The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 April 2024, 06:42 AM   #31
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
The table has now turned. Tell the SA to go pound sand unless he offered you a Daytona or a Pepsi
^^^^Bravo^^^^

In the real world, most think your insane to pay msrp for any Rolex.
Old 16 April 2024, 06:55 AM   #32
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Early during Covid FOMO madness I was told that if I asked I needed to be ready when the call came in and not to hesitate. I think this had more to do with the owner allocating a watch to me on the SA’s recommendation and the SA maintaining her credibility with the owner. Lots of SA’s probably had their eye on that watch. I was ready.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 06:58 AM   #33
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Hilarious! I declined a root beer and two weeks later got the watch for which I was actually waiting, Starbucks. I definitely would not yank the SA chain, like requesting to be on the list for a watch that you ultimately declined. I would not do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 08:09 AM   #34
ap1

This is funny. We can’t hold them accountable to deliver on our requests. Goes both ways. I’m constantly shown blinged out pieces and asked if I’m interested. I’m like nah, but where are the watches I’ve actually requested. It’s getting tired at this point. I’ve asked for a blue skyD for example. Instead they show me a dd40 platinum with diamond bezel. LOL, that’s 112k
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 08:40 AM   #35
Philadelphialawyer1
"TRF" Member

Ive turned down watches that I was offered that I never registered any interest for.
Philadelphialawyer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 09:02 AM   #36
KenRose
"TRF" Member

Curious (as I just bought the green OP41). Did you turn it down because you were waiting for the celebration dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmepeshy View Post
Have turned down a few over the years - PM Skydwellers, green OP41 and Explorer II come to mind.

Never been a problem, my SA understands that sometimes it isn’t the right watch at the right time. And saying at one point you’re interested in or like a particular watch, doesn’t mean you’re willing to spend thousands just because you’re given the opportunity to.
KenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 12:27 PM   #37
kb866
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15416CE
Change SA's. Putting your name on a "list" is not a commitment to purchase it. Just like it is not a commitment that the AD/SA will actually deliver on the watch.
kb866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 12:30 PM   #38
Drew.rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I turned down a steel and gold sub. I purchased a James Cameron from them previously. Didn’t seem like he cared. I told him I’m waiting for a GMT.

If anything, it conveys you know what you want and won’t suck up any watch thrown at you. Either way, buy what you want, not what they want you to buy.

126040 & 136660
Drew.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 12:57 PM   #39
thughes
"TRF" Member

With no spend history at the AD I expressed interest in a Sub in November last year. In December, I think it was, they called and told me they had a Sub Date if I wanted it. I told them thanks so much for thinking of me, but I have always wanted a No Date, so they should sell it to someone who really wants it. They were cool with it and I now have my No Date.
thughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 09:01 PM   #40
vatey
"TRF" Member

I was new to my AD, got myself in their waiting list , a week later, I got call from my SA for same model but bigger size, I went there to try it on and it did not work, I simply decline their offer. A month later, I revisited again and tried on preowned Daytona, but I was not planning to get it so I politely declined it again. One week later, I got another call that my watch was ready.

I guess, you might want to try another AD.
vatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 09:17 PM   #41
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I do not ask for, nor do I negotiate prices on watches that I am not going to buy. If you asked for a watch and the AD produces it, you should buy it. If your situation has changed financially and you can no longer complete a purchase you should contact the AD and ask them to pause your request. If you no longer want the watch then the same thing. A little courtesy goes a long way. I know many will say the AD's are not courteous but this is not about them, it is about me and how I conduct myself and business. Just my thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 09:25 PM   #42
Eyas
"TRF" Member

Over the years I've turned down several from my AD both Rolex and Patek ... but bought a lot more than I turned down. My AD recognises that I'll want to try on the actual piece before committing as for something like a Nautilus or a brand new Rolex release they won't have the actual piece in the safe.
My AD at least is interested in long term relationships and doesn't seem at all bothered if I turn down a piece as there's likely to be someone else that wants the piece. Like all all of these interactions it's going to be down to the AD and your relationship with them. Of course if I kept expressing interest and then turned loads of them down I'd expect the AD to start thinking I wasn't serious but if you have a good purchasing record and a good reason for declining can't see there being a problem.
Eyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 09:30 PM   #43
Submariner2019
"TRF" Member

Hi OP,
In my experience if I’m on the list and there is a reason I can no longer afford the watch I very quickly call my AD and tell them to take me off the list.
I had this happen my me earlier this year. My relatively new car had a catastrophic engine failure and I ended up having to buy a new car. After the purchase was complete I phoned my AD and told her the circumstances and that I’d have to wait until next year. She understood completely. She also knows that when I ask to be put on the list, that I’m serious and ready to buy immediately should I get the call.
Submariner2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 09:30 PM   #44
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew.rob View Post
I turned down a steel and gold sub. I purchased a James Cameron from them previously. Didn’t seem like he cared. I told him I’m waiting for a GMT.

If anything, it conveys you know what you want and won’t suck up any watch thrown at you. Either way, buy what you want, not what they want you to buy.

126040 & 136660
I’m sorta thinking their strategy could be to offer you something else to see if you bite. If not then it’ll confirm your actual interest and readiness to purchase. It could also give clues that you aren’t just a flipper.
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 11:34 PM   #45
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
Been seeing a lot of people declining calls/offers from the AD recently. For those of you who have done that, what was the AD reaction? I did that once and the SA got really mad and told me going on the “list” was essentially an ironclad commitment by me to purchase immediately if ever offered the watch, and not accepting would put the SA in an embarrassing spot so I would never be called again. Anyone else get the same?
I think the SA "list" just made up.. if you did not purchase the watch being offered, someone one else will. There will always be a buyer..

The SA just mad because he or she did not earn the sales commission.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 01:50 AM   #46
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
This was always my thought - just call the next person on the list

Maybe, just maybe there’s a list within the list. Your SA was up, had a chance to move that particular piece and if not, it goes to another SA to move it.

No one really knows what goes on behind the scenes, but we all can agree, buying a Rolex is, at best frustrating, more often aggravating and for some, it really sucks.

Nevertheless, there is no excuse for the SA to be so rude.
Old 17 April 2024, 02:58 AM   #47
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I’d be annoyed if someone asked for a watch, I went to the store manager and argued that this person should get allocated the watch only for them to say no.

Obviously things change between asking and the offer. But I wouldn’t ask for a watch unless I was pretty sure I’d by it.

OP, how long ago did you last express interest?
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 03:46 AM   #48
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Sure I've declined watches before. Usually because I found it somewhere else first or went grey. Depends on how fast they get what you're looking for I guess. In my case it was like six months later.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote