The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2024, 11:10 AM   #1
Rahul718
"TRF" Member

OP41 - chipped the surface. Rust or corrosion concerns?

Hi all,

I have a OP41 which was purchased new. Not sure how it managed to the steel managed to get chipped, but I’d like to get the group’s thoughts. Reference the two images below - I circled one of them to show the chip.

To be clear, I’m fine with scratches and even dings, and this particular chip doesn’t bother me. However, I’m curious if this predisposes the steel to corrosion or rust in the future. I know with cars, once the paint is chipped, it’s best to correct it right away to prevent rust. Is that the same with Rolex 904L?

Does Rolex use 904L steel all the way through or is it just surface level? Would rust be a concern in my situation? I would assume not, since refinishing actually removes material, and that surface would otherwise then be susceptible to rust. But just thought I’d ask here for confirmation.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4169.jpeg (225.3 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4168.jpeg (266.0 KB, 364 views)
Rahul718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 11:34 AM   #2
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Like all stainless steel alloys used in watches, the 904 is solid. This area is no more likely to be subject to corrosion than any other part of the watch. And corrosion would only take place if the watch was subject to strong corrosive chemicals or salt water over an extended period.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 12:22 PM   #3
daysky1
"TRF" Member

that looks more like an impact Ding and scrape more than anything.There are some watchmakers that can do what's called laser welding to fill in the ding I spoke with my ad about it and it's not exactly 904l steel that they use but they can fill it with a higher quality steel and then refinish that side or both sides and it will look as good as new.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 01:51 PM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I wouldn’t be overly concerned with it but as mentioned you can always have it laser welded if it annoys you
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 02:18 PM   #5
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Did you drop it or something? That seems like an odd place to take a blow while wearing it.
Anyway, your watch is safe, I wouldn’t mess with it.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 03:48 PM   #6
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysky1 View Post
that looks more like an impact Ding and scrape more than anything.There are some watchmakers that can do what's called laser welding to fill in the ding I spoke with my ad about it and it's not exactly 904l steel that they use but they can fill it with a higher quality steel and then refinish that side or both sides and it will look as good as new.
Another AD told me so and so. ADs don’t what an independent laser welder knows. They do use 904L steel, 18K yellow or white gold, or platinum. They match the metal
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 05:57 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Like all stainless steel alloys used in watches, the 904 is solid. This area is no more likely to be subject to corrosion than any other part of the watch. And corrosion would only take place if the watch was subject to strong corrosive chemicals or salt water over an extended period.
Exactly that.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 07:24 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
X3
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2024, 03:30 AM   #9
Rahul718
"TRF" Member

Thank you all!
Rahul718 is offline   Reply With Quote