The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 August 2024, 07:37 PM   #1
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Icon13 Yacht-Master 40 Blue Expected wait time? UK

Hi,

I am in the UK and put my name down for a YachtMaster 40 blue dial a couple of weeks ago. Anticipation is building like mad. I want it noww!!

What is the expected wait time for a YM40 with a blue dial on average in the current market?

Seen a few grey ones for retail or a few 100 over for 2024. Not sure how long to wait before going grey.
whatisarolexym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 07:43 PM   #2
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisarolexym View Post
Hi,

I am in the UK and put my name down for a YachtMaster 40 blue dial a couple of weeks ago. Anticipation is building like mad. I want it noww!!

What is the expected wait time for a YM40 with a blue dial on average in the current market?

Seen a few grey ones for retail or a few 100 over for 2024. Not sure how long to wait before going grey.
Likelyhood is you'll never know how long it's likely to be, the AD won't be able to give a definitive time period just an estimation.

If you can find one as new I'd go grey and get it now personally. Buy the seller, also chances are you'll get a discount on whatever they're asking so you may end up getting it under retail which is a win win for me.

You only live once, don't wait especially if it's no different to the retail price.
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 07:59 PM   #3
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
You should be able to get this YM40 without a huge wait possibly even as a walk in if you come across well
Old 11 August 2024, 08:05 PM   #4
exp90
"TRF" Member

Have seen one available to buy on walk-in recently. Assume low demand for this reference.
exp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 08:06 PM   #5
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
I’ve seen plenty of YM’s in AD’s windows, but thinking about it not many blue dial 40’s..

Still don’t think it will take that long if you’ve put your name down at an AD. A couple of months perhaps?

Stunning reference though - good choice!
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 08:08 PM   #6
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzie1982 View Post
Likelyhood is you'll never know how long it's likely to be, the AD won't be able to give a definitive time period just an estimation.

If you can find one as new I'd go grey and get it now personally. Buy the seller, also chances are you'll get a discount on whatever they're asking so you may end up getting it under retail which is a win win for me.

You only live once, don't wait especially if it's no different to the retail price.
Thanks. I am holding off for a new one if I can manage to be patient. I guess I wouldn't have the slight anxiety about authenticity then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post
You should be able to get this YM40 without a huge wait possibly even as a walk in if you come across well
I was not able to get it at walk-in, though I said I wanted it later in the year, and now realised I want it now, will have to try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exp90 View Post
Have seen one available to buy on walk-in recently. Assume low demand for this reference.
May I ask where this was? I need to go back to the AD and ask to have one now
Old 11 August 2024, 08:55 PM   #7
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
I saw one for sale at Eastbourne AD several weeks ago, perhaps you could enquire there? Definitely don't buy from a reseller.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 09:02 PM   #8
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. I am holding off for a new one if I can manage to be patient. I guess I wouldn't have the slight anxiety about authenticity then.

I was not able to get it at walk-in, though I said I wanted it later in the year, and now realised I want it now, will have to try again.

May I ask where this was? I need to go back to the AD and ask to have one now

I get that, that's why I buy the seller and save some cash along the way.
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 09:22 PM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It depends on a number of factors and will vary from AD to AD. The only indicator I have, possibly not reliable, is that the 40mm and 37mm SS with blue and grey dials were the last Sport models to go from my AD's window when they displayed watches which you could walk in and buy. This suggests better availability due to lower demand, or shorter waiting lists as things presently stand. Did your AD not give any indication?
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 09:26 PM   #10
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
It depends on a number of factors and will vary from AD to AD. The only indicator I have, possibly not reliable, is that the 40mm and 37mm SS with blue and grey dials were the last Sport models to go from my AD's window when they displayed watches which you could walk in and buy. This suggests better availability due to lower demand, or shorter waiting lists as things presently stand. Did your AD not give any indication?
Initially I said I wanted it towards the new year before changing my mind so I am not sure about an indication. I have seen it 3x in the window and I really want it now
Old 11 August 2024, 09:34 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have seen it 3x in the window and I really want it now
I have to admit that when my AD had them on display for sale in 2019 I had to exercise willpower. It is an a beautiful watch, particularly with the blue dial. The main thing that stopped me was the bezel. It would have looked silly on me. Personal preference, eye of the beholder and all that. I wish you a short wait.
Old 11 August 2024, 09:39 PM   #12
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
Quote:
I have seen it 3x in the window and I really want it now
Seeing this reference IRL has this effect!!

Out of about 20-25 various Rolex models on display in my AD when I saw mine, it was the watch that stood out to me aesthetically & I had to have.

My mate has the slate dial version & a Pepsi. It’s his YM that gets the most wrist time…
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 10:12 PM   #13
explorer42
"TRF" Member

It’s not available as a walk-in anywhere, obviously (self proclaimed vanity to portray otherwise).

The blue (and slate) YM40 is the best looking (& wearing) watch in the current ‘sports’ line up, in my opinion. I have both. It is more readily available than the more ubiquitous Submariners and GMTs as it is less immediately obvious (as a Rolex) and therefore less popular with the lemmings/Insta flex chavs. The AD wait time shouldn’t be too long (less than a year) accordingly, although it depends on the level of disingenuousness of your particular AD (some are more disingenuous than others….but they are all disingenuous).

Will Wiseman has a 2022 blue dial YM40 for £600 UNDER retail. There would probably be room for a bit more discount if you discuss it with Will and no concerns about authenticity, at all (one of the best dealers out there). I would definitely get the one Will has if I was looking for one right now (& avoid the AD route).
explorer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 10:47 PM   #14
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer42 View Post
It’s not available as a walk-in anywhere, obviously (self proclaimed vanity to portray otherwise).

The blue (and slate) YM40 is the best looking (& wearing) watch in the current ‘sports’ line up, in my opinion. I have both. It is more readily available than the more ubiquitous Submariners and GMTs as it is less immediately obvious (as a Rolex) and therefore less popular with the lemmings/Insta flex chavs. The AD wait time shouldn’t be too long (less than a year) accordingly, although it depends on the level of disingenuousness of your particular AD (some are more disingenuous than others….but they are all disingenuous).

Will Wiseman has a 2022 blue dial YM40 for £600 UNDER retail. There would probably be room for a bit more discount if you discuss it with Will and no concerns about authenticity, at all (one of the best dealers out there). I would definitely get the one Will has if I was looking for one right now (& avoid the AD route).
Thank you for this. I have seen that. Just since it was 2021, I would only get 2years of warranty which was something on my mind. But again, great price.

And this is my issue with ADs. I would love a brand new watch. But I don't know what more I could do to get it sooner. Although the Sales Associates are great, I have no idea if they can deliver.
Old 11 August 2024, 11:11 PM   #15
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Disagree. See my earlier post and others' posts. Nothing in it for me to portray otherwise.
Old 12 August 2024, 01:18 AM   #16
explorer42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Explorer View Post
Disagree. See my earlier post and others' posts. Nothing in it for me to portray otherwise.
I was just trying to help the OP by being realistic about availability. S/he is not likely to get one as a walk-in. S/he is likely to have to wait 6-12 months.

The blue dial YM40 is sometimes displayed in an AD window (on an ‘exhibition only’ basis, along with other models). You may have seen one and mistaken it as such. Otherwise walk-ins (being allowed to purchase watches that are otherwise exhibition only) are reserved for those that enjoy ‘VVIP’ status with their AD (hence my reference to vanity if someone portrays their ability to walk-in and buy such a watch).
Old 12 August 2024, 01:29 AM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The blue dial YM40 is sometimes displayed in an AD window (on an ‘exhibition only’ basis, along with other models). You may have seen one and mistaken it as such. Otherwise walk-ins (being allowed to purchase watches that are otherwise exhibition only) are reserved for those that enjoy ‘VVIP’ status with their AD (hence my reference to vanity if someone portrays their ability to walk-in and buy such a watch).
This is a convincing narrative and may be true but it never hurts to walk in and ask. Sometimes it happens. I know this because it has been reported here and it has happened to me. Mostly it doesn't.
Old 12 August 2024, 06:37 AM   #18
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was just trying to help the OP by being realistic about availability. S/he is not likely to get one as a walk-in. S/he is likely to have to wait 6-12 months.

All I can say is that when I was at this particular AD earlier this summer, it was for immediate sale (not exhibition only - I know the difference).

It's a nice watch but it's far from being the most in-demand (that's just how it is).
Old 12 August 2024, 06:41 AM   #19
peptide45
"TRF" Member

So many factors here that make it hard to predict. I’d say anywhere from 6-18 months unless you have some history with AD. I have this watch and love it. So versatile. Hang in there and check in with AD every couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peptide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 09:08 PM   #20
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peptide45 View Post
So many factors here that make it hard to predict. I’d say anywhere from 6-18 months unless you have some history with AD. I have this watch and love it. So versatile. Hang in there and check in with AD every couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really hope it is lower than that. Not going to lie, am rather jealous that you have it and I don't haha!

