The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 August 2024, 01:00 PM   #1
honuswagner13
"TRF" Member

Building the most well rounded collection

Three years ago, I started my Rolex watch collection journey, and obtained the blue dial Skydweller on oyster. I then was able to add the 60th anniversary rose gold olive Daydate.

The next three models I’m after is a Pepsi GMT, a 41mm steel Sub Date and either a Panda or Platinum Daytona.

These are basically the models that I enjoy the most. If you were to look at my collection at that point, what have other board members done, after you obtained your most favorite pieces? Jump to another brand?
honuswagner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 01:20 PM   #2
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
My “most favorite” pieces have been a moving target since I started buying higher end watches a decade ago.

Whenever I finish a round of acquisitions I usually offload and start over. The watches that I always come back to are the Black Sub, Exp and Seamaster. Everything else can go at anytime, including my Daytona

On this round I have purchased brands other than Rolex and I’ve gotten more joy out of buying and wearing than ever before - I will say that this time around I’ve been buying with the intention of wearing and not hoarding “hype” pieces.
Old 15 August 2024, 03:31 PM   #3
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Looks like you’re done for watch types, metals and complications if you add what you’ve suggest edgbaston . Could add explorer 40 for fun to
throw in the “field” tool watch variety.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 03:40 PM   #4
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Building the most well rounded collection

Sounds great. I have a mix of Rolex and Omega. I generally buy watches I like the most rather than checking boxes.

For example, I have some redundancy in my collection. I got two divers. Plus, I have a Submariner and a GMT BLNR. So, stylistically, there’s some overlap.

I think I’m done for now, but I wouldn’t mind adding another Submariner. Specifically the blue dial, two-tone Sub. I also have my eye on a couple watches from Nomos (believe it or not).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 04:03 PM   #5
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Stick with Rolex, unless you are moving into a much higher price segment and more of an independent small-scale manufacture (e.g. AP, PP, or something like a Laurent Ferrier or FPJ).

I find it hard to look at the other "big" retail brands. Despite mass production, I feel like Rolex has really nailed the overall wearing experience and has the perfect balance of case design and bracelet. Every watch Rolex makes is just about perfect in some way, for some person. They all exude class and quality, even if pumped out to the tune of 1 million per year. The design ethos, combined with unbeatable reliability and accurate time-keeping, make Rolex a fantastic brand for me. Add on top of that the brand's prestige, desirability, and value retention, and you have a no-brainer. For the money, you are getting tremendous bang for your buck.

Anything else in this mid-range retail price category, just does nothing for me. Among competing retail brands (e.g. Omega the "available alternative" brand, or Cartier, JLC, IWC, Zenith etc.) those just simply fall short. I'll add that the ONLY other brand I like in this mid price-segment is Tudor, and there are certain Tudor models that I would consider placing into my collection: BB58, BB58 GMT, Pelagos 39.

Stepping up from here, personally, I would look at something like a Chopard LUC, Vacheron, or maybe ALS, something a little different and a little more special.
Old 15 August 2024, 05:41 PM   #6
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Sounds great. I have a mix of Rolex and Omega. I generally buy watches I like the most rather than checking boxes.

For example, I have some redundancy in my collection. I got two divers. Plus, I have a Submariner and a GMT BLNR. So, stylistically, there’s some overlap.

I think I’m done for now, but I wouldn’t mind adding another Submariner. Specifically the blue dial, two-tone Sub. I also have my eye on a couple watches from Nomos (believe it or not).

Interesting that you are looking at Nomos watches. I started my mechanical watch collections/hobby with a Nomos-such great watches for the money. I’d love to add a Weltzeit one day too.

No love for an ALS?

ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 06:08 PM   #7
Krash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikincooper View Post
Interesting that you are looking at Nomos watches. I started my mechanical watch collections/hobby with a Nomos-such great watches for the money. I’d love to add a Weltzeit one day too.

No love for an ALS?

I’m interested in the Ahoi and Autobahn models, which are not the more traditional Nomos watches. They just seem like the perfect watches for my “retired” lifestyle here in Florida. Of course, so is the bluesy, and the last thing I need is another watch, but those are what I have in mind.

I love ALS, especially the 1815 up/down, but honestly, that’s just too formal for me at this point.

Old 15 August 2024, 06:15 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honuswagner13 View Post
Three years ago, I started my Rolex watch collection journey, and obtained the blue dial Skydweller on oyster. I then was able to add the 60th anniversary rose gold olive Daydate.

The next three models I’m after is a Pepsi GMT, a 41mm steel Sub Date and either a Panda or Platinum Daytona.

These are basically the models that I enjoy the most. If you were to look at my collection at that point, what have other board members done, after you obtained your most favorite pieces? Jump to another brand?
Building the most well rounded collection, surely that's the watches you want that's the only opinion that matters.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 06:23 PM   #9
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
I’m interested in the Ahoi and Autobahn models, which are not the more traditional Nomos watches. They just seem like the perfect watches for my “retired” lifestyle here in Florida. Of course, so is the bluesy, and the last thing I need is another watch, but those are what I have in mind.

I love ALS, especially the 1815 up/down, but honestly, that’s just too formal for me at this point.

I tried the 1815 up/down on this past couple of weeks and it’s now high up on my wish list. Certainly it’s a formal watch but I’d be wearing it casually, as that’s “my style”.

Sorry to side track your thread OP, but to me a well rounded collection is 1 watch from each brand and pieces to suit different functions. That said you should only ever buy what you love and there are people out there who love and build collections around single models (e.g. Submariner collections) so no right or wrong here

ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 06:36 PM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I just buy watches I like if I can afford them. Numbers wise Rolex are in the minority, brand wise I have more Rolex watches than other brands. I'm not interested in what other people think about the composition of my collection. I'm happy with where my money went and the enjoyment I get out of owning and wearing them. I'm never done, there's always another one to get. It needn't be expensive. A common collector's illness or maybe it's just me?
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 06:44 PM   #11
Krash

Quote:
I tried the 1815 up/down on this past couple of weeks and it’s now high up on my wish list. Certainly it’s a formal watch but I’d be wearing it casually, as that’s “my style”.

Sorry to side track your thread OP, but to me a well rounded collection is 1 watch from each brand and pieces to suit different functions. That said you should only ever buy what you love and there are people out there who love and build collections around single models (e.g. Submariner collections) so no right or wrong here

That’s gorgeous. If I had a more metropolitan lifestyle (i.e., New York or London), that would perhaps be my favorite watch.

But I literally sit by the pool all day for 12 months a year. I’m always in the water. That’s why I have a couple divers. My GMT and DJ41 also have a lot of water resistance.

When we walk around town, I prefer something on a bracelet. I generally don’t like leather straps in warm, humid weather. I do wear my Speedmaster on a leather strap, but it doesn’t get as much wrist time as my other watches because of this.

Old 15 August 2024, 07:16 PM   #12
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I didn’t really have a plan with a view to collecting. In fact with 3 “nicer” watches , I don’t really consider it a collection. I’m not sure why that is.

Anyway, over the years I’ve tried quite a few different Rolex, Panerai and a few Omegas.

What seems to resonate with me most, are watches that have a bit of historical significance or an interesting backstory. I guess that’s why I landed on: 321, BLRO and the Submariner.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 07:33 PM   #13
TikTok
"TRF" Member

I don't care who makes them. If I like them then I’ll buy.
Ok, I have a couple more Rolex than anything else but they’re not the be all and end all. There’s plenty out there to salivate over.
Old 15 August 2024, 07:33 PM   #14
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I just buy watches I like if I can afford them. Numbers wise Rolex are in the minority, brand wise I have more Rolex watches than other brands. I'm not interested in what other people think about the composition of my collection. I'm happy with where my money went and the enjoyment I get out of owning and wearing them. I'm never done, there's always another one to get. It needn't be expensive. A common collector's illness or maybe it's just me?
I'll subscribe to this view, it's all about buying watches I like and want to wear and enjoy wearing not ticking boxes.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 07:49 PM   #15
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I never had a plan or goal for my collection.
Tastes change over the years.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 09:23 PM   #16
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice collection. I would go where you have a passion for the watch or watches and don't overthink it. Buy and keep what you wear.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 10:00 PM   #17
ap1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Common, fellow addict here
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 10:23 PM   #18
JSol1

So far I’ve ended up with the Rolexes I’ve always wanted for my collection which sits at 6. I’ve been considering adding an Explorer 36 for a while.

Since I’m always looking and can’t seem to get enough of all things watches I purchased my first Patek in May and now I’m looking for something to replace the Casio I use for exercise and wearing when I travel to certain places (I’m probably the only person on the planet isn’t a big fan)…enjoy the journey!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 10:25 PM   #19
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Common, fellow addict here
Comforting and not surprising
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 11:13 PM   #20
misochew
"TRF" Member

Watch: n+1
Quote:

Take a look at the VC FiftySix pieces. High Horology in a sporty dress configuration. Can go from T-shirt & shorts during the day to sport coat and slacks for dinner.
misochew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 11:16 PM   #21
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
For me….it’s well rounded if I have a watch for….any occasion/function/activity that comes up, any mood I’m in, or being appropriate for the clothes I’m wearing.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2024, 12:07 AM   #22
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Honestly, that is not a well rounded collection, it's a collection of sports Rolex watches, and mainly hyped ones at that.

A well rounded collection should include some other brands at the very least. Have a look at Patek, VC or GP, or perhaps a ALS if you want a really special piece.
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2024, 12:20 AM   #23
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Stick with Rolex, unless you are moving into a much higher price segment and more of an independent small-scale manufacture (e.g. AP, PP, or something like a Laurent Ferrier or FPJ).

I find it hard to look at the other "big" retail brands. Despite mass production, I feel like Rolex has really nailed the overall wearing experience and has the perfect balance of case design and bracelet. Every watch Rolex makes is just about perfect in some way, for some person. They all exude class and quality, even if pumped out to the tune of 1 million per year. The design ethos, combined with unbeatable reliability and accurate time-keeping, make Rolex a fantastic brand for me. Add on top of that the brand's prestige, desirability, and value retention, and you have a no-brainer. For the money, you are getting tremendous bang for your buck.

Anything else in this mid-range retail price category, just does nothing for me. Among competing retail brands (e.g. Omega the "available alternative" brand, or Cartier, JLC, IWC, Zenith etc.) those just simply fall short. I'll add that the ONLY other brand I like in this mid price-segment is Tudor, and there are certain Tudor models that I would consider placing into my collection: BB58, BB58 GMT, Pelagos 39.

Stepping up from here, personally, I would look at something like a Chopard LUC, Vacheron, or maybe ALS, something a little different and a little more special.

Agree with so many things said here
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2024, 01:19 AM   #24
Mystro

A well-rounded collection for any one person could only be two watches. There’s no right or wrong answer here. Throw price tags and brands away and buy watches that YOU want to wear. It’s that simple.
Old 16 August 2024, 02:42 AM   #25
metallic
"TRF" Member

Agree it’s all uniquely personal. I buy with the intent of keeping forever but the only watch that I have kept >5 years in is my Sub no date. That is why value retention carries some weight with me. I cannot be certain I will keep a particular watch.

I am looking to get something more high end though I have no idea what to get. I find a lot of PP kind of boring. Perhaps a VC, Chopatd LUC, Lange, or Rolex PM.

The chase never really ends.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2024, 02:53 AM   #26
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

Super nice watch. You can dress it up or down. Goes anywhere with anything, but swimming, I guess.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote