The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM   #1
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
How did YOU choose Rolex and how did YOU pick the model(s) you own?

This sounded like a fun idea for a thread. It may have been done before, but I want to ask you two questions.

First: How did you come to choose ROLEX in your life?

Second: How did you pick the MODEL ROLEX(es) that you own?

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:07 AM   #2
Krash
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
How did YOU choose Rolex and how did YOU pick the model(s) you own?

I’d love to say I picked the models I like best. But I actually picked the models I liked best that were within my budget (i.e., no solid gold models). Nothing wrong with that though. I still have a Submariner and a GMT BLNR. Those are tough to beat. I’d choose them regardless. But it would be nice to have a DayDate instead of a Datejust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM   #3
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Watches are pure passion. I gravitated to Rolex because it always “spoke” to me. Choosing watches was easy - I had to like the aesthetic, and it had to work with my personality.
Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM   #4
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I picked Rolex so everyone would know I wasn't poor and I chose my model by asking TRF which one to buy. Easy!
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM   #5
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
My own reply

So, when I was a teenager in the 1980s I learned that the BEST watches in the world were made by Rolex. I became enamored with the brand, but was never in the position to buy one.

Fast Forward some 40 years later and I came into a little bit of money unexpectedly. My wife and I talked about it and she told me that it was totally my money and that I should do whatever I wanted with it. I asked if I could buy a Rolex and she said yes, buy whatever you want.

I searched and searched and sent her about 1500 photos of different Rolex models. Then I narrowed it down - I wanted a Bluesy or maybe a Daytona - I mean why not go for the big dog right?? Eventually, I cut it down and found a 116503 with a black dial and diamonds from DavidSW.

With my Daytona I decided that I still wanted a Submariner. It's an amazing watch and very versatile and just has a different cool factor than the Daytona. I found my 16610 with the black dial and bezel. I felt like it complimented my Daytona, adding another element to my own style. I mean either of these could be worn with shorts and a t-shirt or with a tux right?

Then I came to the realization that I have three kids, but only two Rolexes to leave between them. I found a 1014 Oyster Perpetual from about 1961 as my third. It had a bit of class about it and even a different character, perhaps more formal that either the Daytona or the Sub.

I wore those three watches in a rotation and loved them all.

But then it hit me that I really wanted a Datejust. I had this internal desire to have one. I started looking everywhere to find one only to find a sale ad here on the forum and the gentleman who was selling it lived across town. This made it one of the easiest transactions I could have ever had! It is a 1601 with a white dial from 1976, but has a 1977 inscription on the caseback.

Around this time, I was able to get my wife a brand new DJ31 with a green dial and a "galaxy" bezel - it has diamonds on the bezel every half hour. She doesn't wear it very often as she is afraid of damaging it.

Then I came across another Datejust 1601 with a champagne linen dial. I worked out a deal and got the 1601 and a 26mm Ladies Datejust with an onyx dial. I had both of them serviced locally and have worn the crap out of the 1601. I think my wife has worn that was twice. My two Datejusts are perfect for me, except when I have to reset that date after not wearing it for a week or so.

I suddenly fell in love with a Pepsi GMT. I used my resources and found one on Chrono24 that fit my criteria. Since I have had it, it's probably the watch I have worn most often. I love the look and since I am a Magnum PI fan (I wear Hawaiian shirts every day just because I can). It just fits.

Time passes and my next goal became a Day-Date. I kept looking at 1803s as I like the pie-pan dials (1601s had it). But one day I came across a 18238 with a black diamond dial. The price was reasonable, so I picked it up. It has its flaws - I am just going to continue to wear it and one day I will send it off and it will come back more perfect. With the double quick-set it makes it incredibly easy to catch up from days that I don't wear it.

So, that's it for my story. How about YOU?

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM   #6
marmite2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: Slim wrist master
Easy, wrist size. Back in 2002, tried on a few models (lots in stock back then) and ordered a 34mm 15200 Date, Oyster bracelet, smooth bezel and Salmon pink dial.

Why Rolex? I grew up in the open outcry Bond trading floors in the early 1990's and the older kids had Rolex's and that formed my passion. I clearly remember our young director sporting a solid gold Day date. In those days traders would sit back in there chairs, telephone in hand 12 hours a day, arms up and watches could clearly be seen.
It formed my passion for watches and today I own models I wanted.
marmite2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #7
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I got hooked on Rolex specifically when I was just a boy, seeing all those adventurous ads in National Geographic Magazine.

When I had saved enough money to buy my first, I knew I wanted a diver, just like the ones I’d seen in the magazine.

Fast forward to today, I’ve always been drawn to the professional models and I’ve owned a good number of them. I’ve landed on the Submariner 124060, BLRO 126710 and the Omega 311.30.40.30.01.001. To me these represent modern classics that have roots back to the very beginnings of each brand.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM   #8
Kingcobb
"TRF" Member

I have always been a watch nut. My parents gave me a swatch when I was like 8 back in the 80s and I wore that thing until it fell apart.

Had an ironman digital watch after that in junior high and early high school.

Purchased a Relic and a Fossil watch in high school that I wore through college and grad school.

At some point in college I saw my first Rolex Sub Bluesy and completely fell in love with it. Tried to buy one after I got my first job and was shocked by then early 2000s price tag.

Tried replacing it with an Invicta...well several invictas, then progressed to a Hamilton, then up to Squale.....Last year I dipped my toe into Omegas...then this spring I finally sold a bunch of stuff and traded a gun for my Daytona and I now stand at 4 rolexs. A sub, bluesy, hulk, and daytona. Trying to figure out how to get a 5513 currently without selling something else lol.
Kingcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM   #9
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I was a solid middleclass kid growing up and by high school had a diverse group of friends including some more wealthy than myself. My father got a beautiful gold Omega when he retired in ‘76(still have it), but I was enamoured by the Rolex watches I was starting to notice. They implied success and a sense of worldliness, remember the ads in National Geographic?
My first Rolex was a SS Datejust, blue dial with fluted bezel and jubilee, bought new from Corrigan’s Jewelers for $975 in 1984. Traded that for a tutone blue dial DJ two years later. In the early 90’s I sold it to buy a Breitling tutone Chronomat which had become the It watch in F1 at the time. Around 1997 I met my still favorite SA and bought Oris, more Breitling, and Panerai from him, his store sold Rolex but even then was stingy with the models I wanted.
In 2000 I returned to Rolex with the SS/Plat Yachmaster from another local AD and got on their list for a 16520 and yes they were hard to get then. About this time I met a guy through our mutual hobbies of motorcycles and mountainbikes whom I would now describe as an amateur reseller. Through his contacts as a sales director for an international company he had lots of contacts in the watch business. Over the next four years I sourced a white dial 16520 then 116520’s of both colors at MSRP along with another Yachtmaster.
Left Rolex again in 2008 then returned to new DSSD a few months later. Sold that in 2011 for more Panerai and Omegas.
I was still friends with the SA and had followed him around town to a couple of different stores. In 2017 he was finally in a position to get me the Rolex I wanted and I’ve now had a BLNR, BLRO, 116500 black, and OP41s in red and green from him. Still have all but the BLNR.
I’m a watch guy first, a Rolex guy second. Every watch I’ve ever owned (50+ easily) had something that attracted me, aesthetics over haute horology. I’ve had in addition to Rolex Breitling, Eberhard, Omega, Panerai, Oris, Ennebi, Hublot, Tudor, tons of microbrands, and lots of Seiko.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM   #10
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
1. Tried on my Dad's Datejust as a young boy and it felt really well built. Much better (and blingy) than my Seiko.

2. Bought an Explorer as I realised I prefer utilitarian looking watches and it's a good size / weight. Also the only 36mm sports Rolex and with no cyclops lens. My preferred daily.

Added a GMT LN for the style and complications. Initially, it was a stopgap to a GMT BLRO but I will keep all watches if / when the latter is allocated by the auth. dealer.
S.Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM   #11
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

100% “looks”.

Every watch I own, I bought because I thought it looked good.

There are lots of watches / some Rolexes that do not look good to me, even though they are very popular, and highly sought after.

I have turned down several offers from my AD, for watches that do not appeal to me.
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM   #12
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Always in the divers and everything seemed to be a compromise until I got the Sub.

Went five digit, no date, because of my wrist size, and knowing I would eventually add a polar.

I love the die way out of each and the black-and-white complement each other well… I’ve added a few others, I should’ve just stopped there!

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #13
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Always wanted a SS Sub Date. Didnt pull the trigger when the price was about $1800.

In '21 I got the idea to run out and get one. Went to the AD and got a rude awakening.

Only Rolex was a 16570 Black with full service.

Learned a lot on this Forum and made an offer a week later.

Love it as my one and done
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #14
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I didn't have a watch with a white dial or a watch with a GMT complication. The 216570 was so nice looking, so well built and so legible that it fitted my brief perfectly. The greater addiction came when I got my Polar and realised that all my other watches were variously somewhat imperfect in ways that my Rolex wasn't.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #15
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40 Blue (126622)
I wanted a Rolex as I wanted something that will stand the test of time over many generations. I know they're built to last. Not to show off.
Yacht master was the one which spoke to me as it stood out, sunburst blue dial, red contrasting seconds hand, can be worn on any occasion. Not a hype piece etc
whatisarolexym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #16
aboutime
"TRF" Member

Answering 1) and 2). While I liked watches, I had zero clue about the Rolex brand nor had walked into any AD back then. I received my explorer II as my wedding present on the day of our wedding from my wife - almost 19 yrs ago. She had done all the research was telling me about the history of Rolex and the explorer. I’m not sure if I would have picked the same watch if I was in a boutique with the full range to choose from (which back then almost all models were available for immediate asale), but it’s my most favourite piece in my collection for obvious reasons.
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #17
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I got hooked on Rolex specifically when I was just a boy, seeing all those adventurous ads in National Geographic Magazine.
Much the same for me. They appeared extremely well engineered which appealed to me. At that time I thought they were basically the best watches out there.

When I had saved enough money to buy my first, I knew I wanted a diver, just like the ones I’d seen James Bond wear in the movies

Jokes aside, the association stuck and my first bought was a sub date.

After a while I realised I bought it because it was a Sub Date, not because I really wanted a Sub Date, traded it for a Sea Dweller which I bought because that was the one I really wanted.

And then i experimented with different references, ending up where I am today (back with a 16600 Sea Dweller in my watch collection)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #18
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
Easy… Rolex since in 1966/67 my dad bought his first one. I chose what I like. They lit designs are just classic.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #19
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Much the same for me. They appeared extremely well engineered which appealed to me. At that time I thought they were basically the best watches out there.

When I had saved enough money to buy my first, I knew I wanted a diver, just like the ones I’d seen James Bond wear in the movies

Jokes aside, the association stuck and my first bought was a sub date.

After a while I realised I bought it because it was a Sub Date, not because I really wanted a Sub Date, traded it for a Sea Dweller which I bought because that was the one I really wanted.

And then i experimented with different references, ending up where I am today (back with a 16600 Sea Dweller in my watch collection)

That 16600 SD was my very first Scott. Man I sure wish I still had that watch.

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM   #20
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
My grandparents subscribed to National Geographic when I was in high school in the late fifties. I hung out at the local airport, KHEG in my hometown of Jacksonville, Florida, and Rolex ads featuring the 6542 and 1675 GMT-Master models with military and airline pilots in the National Geographics rang my bell. After I got my private pilot certificate through the Vandenberg AFB Aero Club in 1964, I bought a Bulova Accutron Astronaut which featured a 24 hour hand and a rotatable 24 hour bezel. It wasn't a GMT-Master, but I was seduced by the ±2 seconds per day spec. I still lusted after the Rolex, and once I separated from AF active duty and started making real money, I bought my first Rolex, a 1675. Years later it was replaced by a 16710 GMT II which is my current daily wearer. I love the jump hour hand feature and the sapphire crystal.

At 82, I recently donated my airplane to a local community college for use in their airframe and powerplant mechanics certification classes and reluctantly gave up flying after sixty years and thousands of hours without any accidents, incidents, or pilot deviations. I didn't want my slowing thinking processes to ruin a perfect record. I still use my GMT II for logging my ham radio transmissions in GMT, and still fly with pilot friends on $100 hamburger runs.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #21
Majin Buu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust now
Hi there !
I only buy (from Rolex, for example SS Sub Black Dial, Steel DJ Blue dial and a Daytona Black dial.) what I like and need. Pending a SS GMT with new case (if they ever decide to release it) and a Full Gold DD.

From this point on not much, since like you all know life becomes uncertain after 50 YO.
Maybe an Apple Watch make more sense than all the watches mentioned here ...

Cheers !

J.
Majin Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #22
Funkle
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Probably as a youngster was influenced by the magazine ad's. only not National Geographic.
Funkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #23
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I picked Rolex so everyone would know I wasn't poor and I chose my model by asking TRF which one to buy. Easy!
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #24
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

39mm Explorer MkII....I am a huge Bond fan and for my first Rolex I wanted Ian Flemings watch of choice, and also the actual original Bond watch from the source material:

Indeed Fleming alludes to this during his novel On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. In the novel, there is quite possibly the most famous Rolex scene of all time when Bond uses his watch on the expanding bracelet as a knuckle duster to despatch a guard in a daring escape.

As a result, the watch is shattered and when he considers what to replace it with he goes through the following thought process:

“Another Rolex? Probably. They were on the heavy side, but they worked. And at least you could see the time in the dark with those big phosphorous numerals”.

And I love the way the 3-6-9 looks and the dial of the 39mm which is somehow matte without beeing too matte

For my second Rolex...I went Grey and paid alot but I got the watch I couldnt get out of my head since the first time I tried it on....the 116500LN. Originally I was going to get the Black dial, but my wife preferred the white dial and stated that I needed a white dial since my Explorer (and my Ed White Speedy) were both black dials...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 697c53d5-eaa8-46ca-92a5-0f9d0ab6f07b.jpg (108.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg nice duo.jpg (80.2 KB, 25 views)
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #25
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Gold… shiny
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #26
Xenophon

Diver and I needed a UTD (Underwater Timing Device) hence the Submariner and later a Sea-Dweller
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #27
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
Bond watches lead me to Omega and then Rolex. From there a tortuous trail from OP36 Harley version to three gold, one two tone and another OP36 spanning about 15 or more watches.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #28
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
My grandfather got one when my dad was born. My dad got one when I was born and I got one when my son was born. As a kid, I remember sitting on my dad’s knee and running my finger over the cyclops wondering what it was.

Plus seeing them all over National Geographic magazines and on James Bond didn’t hurt either! Good marketing job Rolex.

I originally wanted a sub but have two dive watches already - the Explorer II appealed partly because I felt it looked more subtle than the sub, I liked the GMT feature as I travel a lot and I do like the “exploration” side of the Rolex history. And I like orange.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex... like the sun rising in the East, some things are inevitable (for timepiece enthusiasts).

The ND Sub because.... see above.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #30
Chefinspecteur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite2005 View Post
Easy, wrist size. Back in 2002, tried on a few models (lots in stock back then) and ordered a 34mm 15200 Date, Oyster bracelet, smooth bezel and Salmon pink dial.

Why Rolex? I grew up in the open outcry Bond trading floors in the early 1990's and the older kids had Rolex's and that formed my passion. I clearly remember our young director sporting a solid gold Day date. In those days traders would sit back in there chairs, telephone in hand 12 hours a day, arms up and watches could clearly be seen.
It formed my passion for watches and today I own models I wanted.
Exactly this!!! I grew up on Forex trading floors and every trader had a Rolex! I saw all the different models. And the day has come where I was in a position to buy one and I went to see an AD for the first time in my life and ordered a 16600. I waited around 1 year. That was back in 2001. More references followed: 116520, 116300, 126711CHNR, 136660. But I sold my 16600 early this year. The love has gone. But it was a very special 1st Rolex for me.
Chefinspecteur is offline   Reply With Quote