On another note, I saw a new listing for someone who bought it from an AD who I am registered at and has flipped it immediately. Really annoyed me that genuine customers like myself are behind on the 'list' as compared to flippers
Old 13 August 2024, 02:13 PM   #21
Polyesterpig
"TRF" Member

On a positive note. The blue dial is easier to get than the slate dial. It seems everybody sees them at the AD, but you never really see steel 40mm yacht-masters in the wild. Kinda nice in my opinion.
Old 13 August 2024, 07:43 PM   #22
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Hi,

It could be a month or two, a year or two or somewhere in between.

It all depends on where you stand in the pecking order in the store for that watch.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 06:53 AM   #23
assetappeal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Paul Newman
Quote:
Hi,

The Yachtmaster 40 with that blue dial is a stunner, great choice!
As for the wait time... It's a bit of a tricky one to nail down exactly, but I'll give you my two cents based on what I've been seeing lately. In the current market, for a YM40 blue dial in the UK, you're probably looking at anywhere from 3 to 8 months on average. But here's the kicker – it can really vary depending on your relationship with the AD, how often they get allocations, and a bit of luck. This could also mean you may never see one if you're not insistent (i.e. showing up to the store, sending texts, reminding of special occasions and milestones, etc.)
I've had clients with buying history who snagged one in as little as 6 weeks, and others who have been waiting for nearly two years.

My two cents? If you can handle the wait, stick with your AD. But if you're itching to get it now and find a solid grey deal, the cooling market also offers that option.
assetappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 09:10 PM   #24
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assetappeal View Post
The Yachtmaster 40 with that blue dial is a stunner, great choice!
As for the wait time... It's a bit of a tricky one to nail down exactly, but I'll give you my two cents based on what I've been seeing lately. In the current market, for a YM40 blue dial in the UK, you're probably looking at anywhere from 3 to 8 months on average. But here's the kicker – it can really vary depending on your relationship with the AD, how often they get allocations, and a bit of luck. This could also mean you may never see one if you're not insistent (i.e. showing up to the store, sending texts, reminding of special occasions and milestones, etc.)
I've had clients with buying history who snagged one in as little as 6 weeks, and others who have been waiting for nearly two years.

My two cents? If you can handle the wait, stick with your AD. But if you're itching to get it now and find a solid grey deal, the cooling market also offers that option.
Thank you for this. I have buying history with WOS of £10k but they told me 12-18 months which I think is pretty ridiculous.
I would prefer buying it from an AD but also do not want to miss out on some amazing deals on the grey market now for unworn and stickered for RRP
Old 15 August 2024, 02:15 AM   #25
mike morris
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB40-DJ36-YM40
May I sold my GS and call my 2 AD for this and answer 6-10 months, found on chrono only 200$ premium for unworn with couple stickers .good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2024-8-13-081230.jpeg (235.8 KB, 162 views)
mike morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 02:26 AM   #26
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Just go back to the AD, and explain to your SA that you’d really like it ASAP, and ask for a time frame. If it’s not too long, exercise some patience. It will be worth it in the end. Good luck.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 04:02 AM   #27
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Just go back to the AD, and explain to your SA that you’d really like it ASAP, and ask for a time frame. If it’s not too long, exercise some patience. It will be worth it in the end. Good luck.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I keep bugging my AD but will try again. I know it will be worth it and am so excited, but it's that unknown which is so annoying
Old 15 August 2024, 05:03 AM   #28
MannyMann
"TRF" Member

You can't really know the exact time, but I believe you will get it soon, not sure you have to wait for long, call your AD and explain how ASAP you need it you might stand a chance of getting it.
MannyMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 06:25 AM   #29
explorer42
"TRF" Member

Why don’t you take a couple of days to travel around a few UK cities and call in to ADs. The posts by S.Explorer above suggest it is readily available by just walking in to an AD and asking to buy one, low demand for it etc.

If it helps, Laings in Cardiff had one in the window on Saturday (although it was clearly labelled as Exhibition Only). But if demand for this model really is low, they may be keen to offload it. The consensus on the thread suggests otherwise, but worth a try?
Old 15 August 2024, 07:00 AM   #30
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why don’t you take a couple of days to travel around a few UK cities and call in to ADs. The posts by above suggest it is readily available by just walking in to an AD and asking to buy one, low demand for it etc.

If it helps, Laings in Cardiff had one in the window on Saturday (although it was clearly labelled as Exhibition Only). But if demand for this model really is low, they may be keen to offload it. The consensus on the thread suggests otherwise, but worth a try?
Tbh, it would be cheaper to buy it grey then the ticket to visit other places in the UK haha! 2 London ADs had it on display so I might ask them when I next go in. Thank you for your help.