The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 August 2024, 02:33 AM   #1
WHSclub
"TRF" Member

Patek Philippe Service or Wachmaker

I have a Patek Philippe 3119. I think I broke the mainspring winding it too much. Does it matter if I send it in to Patek Philippe to have it fixed or is it fine to have a reputable watchmaker fix it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WHSclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 03:31 AM   #2
Mattt
"TRF" Member

I'd recommend sending it to a really reputable watchmaker. Patek might take longer than usual to fix it since I think they're currently restructuring their technical service.
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 04:41 AM   #3
WHSclub
"TRF" Member

Is there any way of being able to tell that the watch was services from a watch maker other than Patek? for example if anyone at a later date ever opened the case back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2024, 09:52 PM   #4
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Your watchmaker will not have replacement parts for it, so you will end up with a Frankenwatch. Send the watch to Henri Stern in NY. They should be able to service it there.

Like taking your Rolls Royce and having the transmission replaced with a Chevy Trans at your local mechanic.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 09:09 AM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
Your watchmaker will not have replacement parts for it, so you will end up with a Frankenwatch. Send the watch to Henri Stern in NY. They should be able to service it there.

Like taking your Rolls Royce and having the transmission replaced with a Chevy Trans at your local mechanic.

lol what a comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 05:46 PM   #6
WHSclub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin;[emoji[emoji638
[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]Your watchmaker will not have replacement parts for it, so you will end up with a Frankenwatch. Send the watch to Henri Stern in NY. They should be able to service it there.

Thank you — that’s what I was wondering — if there’s any difference between Patek service and a watchmakers service. Appreciate your response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 August 2024, 09:11 PM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

My watchmaker is Rolex certified and has told me he wouldn't attempt an overhaul on my Calatrava.

I'm sure he'd know what to do, but some things take experience, require custom tools, and a PP parts account that 99% of watchmakers don't have.

Henri Stern Agency, my friend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 09:30 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would use PP for the service.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 09:59 PM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

I will only go to the local Patek Service Center directly for any work on my watches.

For background, the IWC certified watchmakers of my former Patek AD did a repair on one of my IWCs. Quite the disaster. Failed to repair the automatic winding mechanism (which is why I dropped off the watch) and polished the watch in a bad way against my explicit instruction to the SA who had accepted the watch. Given that said AD had sold me a 5711 earlier and as I was waiting on a few other Pateks at the time I didn't want to make a stink. In the end the IWC had to go to the local Richemont Service Center to get sorted and the AD has lost Patek earlier this year.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 11:21 PM   #10
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If whoever repairs the watch cannot use Patek parts why use them. Send it to Stern. No big deal.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 09:08 AM   #11
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Given that reference (which i have and is great) i would have patek only do it. Its a difficult watch to open for someone not as experienced with those references.
sportsfan0704 is online now   Reply With Quote