The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 29 September 2009, 03:39 AM   #1
dgill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 1655
Speedmaster: Auto or Professional

Any thoughts on benefits between these two? Longevity, ruggedness, value over time? Thanks in advance....
BR
D.
dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 03:49 AM   #2
PhilM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
It has to be the Pro for me, the Auto is just to small for me and the dial doesn't look as tidy.

Also the resale vaule of the Pro is better if you ever come to sell it.
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 04:27 AM   #3
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
pro all the way.
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 04:55 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I would have to say Professional, as well. The actual model certified for space is THE speedmaster in my books. Sure, the rest are great and would be nice to own but again, the NASA stuff is
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 05:56 AM   #5
dukejjz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I would have to say Professional, as well. The actual model certified for space is THE speedmaster in my books. Sure, the rest are great and would be nice to own but again, the NASA stuff is
x2... Speedy Pro!!!!!
dukejjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 06:38 AM   #6
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgill View Post
Any thoughts on benefits between these two? Longevity, ruggedness, value over time? Thanks in advance....
BR
D.
after having both the Pro (3570.50) and an auto (Date version), I find both great watches. But I think the date version is more rugged for daily abuse because of it crystal and its 40mm case.

I have managed to scratch the crystal on the Pro on day one, but OMG it is an awesome piece.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 06:45 AM   #7
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
i'd rather have the pro. this might be helpful:http://www.chronomaddox.com/speedy_reduced.html
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 07:18 AM   #8
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
I have a speedmaster auto racing, and I love it. But out of your two choices I would go pro.

And my brother's:
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Evergreen

Watch: Blancpain FF norad
I had the " reduced " Automatic for a short time. While it was nice, it just did not have the same excitment as the moon watch. The good part was I found it for around 900. which is quite affordable for such a watch.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 08:43 AM   #10
RW16610
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
after having both the Pro (3570.50) and an auto (Date version), I find both great watches. But I think the date version is more rugged for daily abuse because of it crystal and its 40mm case.

I have managed to scratch the crystal on the Pro on day one, but OMG it is an awesome piece.

That is a very good point about the crystal! Sapphire is much more pratical for every day use long term. To me the Professional woiuld be used but more so kept in my collection for the sake of having it. Personally I need the date window (for some reason), but my vote still goes for the Professional considering the watches i've already got for daily use
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 01:35 PM   #11
jmsrolls
Banned

I've owned a couple of dozen Speedmaster Professionals over the years together with Speedy dates, day-dates, and reduced.

IMO, for the serious collector, the Speedmaster Professional is the Speedmaster to own. (And furthermore, it has to be hesalite.)

My 45-year old Speedmaster Professional a classic and is indistinguishable from a new 3570.50 in the jeweler's display case (at least to the untrained eye). As for ruggedness, it is still the only watch to survive NASA testing. My Speedy is still running strong and keeping time within COSC specs. Hopefully, one of my great-grandsons will wear it on the moon or Mars someday.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 01:57 PM   #12
MarJnK

Watch: Deepsea
Easy... Pro. Amazing movement, lots of history, almost any watchmaker can service it, bulletproof. Oh, and the movement is beautiful!
MarJnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 03:52 PM   #13
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post

My 45-year old Speedmaster Professional a classic and is indistinguishable from a new 3570.50 in the jeweler's display case (at least to the untrained eye). As for ruggedness, it is still the only watch to survive NASA testing. My Speedy is still running strong and keeping time within COSC specs. Hopefully, one of my great-grandsons will wear it on the moon or Mars someday.

Fr. John†
that would be amazing..
if in 30 or 40 years I have the chance to go the moon or space, I will most certainly bring the Speedy
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 04:25 PM   #14
MarJnK

Watch: Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by children View Post
that would be amazing..
if in 30 or 40 years I have the chance to go the moon or space, I will most certainly bring the Speedy
30-40 years? Nah, Richard Branson wants to offer this in a few years.
MarJnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 04:39 PM   #15
dgill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 1655
Well, that answers that question! Thank you gentleman.
dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2009, 10:56 AM   #16
wdrazek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Pro if I didn't have to wind it every day. It is iconic and a great design. If the Pro was made as an automatic with a sapphire crystal I would seriously look at it. But forcing the Pro design to be a manual wind with hesalite crystal makes it a non-starter for me.
wdrazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 07:44 AM   #17
asindhidude

Watch: SS Sub ND - 14060M
Where is a good place to pick up used Speedmasters? I have been looking around on the FS section here, but haven't had much luck.
asindhidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2009, 08:57 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
The Speedy Pro has developed cult status, so it's the one to have in that series..

If you just want a great looking, low effort, Speedy, then the Auto is for you... The majority of folks who see it on your wrist will not know the difference.........
Old 8 October 2009, 08:33 AM   #19
haakon59
"TRF" Member

The "Pro" is the moonwatch, so in addition to having the chronograph function, you also own a piece of space history. Most people don't find needing to wind the watch a disadvantage after you are used to it.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 08:45 AM   #20
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
I've owned a couple of dozen Speedmaster Professionals over the years together with Speedy dates, day-dates, and reduced.

IMO, for the serious collector, the Speedmaster Professional is the Speedmaster to own. (And furthermore, it has to be hesalite.)

Fr. John†
Interesting. According to the blog linked at the bottom of this page (Jake's Rolex Watch Blog), there's no evidence that there ever was NASA testing to determine which watch went to the moon. In fact, it's indicated there that the reason Omega was chosen in the first place had to do with a back-room deal involving copious amounts of moola, not some rigorous testing.

There's plenty of evidence, however, that Rolex GMT-Masters were worn to the moon (Jack Swigert, for instance, on Apollo 13), in spite of the Speedy being the "official" watch of NASA. Being pilots, many astronauts in fact preferred the Rolex GMT's due to the multi time zone function.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 09:13 AM   #21
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Pro. From here on earth to the moon!
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 08:06 PM   #22
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Interesting. According to the blog linked at the bottom of this page (Jake's Rolex Watch Blog), there's no evidence that there ever was NASA testing to determine which watch went to the moon. In fact, it's indicated there that the reason Omega was chosen in the first place had to do with a back-room deal involving copious amounts of moola, not some rigorous testing.

There's plenty of evidence, however, that Rolex GMT-Masters were worn to the moon (Jack Swigert, for instance, on Apollo 13), in spite of the Speedy being the "official" watch of NASA. Being pilots, many astronauts in fact preferred the Rolex GMT's due to the multi time zone function.
Yikes! I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st when I read this post.

A little info in this regard: The Moon Watch: A History of the Omega Speedmaster Professional

For more info, you are free to research official NASA records. The history of the Speedmaster in space and on the moon is well documented - no speculation, just fact.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 05:09 AM   #23
M4tt
"TRF" Member

Fr John is quite correct, as ever on matters Speedmaster.

I faintly remember a film which documented Swigert's failure to make it to the Moon in Apollo 13. Bulova made it (in the instrumentation), Waltham made it (on Scott's wrist), Omega made it.

However, even if the oxygen tank hadn't exploded, Swigert would never have made it to the surface of the Moon. Like Collins before him, he was the Command Module pilot and, as such would have never got to the surface of the Moon.
M4tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 05:41 AM   #24
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Yikes! I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st when I read this post.

A little info in this regard: The Moon Watch: A History of the Omega Speedmaster Professional

For more info, you are free to research official NASA records. The history of the Speedmaster in space and on the moon is well documented - no speculation, just fact.

Fr. John†
Yeah, that's funny. I didn't say the Speedy did not make it to the moon, I merely referenced Jake's blog. Did you read it?
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 07:58 AM   #25
FlyPenFly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The best I can do at this point is share both sides of the coin with you. There are many accounts about how Omega was chosen as the Official Moon Watch. These account suggest there was a test process, but I have seen zero evidence to corroborate this account.

I have also heard that Deke Slayton or somebody at NASA held an invisible auction that approached the major watch manufactures to make them the Official NASA watch. Apparently Rolex was approached and ironically refused to participate in the auction!!!

Rolex argued they made the best watch and that they refused to pay to be the official watch since the watch chosen should be based on the merit of the watch and they knew they had the best watch.

As the story goes, Omega shrewdly jumped in and bought the title in some kind of back room envelope-filled-with-hundred-dollar bills deal. (This was perhaps the first time Omega did this but not the last. Of course they tried to step in and replace Rolex as the James Bond watch).

I can't prove this because I was not there. I can only share my research findings with you. I will say I think that Rolex made a huge mistake that would probably be their greatest blunder in history by not becoming the official NASA space watch.
I have no proof to the contrary but Jake's Watch Blog received several hundred dollar bills from NAMBLA. There are rumors from the Internet this is true. I don't have proof either way that Jake's watch blog is a key member of NAMBLA with a lot of "back room" dealings..
FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 08:04 AM   #26
yurigia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by children View Post
pro all the way.
Pro surely..!!
yurigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 08:32 AM   #27
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
I have no proof to the contrary but Jake's Watch Blog received several hundred dollar bills from NAMBLA. There are rumors from the Internet this is true. I don't have proof either way that Jake's watch blog is a key member of NAMBLA with a lot of "back room" dealings..
Just wondering...what exactly is the point of this post?
Old 9 October 2009, 09:37 AM   #28
Red Herring
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
Good point. I have read some of Jake's stuff. Very biased to say the least, and "opinion" at best. He's drunk on Rolex Kool-Aid most of the time, and is not taken seriously by those who know watches. However, if you want to know about how Rolex is the very bestest watch in the whole wide world, then read his blog.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 09:42 AM   #29
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Good point. I have read some of Jake's stuff. Very biased to say the least, and "opinion" at best. He's drunk on Rolex Kool-Aid most of the time, and is not taken seriously by those who know watches. However, if you want to know about how Rolex is the very bestest watch in the whole wide world, then read his blog.
Really, his blogs is one of my favorites. He spends alot of time writing for it, and he does alot of research.
Old 9 October 2009, 09:47 AM   #30
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
i'll throw this out there: the speedy pro is currently the only watch certified by nasa for eva in space... true or false?
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote