. I would buy the one with your name on it and sell your other one to a friend/contact at MSRP or however you can break even. Even though the market isn't super high on them right now it is still a fantastic watch that is sought after.

And they likely aren't reading this thread. They have better things to do like hoard the nice watches we all want in the safe.

These are all great ideas and comments. To be honest, I didn’t expect a call so quickly! So despite buying from a TD, (at nothing more than what would be retail plus tax) when that call came in, I panicked.

So here’s how it played out!

I went to the AD, and they were very excited to see me. I asked how were they able to get the Rootbeer to me so quickly, and the response blew me away and makes the rest of the story not just a lesson, but told me exactly what I needed to do!

They said very matter of factly, that I stood out. I’m the guy that despite creating a list with them of what I’d like, go beyond by staying in touch and expressing a continued interest in not just Rolex, but them. I’m one of the few customers that stops by and says hi, to just talk watches. I’m the guy that periodically sends an email that tells them how much I am enjoying the watch I got from them last year and attaches pics of it on my wrist out in the wild. And when the Rootbeer came in, they said of ALL THE MANY CUSOMTERS who have put it at the top of their list, most all them are never heard from again, or one every six months will call and ask why they haven’t been called yet.

So when the Rootbeer came in, they said it was easy, call a rando person that they never hear from who has requested it, or call me. So that’s what they did.

So after hearing that, I didn’t bother to say I already got one. I went ahead and bought it. I contacted the amazing TD that I bought it from a mere two weeks ago and he agreed to take it back and sell it for me on consignment. He said he’d be happy to help me get as much out of it as I can, and he is such an AMAZING TD, he will get more business from me for doing this!

So frankly, I may lose a few bucks in this particular situation, but in the end I have created a terrific relationship with my AD, and a trusted partnership with an amazing TD who cares about his customers and knows how to earn a long term customer as well…

This story ends well! Beyond well. IMHO!
Old 10 August 2024, 12:52 PM   #26
NAUI1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswhatshesaid View Post
Buy it, keep it and sell the grey market piece. You'll have the piece of mind of having an AD purchase, build purchase history and more or less break even.

Yes, I was writing the closing to this story as you posted! This is exactly what is going to happen!
Old 10 August 2024, 12:58 PM   #27
Socal Runner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUI1982 View Post
These are all great ideas and comments. To be honest, I didn’t expect a call so quickly! So despite buying from a TD, (at nothing more than what would be retail plus tax) when that call came in, I panicked.

So here’s how it played out!

I went to the AD, and they were very excited to see me. I asked how were they able to get the Rootbeer to me so quickly, and the response blew me away and makes the rest of the story not just a lesson, but told me exactly what I needed to do!

They said very matter of factly, that I stood out. I’m the guy that despite creating a list with them of what I’d like, go beyond by staying in touch and expressing a continued interest in not just Rolex, but them. I’m one of the few customers that stops by and says hi, to just talk watches. I’m the guy that periodically sends an email that tells them how much I am enjoying the watch I got from them last year and attaches pics of it on my wrist out in the wild. And when the Rootbeer came in, they said of ALL THE MANY CUSOMTERS who have put it at the top of their list, most all them are never heard from again, or one every six months will call and ask why they haven’t been called yet.

So when the Rootbeer came in, they said it was easy, call a rando person that they never hear from who has requested it, or call me. So that’s what they did.

So after hearing that, I didn’t bother to say I already got one. I went ahead and bought it. I contacted the amazing TD that I bought it from a mere two weeks ago and he agreed to take it back and sell it for me on consignment. He said he’d be happy to help me get as much out of it as I can, and he is such an AMAZING TD, he will get more business from me for doing this!

So frankly, I may lose a few bucks in this particular situation, but in the end I have created a terrific relationship with my AD, and a trusted partnership with an amazing TD who cares about his customers and knows how to earn a long term customer as well…

This story ends well! Beyond well. IMHO!
Amazing. Glad to hear it all worked out. You definitely made the right decision and will likely get more great watches from your AD considering. Wear the new watch in good health! Beautiful piece.
Socal Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 01:15 PM   #28
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Hi OP, I read this whole thread with great interest.
I understood your dilemma, and agree that it was not an easy call.
And many words of wisdom from the forum members offered with differing viewpoints.
I am pleased for you that you achieved a great outcome, and can now enjoy your new beautiful GMT.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 01:21 PM   #29
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
URGENT: Got Another Call but…

See? In my mind, it was the only thing to do. Perfect, and a good outcome all around. I hope you remembered to act excited when they sized it and you put it on your wrist, for the very first time. Well played, Doug!

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 01:37 PM   #30
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Moral of the story. Have a little bit of patience.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote