The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2020, 12:51 PM   #61
exador
Banned

Just do what this Dude did - bulk buy from a Grey - instant gratification.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=692154
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:16 PM   #62
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
Save your time and money I am currently in the process of doing this and it has not been very successful. I'm not sure how the process works but I think I have spent $50k at least, constantly keep in touch with them, and still nothing. As opposed to my other AD who has offered me a White C Daytona, Blue skydweller, hulk, and the 126710blnr all in six months time if I bundle for them with a pm piece. Rather bundle and lose a couple thousand so I don't pay a crazy premium on the grey market then to lose thousands and be put on an imaginary list with the exact date of when you will get something you want.
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:37 PM   #63
whuang29
"TRF" Member

I think playing the AD game does work like you said it does take time. I wouldn't build a relationship with Ben Bridges given how they have a big network of chain stores and from my experience, they aren't willing to work with you.
whuang29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:53 PM   #64
mrcsatx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuang29 View Post
I think playing the AD game does work like you said it does take time. I wouldn't build a relationship with Ben Bridges given how they have a big network of chain stores and from my experience, they aren't willing to work with you.
Agreed. Go for the smaller AD. Or buy from both and see who starts to come through.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mrcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 04:02 PM   #65
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
So, I bought my first Rolex (preowned DJII 116334 blue,oyster,fluted). I love it and wear it everyday. Though, I want to a collection over time.

I want to build a relationship with my local AD. Closest AD is Ben Bridge in Thousand Oaks, CA.

How exactly do I build a relationship with them? I feel like If I chit chat then drop my wish list they will just laugh at me. If I go in there with my DJ they might ask where I bought it and when I say it's pre-owned I feel like they will look down at me. lol

I want to just say like I understand this will take years to build this collection but it's a journey for me and I'm willing to wait and get them piece by piece instead of buying pre-owned/grey market.

Here is the collection I want:

Submariner Black (116610LN)
Submariner Hulk (116610LV)
Daytona Panda (116500LN)
GMT Batman (126710BLNR)

Any advice/recommendations is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Buy a lot of jewelry and other watches. Once your reach the million $ mark you will be known as a "whale". Find out what sports he likes and send tickets to major events. If he plays golf, invite him to your club for a game from time to time. Find out when his birthday is and send him flowers and a hamper on that date. If you have a beach house or a chalet at a ski resort, lend them to him and his family. Make sure they are well stocked with food, drink and snacks before he arrives and have them serviced/cleaned every day. If you live near a major body of water, take him for a cruise in your boat.

You could of course just go gray and have all those watches tomorrow, but who wants to be cheap and easy?

If they ask you where you bought your DJ, then tell them it was a special gift from the Pope or be honest and just say it is none of their business.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 04:31 PM   #66
Rgd5000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klenboy View Post
I'm afraid what you're asking is a tall order. The fact that you didn't buy the DJ from them will already set you back. The only way you will be offered one of the pieces on your list is to have significant purchase history of jewelry and/or non-desirable Rolex (other brand watches).

Even for a sub now...??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rgd5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 04:32 PM   #67
Ihatecheese
Banned

These are not business relationships as others also wrote. It's simply a salesperson selling you products to hit their number. Unless your are passing brown envelopes then they're just going to sell at preference to repeat customers. Like selling any luxury jewellery or bags etc. Try to keep the rational head on when buying from the heart!
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 04:46 PM   #68
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshCashEmAll View Post
Save your time and money I am currently in the process of doing this and it has not been very successful. I'm not sure how the process works but I think I have spent $50k at least, constantly keep in touch with them, and still nothing. As opposed to my other AD who has offered me a White C Daytona, Blue skydweller, hulk, and the 126710blnr all in six months time if I bundle for them with a pm piece. Rather bundle and lose a couple thousand so I don't pay a crazy premium on the grey market then to lose thousands and be put on an imaginary list with the exact date of when you will get something you want.
Thanks! I mean I buy jewelry for my wife/daughters from blue nile currently. I can definitely change that. I'm checking out a boutique type AD over the weekend. Your other AD sounds like they've been good to you.

In terms of PM pieces... Does TT count? lol
Santiago32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 05:17 PM   #69
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks! I mean I buy jewelry for my wife/daughters from blue nile currently. I can definitely change that. I'm checking out a boutique type AD over the weekend. Your other AD sounds like they've been good to you.

In terms of PM pieces... Does TT count? lol
Yeah two tone also counts but its hit or miss depending on the model. If it's a datejust then you are definitely doing them a favor but if its a skydweller or daytona then it can be a different story.
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:02 AM   #70
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Buy a lot of jewelry and other watches. Once your reach the million $ mark you will be known as a "whale". Find out what sports he likes and send tickets to major events. If he plays golf, invite him to your club for a game from time to time. Find out when his birthday is and send him flowers and a hamper on that date. If you have a beach house or a chalet at a ski resort, lend them to him and his family. Make sure they are well stocked with food, drink and snacks before he arrives and have them serviced/cleaned every day. If you live near a major body of water, take him for a cruise in your boat.
And tell him the next 10 allocation pieces go directly to you or he can kiss this jet setting lifestyle goodbye.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:55 AM   #71
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you have got years then try to find a small Mom and Pop style AD with whom you could build a watch friendship over the years, it's all very unlikely to pan out but if u won't go grey then this is the only viable option.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 02:17 AM   #72
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWNL View Post
Start with buying a lot of other brands, jewellery and gold models ...
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 02:28 AM   #73
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Greetings... I used to live in the SF valley. It sounds like your going to have long and tough struggle ahead of you. I'd suggest looking for another stratedgy than Ben Bridge. It doesnt sound good. I wish i could help, sorry not trying to bum you out, maybe i should delete my post.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 09:26 AM   #74
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Greetings... I used to live in the SF valley. It sounds like your going to have long and tough struggle ahead of you. I'd suggest looking for another stratedgy than Ben Bridge. It doesnt sound good. I wish i could help, sorry not trying to bum you out, maybe i should delete my post.

No worries. Just curious. Living in SFV did you end up buying gray? I think Ben Bridge in the Topanga Mall is really the only AD around there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 January 2020, 11:03 AM   #75
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
No worries. Just curious. Living in SFV did you end up buying gray? I think Ben Bridge in the Topanga Mall is really the only AD around there.

O gosh when i lived there in Reseda i was more into hot cars, pistols and owned a pool hall in sepulveda. I was just getting into watches and started buying Seikos and Citizens. Not dogging on BB but just thinking on all of the negative member views I've read and knowing your in a pretty tough area for buying new at msrp. I really wish you the best in your quest and the best of timing possible but i think you may be climbing a long uphill battle without going grey..

Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 11:32 AM   #76
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’m in the No Way camp. I think by connecting with the right SA you might get the Sub within a reasonable time but going in asking for those four will result in an immediate snub.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 07:29 AM   #77
Cocopop
"TRF" Member

I feel trying to build a relationship with an AD is a combination of alot of factors. I will detail my experience and purchase history including the $ value.

For me i first went in to my local AD to get my Omega Seamaster serviced - Ref 2230.50.00
This cost about $1,200 NZD in November 2018

Once i received that back i took my Rootbeer GMT for a Service - Ref 16753
This cost about $2,200 NZD (had to replace some internal parts) in February 2019

After that i took my Tudor Snowflake in for a Service - Ref 94110
This cost around $4,000 NZD (it was in super bad condition and need ALOT of work, also got a new bracelet) in November 2019

Last week i went in and purchased a Rhodium DateJust 41 - Ref 126300 (11,950 NZD). While i was in store i tried on various watches from Rolex and Tudor , but this was a reference i had been after for a while. I mentioned that i really also liked the Tudor GMT.
After i had paid for the Datejust, the sales person, which i now presume was the sales manager, spoke to one of her colleagues, he then disappeared out the back and emerged with a Tudor GMT on Bracelet for me to look at, try on, and purchase if i so desired.
It was very unexpected, she didn't have to bring it out or even let me know they had it. Needless to say i bought that also (6,100 NZD).
While i was getting them both sized a man came in. The Sales Manager went out to the vault and came back with a Panda Daytona Ceramic. I did speak to him and he said he had been waiting a while for it, i don't know what his purchase history was, i just had a good look at his watch and congratulated him.

So i think for me , they can see from my service history that i am a watch enthusiast from the $$ i spent to restore 2 vintage watches. Also i never try on any watches i have no intention of actually buying, and when i say i'm after a certain model, if they have it, i buy it, i don't mess them around. I do converse with them about watches and current events and i do pop in once a month to see what they have in store. I'm assuming from the fact they bought a watch out of the vault for me to look at, and purchase, that i am to some degree, in there good books.
The Tudor Pepsi GMT on a bracelet sells itself, they don't need to offer it to anyone they don't want to.

Obviously you need money to play the game, otherwise its going to be very difficult to purchase any hot model with no purchase history, but i think being a genuine watch enthusiast, them knowing you wont flip the watches, and just being a nice person in general goes a long way. I haven't spent any money in the store i didn't want to spend, and i do plan on purchasing more watches from them in the future.

Anyway that's my experience for what its worth.
Cocopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 02:47 AM   #78
Rolexforthewin
"TRF" Member

Not all AD's are the same. I had only purchased one watch from my AD, which was a Panerai, and I was able to pick up a new Sub w/date and a new Batgirl. Since picking up the Batgirl in February, I've had two other AD's contact me offering the Batgirl that I have no purchase history from.
Rolexforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 03:38 AM   #79
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I have a feeling that a relationship with an AD will be of far less importance in the near future.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 09:10 PM   #80
carolina23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Ceramic WH
Purchased at MSRP everyone of your choices thru AD, So its possible thru a good relationship and Time...
carolina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 10:59 PM   #81
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
I think the good old rules will still apply especially with the luxury market. One has to build a relationship, I have picked up 4 Rolexes, 3 “hot” SS models only on the strength of the relationship with minimum wait times though most people who have bigger purchase histories have not been able it.

People work with people in the end. I’m sure there will be a sell off for a year or so...after that it will be BAU and new models and offerings will follow the same trend.

Showing up once in a while, being polite and showing a genuine interest in the product worked for me across two AD’s.

Morrison0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 12:45 AM   #82
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Patience is rewarded, gentlemen. A most humble thanks to Nick @ Mayors Jewellers in Tampa as this just arrived.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:13 AM   #83
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 12671
Quote:
So, I bought my first Rolex (preowned DJII 116334 blue,oyster,fluted). I love it and wear it everyday. Though, I want to a collection over time.

I want to build a relationship with my local AD. Closest AD is Ben Bridge in Thousand Oaks, CA.

How exactly do I build a relationship with them? I feel like If I chit chat then drop my wish list they will just laugh at me. If I go in there with my DJ they might ask where I bought it and when I say it's pre-owned I feel like they will look down at me. lol

I want to just say like I understand this will take years to build this collection but it's a journey for me and I'm willing to wait and get them piece by piece instead of buying pre-owned/grey market.

Here is the collection I want:

Submariner Black (116610LN)
Submariner Hulk (116610LV)
Daytona Panda (116500LN)
GMT Batman (126710BLNR)

Any advice/recommendations is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
If you have an AD in mind, then outline your list and see what they can do. I did that with my AD. I asked to be considered for a BLRO, and then I had my DJ serviced with them, and my watch collection appraised. 11 months later, I got offered my BLRO.

All you can do is ask, and all they can say is no. If they try to finesse you for more business that is up to you to decide.
Buckaroo Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:15 AM   #84
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Patience is rewarded, gentlemen. A most humble thanks to Nick @ Mayors Jewellers in Tampa as this just arrived.
Very nice, congratulations Steven!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:16 AM   #85
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:

Congratulations, Steven! Awesome
How long did you have to patiently wait?

Wear it in great health.
Old 1 April 2020, 02:47 AM   #86
Cool watch
Banned

Congratulations Steven!
Cool watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 03:11 AM   #87
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
To the OP’s question, there are no rules but here are some guidelines.

Best practices are frequent in person contact with many ADs. Talk watches with them. Make friends with the reps. Bring them business. Learn the management and owners. Make it be as much about building relationships with the people as it is purchasing the watches. If you go on a trip to an area they say they like to visit, bring them a souvenir and drop by after you get back to talk about the experience. Send them emails from time to time asking if they may have received anything you may like. Just be part of their lives and have them part of yours. And then, from time to time, you’ll get offered something you may want.
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 03:25 AM   #88
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Congratulations, Steven! Awesome
How long did you have to patiently wait?
A most humble thanks.

The wait was not too bad, a few years. To be fair, we moved many thousands of miles away a few years back and my previous ADs... one retired, the other had their partnership split up, so had to start a totally new AD relationship.

Nick @ Mayors Jewellers Tampa now really knows me well and late last year he surprised me with an OMEGA 50th 'Buzz butt' i didn't even know existed! At first i (stupidly) passed, then that night my wife came back from a trip, she took one look at the OMEGA 50th and said it is the 'me' of watches (am a big NASA fan and coder) and i should get it.

So yes, good AD relationships are worth it!

Quote:
Wear it in great health.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 10:04 AM   #89
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
A most humble thanks.

The wait was not too bad, a few years. To be fair, we moved many thousands of miles away a few years back and my previous ADs... one retired, the other had their partnership split up, so had to start a totally new AD relationship.

Nick @ Mayors Jewellers Tampa now really knows me well and late last year he surprised me with an OMEGA 50th 'Buzz butt' i didn't even know existed! At first i (stupidly) passed, then that night my wife came back from a trip, she took one look at the OMEGA 50th and said it is the 'me' of watches (am a big NASA fan and coder) and i should get it.

So yes, good AD relationships are worth it!

“A few years” wow! Hats off to your patience, Nick’s commitment, but especially, your wife for how thoughtfully she supports your love of watches.

All my Rolex have come from Mayors, their customer service is exceptional. I’m somewhere on their list for the panda as well, and hoping it’s not a few years of waiting!