The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 August 2024, 12:26 PM   #1
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Got back from Vegas, felt almost a visceral disgust at how many Rolexes I saw

This is TRF, I've been on this forum a while, I've owned basically every Rolex sports model at one point or another, my first "grail" was a Sub, I still own a Sub. Rolex has been my favorite brand since I seriously got into watches.

But I just had to vent that this past weekend was probably the first time I got seriously turned off by the brand.

Took a weekend trip to Vegas, first time in over 5 years I've gone during the summer. Everyone is wearing short sleeves, tons of watches. And my goodness. I am not exaggerating these numbers. At least 20 Rolex for any other brand of watch (including Apple Watches). I even played a game where I sat down and watched people pass by me and counted how many consecutive people were wearing a Rolex (it was 6).

I think I saw literally every single model.

I'm not one of those ironic non-conformist people. I still love Rolex. But man, I came away with just a newfound appreciation for non-Rolex watches if for no other reason than how rare they are. The only multiples I saw of the same non-Rolex luxury watch that I recall were from 3 brands. AP (RO), Patek (Nautilus), and Omega (Seamaster and Speedmaster). And overall I still saw very few of these compared to Rolex.

I personally wore my new Tudor BB58 GMT. And I'll be honest, in the past when I've taken trips like this and wasn't wearing a Rolex and saw some in the wild, I'd kind of miss my own and wish I wore it. Completely opposite experience this time. And ironically I got more compliments on the Tudor than I ever have in Vegas or elsewhere wearing a Rolex, so go figure.

In terms of the Rolex world, the only model I don't think I saw a single time was the Explorer I. And while I did see a small number of 16570s, I did not see a single 6-digit Exp II. So in terms of a modern Rolex that has all the goods but would be quite rare to see out in the wild, I've started really yearning for a white dial 226570.

But overall, I think I'm really going to start focusing my attention on non-Rolex going forward.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 12:36 PM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex makes around 1 million watches a year to patek’s 60k. Literally tens of millions Rolex watches in circulation… not surprising they are seen a lot in vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 01:05 PM   #3
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
This is TRF, I've been on this forum a while, I've owned basically every Rolex sports model at one point or another, my first "grail" was a Sub, I still own a Sub. Rolex has been my favorite brand since I seriously got into watches.

But I just had to vent that this past weekend was probably the first time I got seriously turned off by the brand.

Took a weekend trip to Vegas, first time in over 5 years I've gone during the summer. Everyone is wearing short sleeves, tons of watches. And my goodness. I am not exaggerating these numbers. At least 20 Rolex for any other brand of watch (including Apple Watches). I even played a game where I sat down and watched people pass by me and counted how many consecutive people were wearing a Rolex (it was 6).

I'm not one of those ironic non-conformist people. I still love Rolex. But man, I came away with just a newfound appreciation for non-Rolex watches if for no other reason than how rare they are. The only multiples I saw of the same non-Rolex luxury watch that I recall were from 3 brands. AP (RO), Patek (Nautilus), and Omega (Seamaster and Speedmaster). And overall I still saw very few of these compared to Rolex.

I personally wore my new Tudor BB58 GMT. And I'll be honest, in the past when I've taken trips like this and wasn't wearing a Rolex and saw some in the wild, I'd kind of miss my own and wish I wore it. Completely opposite experience this time. And ironically I got more compliments on the Tudor than I ever have in Vegas or elsewhere wearing a Rolex, so go figure.

In terms of the Rolex world, the only model I don't think I saw a single time was the Explorer I. And while I did see a small number of 16570s, I did not see a single 6-digit Exp II. So in terms of a modern Rolex that has all the goods but would be quite rare to see out in the wild, I've started really yearning for a white dial 226570.

But overall, I think I'm really going to start focusing my attention on non-Rolex going forward.
Come to NYC. Every tourist has a Rolex, yet when you see your fellow local New Yorkers it’s when it gets interesting. Unfortunately I’ve been in TRF for over 14 years now, I’m pretty turned off by Rolex. Like you I’m a contrarian, so Rolex doesn’t do it for me anymore.
Old 29 August 2024, 01:10 PM   #4
Lukla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet/ALS/Patek
Maybe Vegas is an exceptional place for Rolex (and luxury/highend watches in general). Having said that I believe you in that we see whole lot more Rolexes these days. I am with you in that I started with Rolex but have been exploring other brands in the last 5 years or so.

I still enjoy wearing Rolex as a casual and rugged purpose watch but wear Breguet, Patek and Lange for more special occasions.
Lukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 01:48 PM   #5
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Rolex makes around 1 million watches a year to patek’s 60k. Literally tens of millions Rolex watches in circulation… not surprising they are seen a lot in vegas.

Yea, but you could say almost the same about Omega. But I see a ton of more Rolexes.
Old 29 August 2024, 01:55 PM   #6
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukla View Post
Maybe Vegas is an exceptional place for Rolex (and luxury/highend watches in general). Having said that I believe you in that we see whole lot more Rolexes these days. I am with you in that I started with Rolex but have been exploring other brands in the last 5 years or so.

I still enjoy wearing Rolex as a casual and rugged purpose watch but wear Breguet, Patek and Lange for more special occasions.
Yes, the time/place (this weekend, Las Vegas) was exceptional in the sense that I've never seen even close to that number of Rolexes, much less luxury watches.

Cartier and Omega are the number 2 and 3 Swiss watch companies by revenue after Rolex. Yet I genuinely saw more solid gold Daytonas than I did steel Santos or Speedmaster or even Apple Watches. Not exaggerating. No need to even get into the # of Subs or GMTs I saw.

Even going into the ADs was just not as exciting, when I literally see all those watches on people's wrists just walking around.

OTOH Vegas is awesome for watch shopping. The Palazzo has an AD that has a string of "boutiques" lined up, notable Lange and Vacheron side by side. That was fun.
Old 29 August 2024, 06:43 PM   #7
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Yeah, I find myself never wearing my Pepsi or my Speedy... always opting for one of my independents. I'm actually considering getting rid of both to get something more unique. They just don't feel that special anymore. But to each his own.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 07:13 PM   #8
febie111
"TRF" Member

Need I say more.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1767.jpeg (74.7 KB, 2960 views)
febie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 07:21 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Did you have fun otherwise?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 07:30 PM   #10
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I think this is pretty true. I’ve still never seen anyone else wearing a 226570 black or white dial in real life since I bought mine nearly 2 years ago.

Should I be happy my watch is still unusual to see or sad that so few others appreciate them?!
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 07:35 PM   #11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post

100%, last time I was in Vegas I saw a bunch of Rolex's in the pawnshops there too. Lots of money won and lost in Sin City, so not surprised...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 07:38 PM   #12
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
It’s all relative I suppose. Where I live (just outside of the GTA) I rarely see a Rolex or any nice watch for that matter. Not that it’s not an affluent area, but I just don’t see them

Anyway, I’m sort of the opposite … when I travel and see a lot of folks wearing nice watches I find it interesting
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 08:04 PM   #13
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
It wouldn't put me off.
No surprise in Vegas or any highly populated or touristy area.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 08:29 PM   #14
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
I've had similar observations. Been fortunate to have traveled and lived on three different continents, with about 90 countries visited under my belt. One of the many global consistencies of these travels has been Rolex. You will find Rolex watches everywhere. Much more than any other brand. Most extreme cases have been Las Vegas and Dubai.

Similar to your sentiment, Rolex has lost it's allure in the last few years. Wearing my BLRO just isn't the same anymore. Almost like I'm conforming to this hyper-consumerism dealer scarcity nonsense even though Rolex is actually pumping these out like hotcakes. It's been gamified; no longer totally about the watches. It's about status to many, which is a huge turn off.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 08:54 PM   #15
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
This does not bother me. You were visiting the nightlife capital of the world, where everyone brings their best, whether its their clothing, jewelry or watches. Otherwise, in my travels, yes, you see Rolex, but nothing like a place of Vegas culture. So, I would not read into this too much. Besides, we are all humans and we all like nice shiny things.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:09 PM   #16
Cru Jones

Personally, I do not define my enjoyment of my watches based on what others choose to wear….
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:12 PM   #17
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by febie111 View Post
Need I say more.

I’m still kicking myself for not getting the barakuda at MSRP when I had the chance. I went for a 116600 instead….
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:12 PM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Seeing other people wearing Rolex doesn't fill me with an almost visceral disgust, so I'll stick with what I like and everyone else can please themselves.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:17 PM   #19
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post

You buy Rolexes to feel special and different, then you went to a city KNOWN for being visited by a lot of people with money and saw a lot of Rolexes... and now you no longer feel special or different? You say you now feel... disgust? Very interesting descriptor to use, what exactly are you 'disgusted' at?

But anyway, congrats, you are clearly very insecure.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:18 PM   #20
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I think if you care what other people have on, or are wearing your watches for other people (look at me, I have a Rolex, I'm special), you wear this brand for the wrong reasons. I love models with long lineages. That's part of the appeal for me when it comes to Submariners, Speedmasters, Gibson Les Pauls, HD Sportsters. I don't care if there's a billion others out there like mine. They are successful for a reason.
Tim Plains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:23 PM   #21
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Vegas and some other locations would be outliers in seeing luxury goods and especially Rolex. In most places you might see a few but not consistently. I enjoy looking at watches, both at retailers and on the wrists of others but it does not impact my like or dislike of a brand especially a brand that I own and have personal experience with. I own Toyota/Lexus products and see them everywhere but it does not change the fact that it is a great brand and I have had wonderful ownership experiences with them over the years. Take a step back and figure out why this triggered you. You could have just as easily been impressed at the great watches on peoples wrists and enjoyed it all. When you figure that out then you might better understand what is motivating your thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:28 PM   #22
Blofeldt
"TRF" Member

Purely from an observational and anecdotal point of view, I see very few people wearing a Rolex in London these days. Possibly due to the reported increase in Rolex 'rippers'. Having been to Vegas many times, It is a watch spotters paradise!
Blofeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:40 PM   #23
Kingcobb
"TRF" Member

Just live in a rural small town like me(like less then 10k in the whole county) you'll never see someone else wearing a rolex. Or you can just dope paying attention to what others are wearing. I went to NYC in June and I can't remember seeing a single rolex....mostly because I wasn't paying attention to what others are wearing.
Kingcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:41 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
If I was on holiday in say Vegas last thing I would be looking out for would
be what watches people were wearing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:47 PM   #25
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blofeldt View Post
Purely from an observational and anecdotal point of view, I see very few people wearing a Rolex in London these days. Possibly due to the reported increase in Rolex 'rippers'. Having been to Vegas many times, It is a watch spotters paradise!
Yeah, you have to be a little bit oblivious to openly wear a popular Rolex in London nowadays. Yes the police are starting to be more strict with watch theft, even going as far as to set up honeypots to catch offenders, but the risk is still comparatively high that once someone sees your watch while you are walking the streets that you are going to be followed and robbed. Spring and Summer are by far the highest risk times of year due to the wearing of tshirts. At least in colder weather you can hide them under pullovers and jackets.

Vegas is a sin city and gamblers paradise and has lots of rich and/or ostentatious people in one place at any given time, so no-one with common sense (clearly not the OP) should be surprised to see lots of Rolexes there.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 09:48 PM   #26
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
I didn’t buy Rolex to be exclusive. Also it’s Vegas!
Old 29 August 2024, 09:56 PM   #27
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Rolex is iconic for a reason. Did you buy yours for the wrong reason?
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 10:12 PM   #28
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Personally, I do not define my enjoyment of my watches based on what others choose to wear….

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 10:16 PM   #29
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
I was there 10 years ago, I had a Panerai (390).

Gerry62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 10:16 PM   #30
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I found Las Vegas disgusting for many reasons.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote