The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 06:50 AM   #1
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Warranty service options

As I understand it, for warranty service, I have three options:

1. Send watch directly to one of the two corporate RSCs

2. Hand deliver my watch to any AD and have them send to RSC

3. Hand deliver my watch to an AD watchmaker authorized to make warranty repairs

Seems like #3 has the most advantages: likely shorter wait times; actually get to talk to watchmaker face to face; quite possibly a more experienced watchmaker; nothing to get lost in transit.

Anything I'm missing in terms of options or advantages of 1 or 2 over 3?
Poodlopogus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 AM   #2
drrd
"TRF" Member

What is the watch reference and what is the fault?
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:08 AM   #3
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
What is the watch reference and what is the fault?
A 3230 movement running out of spec (as many seem to these days). Watch is about two years old, and seems to average around -4/d (slowly declining from there).

Originally thought I'd wait until closer to end of warranty, since that's not too bad, but I've heard that the repairs seem a little more permanent now.
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #4
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

It’s possible that 3 is out of the question because it’s warranty. Rolex may want to only do it themselves at a service center, even if it’s an authorized dealer with a watchmaker.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:22 AM   #5
drrd
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t be in a big hurry at -4s.

I think they’d be more likely to service it (vs just tweak the rate) if it was running a bit slower with a history of clear and consistent decline.

Assuming it’s not a DS Challenge, any of the three options seems fine but I’d go for RSC.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:16 AM   #6
502 to Right
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
It’s possible that 3 is out of the question because it’s warranty. Rolex may want to only do it themselves at a service center, even if it’s an authorized dealer with a watchmaker.
Not true. My 3235 Datejust was out of spec with regard to amplitude. My Rolex AD watchmaker serviced it under warranty in about 3 weeks. They are permitted to do warranty work.

I always prefer to have my AD watchmaker do the work as we can discuss everything ahead of time and I know exactly what he can and cannot do. There are some things he cannot work on though. For example, a 15XX movement watch needs to go to an RSC. But he can work on any 30XX, 31XX, or 32XX movement.
502 to Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:03 AM   #7
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
If you look on the Rolex website at the service center locator, it has a bunch (maybe 75% of all - in the US at least) that are authorized to act as service centers. That means their watchmakers have parts accounts, may perform warranty service, and can issue the service guarantee card (that allows the watch to be re-serviced within two years by any other RSC/authorized service center).
Old Today, 09:05 AM   #8
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
I wouldn’t be in a big hurry at -4s.

I think they’d be more likely to service it (vs just tweak the rate) if it was running a bit slower with a history of clear and consistent decline.

Assuming it’s not a DS Challenge, any of the three options seems fine but I’d go for RSC.
Yea, and if it weren't for the "known" issue, I'd feel exactly the same. Honestly, if they put it on a timegrapher and the amplitude is ok, then I'd probably just leave alone, or have them regulate).