The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 August 2024, 06:10 PM   #1
mampy9
"TRF" Member

Hollow end link bracelet (16570) for small wrists?

Hello! I am considering a 16570 Explorer 2 but have 6 inch wrists. Ive been able to try one on the SEL/male endlink bracelet and the fit feels borderline.

Ive read about how Rolex's hollow endlink bracelets help make the watch wear smaller. Does anyone have photos that can illustrate the difference in fit of a hollow vs solid endlink Rolex bracelet (for 16570 or similar reference) for a small wrist?

Thanks in advance!
mampy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 10:10 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not sure what you mean by making the watch wear smaller, a 16570 is going to look huge on a 6" wrist regardless of bracelet.

But if you're determined to wear that watch on an oyster bracelet, first of all, I'd suggest a non-fliplock bracelet, an example would be a 78360. Even so, I think you would have to arrange for the removal of permanent links.

You might also consider a 36mm reference, I think it would be more proportional to your wrist. But you will still have a problem with the bracelet.
Old 29 August 2024, 12:03 AM   #3
mampy9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by making the watch wear smaller, a 16570 is going to look huge on a 6" wrist regardless of bracelet.

But if you're determined to wear that watch on an oyster bracelet, first of all, I'd suggest a non-fliplock bracelet, an example would be a 78360. Even so, I think you would have to arrange for the removal of permanent links.

You might also consider a 36mm reference, I think it would be more proportional to your wrist. But you will still have a problem with the bracelet.
I’m referring to the male endlinks on an SEL bracelet effectively extending the lug to lug vs. the HEL which has female endlinks. I’m not sure whether that makes enough of a difference in actual wearability, thus my question.

Does the non-fliplock bracelet tend to wear smaller or just has a more comfortable fit with smaller wrists? I’ve been able to get a comfortable fit with the SEL + fliplock bracelet on my 114270 by flipping the clasp around.

Totally take your point on 36mm being a sweet spot - most of my collection is at 36mm including a DJ, Explorer, and the Tudor sub - but I find the polar Explorer 2 design really cool and I’m trying to see whether I can get comfortable with how that wears.
Old 29 August 2024, 02:45 AM   #4
Exceeder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
The hollow end links will allow the bracelet to begin its curve around the wrist a tiny bit sooner then a SEL and weighs less.

A 78360 with 501B end links might be good.

Last edited by Exceeder; 29 August 2024 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: Updated with info
Exceeder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 03:27 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

The fliplock clasp is longer than the non-fliplock, which can be pretty significant on a small wrist.
Old 29 August 2024, 03:41 AM   #6
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
I have a 6.0 inch wrist as well and my 16570 has the solid end links. I flipped the bracelet around and it fits well. I would agree that a hollow end link bracelet would fit a little bit better because it bends around the wrist slightly better but both work fine. I find that if I flip the bracelet around, include one extra link, then size it down on the clasp that works best for me. BTW, I heard the white 16570s wear larger than the black. Mine is black.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 07:52 AM   #7
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
6 inches isn't the whole story. It matters more what the shape of your wrist is. Flat and you can likely pull it off. More rounded and I'd say go for a non-sel bracelet.
Old 30 August 2024, 07:46 AM   #8
R44
"TRF" Member

Not sure where you are in the the UK but I own both versions and if you are close to me you are welcome to try them on (I’m near Windsor). I think the non SEL version wears a fair bit smaller. My Explorer II’s are a black face 2001 SEL and a white face 1991 T25.
R44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 02:26 AM   #9
mampy9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk552502 View Post
I have a 6.0 inch wrist as well and my 16570 has the solid end links. I flipped the bracelet around and it fits well. I would agree that a hollow end link bracelet would fit a little bit better because it bends around the wrist slightly better but both work fine. I find that if I flip the bracelet around, include one extra link, then size it down on the clasp that works best for me. BTW, I heard the white 16570s wear larger than the black. Mine is black.
Thank you for the input! I’ve also had success flipping the bracelet on my 114270 to get a more comfortable fit. Also a good point around dial color having an impact on how the watch wears visually - although if I were to pull the trigger on the 16570 I am pretty much set on the polar dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
6 inches isn't the whole story. It matters more what the shape of your wrist is. Flat and you can likely pull it off. More rounded and I'd say go for a non-sel bracelet.
Point taken around differences in wrist shape. The obvious answer is I should really try the watch on to make a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R44 View Post
Not sure where you are in the the UK but I own both versions and if you are close to me you are welcome to try them on (I’m near Windsor). I think the non SEL version wears a fair bit smaller. My Explorer II’s are a black face 2001 SEL and a white face 1991 T25.
Thank you for offering! I have however moved back to the US. Do you feel that the non SEL version is significantly lower quality / more rattly than the SEL bracelet? Ive had a good experience with the SEL bracelet on the 114270 (78690 IIRC) but have not had the chance to try on a non SEL.
Old 31 August 2024, 06:46 PM   #10
XavierM
"TRF" Member

To get a perfect fit on these bracelets, another option is to have a permanent link removed on the 6 o clock side. If done properly, the removed link is not damaged.
Old 2 September 2024, 06:04 AM   #11
R44
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you for offering! I have however moved back to the US. Do you feel that the non SEL version is significantly lower quality / more rattly than the SEL bracelet? Ive had a good experience with the SEL bracelet on the 114270 (78690 IIRC) but have not had the chance to try on a non SEL.

No … never had problem with the non SEL bracelets if they are properly set up / adjusted. I had one that rattled a bit and Rolex UK tweaked it for me (can’t remember if it was St James or Kent HQ) and it’s been solid ever since. I’ve got a number of non SEL bracelets in my collection including a 1680 Red, 1680 White, 16750 Matte Dial, 1665 etc. I think if you want the watch to wear a bit smaller a non SEL would be a good solution. In many ways non SEL bracelets are more classic / timeless than SEL.
R44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 11:43 AM   #12
mampy9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No … never had problem with the non SEL bracelets if they are properly set up / adjusted. I had one that rattled a bit and Rolex UK tweaked it for me (can’t remember if it was St James or Kent HQ) and it’s been solid ever since. I’ve got a number of non SEL bracelets in my collection including a 1680 Red, 1680 White, 16750 Matte Dial, 1665 etc. I think if you want the watch to wear a bit smaller a non SEL would be a good solution. In many ways non SEL bracelets are more classic / timeless than SEL.
Thank you. Great to hear that the common criticism around rattling can be resolved with proper adjustments. I really need to figure out a way to try this watch ont he non SEL bracelet.