The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Pick One to Own
116500LN (White) 287 48.64%
126500LN (White) 303 51.36%
Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 July 2024, 11:05 AM   #211
watcheeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
That video measures the thickness of a 126 that had case protection stickers on. They’re pretty thick so don’t take that measurement as accurate. Other sites have measured both models and found the new one thinner.
The new reference has and shorter end link to endlink measurement than the old one since the design angles then down to fit smaller wrists easier
It would be biased data to take measurements focusing only on areas thinner than the 116500.

Specifically

Data from the outside of the left lug to the outside of the right lug
Data from the outside of the upper lug to the outside of the lower lug

will not be found.

There are still all kinds of other data that should be considered if you want to compare figures.
watcheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 11:14 AM   #212
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Love that, in the grand scheme of things, minute differences elicit some passionate responses from folks at TRF. True enthusiasts!

The 11 and 12 White are both great watches, and there is no “wrong” answer. As stated a couple of times, I personally prefer the 11 White, and so do another 49% of folks. I am also on the list for a 12 White from my AD.

I wonder how polling would look if we made this between the 11 and 12 Black. I’d venture a guess that the 12 Black would come out ahead by a larger margin versus the 11 Black when compared to this poll.

I know I would vote 12 Black, simply because on the Black dial I much prefer the contrast with the bezel ring. Should we do that poll - 12 Black versus 11 Black?

If interest, someone else spin it up.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 03:50 PM   #213
Redsub71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
What do you mean "replaced by dials" ?

Are you saying when the 12 gets a dial refresh, it'll be a masterpiece?
Sure! Look at LeMans, it's a masterpiece with that dial. Today, 12 is a draft copy of the original.
Redsub71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 04:24 PM   #214
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcheeze View Post
It would be biased data to take measurements focusing only on areas thinner than the 116500.

Specifically

Data from the outside of the left lug to the outside of the right lug
Data from the outside of the upper lug to the outside of the lower lug

will not be found.

There are still all kinds of other data that should be considered if you want to compare figures.
I’m only talking about the 12mm thickness of the watch from the dial to the caseback
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 04:48 PM   #215
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Love that, in the grand scheme of things, minute differences elicit some passionate responses from folks at TRF. True enthusiasts!

The 11 and 12 White are both great watches, and there is no “wrong” answer. As stated a couple of times, I personally prefer the 11 White, and so do another 49% of folks. I am also on the list for a 12 White from my AD.

I wonder how polling would look if we made this between the 11 and 12 Black. I’d venture a guess that the 12 Black would come out ahead by a larger margin versus the 11 Black when compared to this poll.

I know I would vote 12 Black, simply because on the Black dial I much prefer the contrast with the bezel ring. Should we do that poll - 12 Black versus 11 Black?

This is a great idea. I also would love to see those results. Please start the thread! I would be delighted to participate
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 04:50 PM   #216
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsub71 View Post
Sure! Look at LeMans, it's a masterpiece with that dial. Today, 12 is a draft copy of the original.
Besides the LeMans, what other dial designs would be considered a masterpiece for the modern SS line? I wonder what the next generation would look like
Old 3 July 2024, 04:51 PM   #217
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
This side by side is so awesome
Old 3 July 2024, 05:26 PM   #218
Redsub71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
This side by side is so awesome
The same watch Enthusiasts would have preferred a novelty and not a copy. That's what you hear everywhere about the new Daytona.
Old 3 July 2024, 05:52 PM   #219
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

The only thing I don't like on the new model is the weirdly big crown guards.

That being said, I wouldn't kick either out of bed. Most of the time they get posted on the forum I can't even tell if it is an 11 or 12 at first glance.
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 07:17 PM   #220
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The same watch Enthusiasts would have preferred a novelty and not a copy. That's what you hear everywhere about the new Daytona.
More drivel, good grief.

Literally, the only person saying this about the new Daytona is you.

Everyone knows Rolex does slow evolution with small incremental changes.
Old 3 July 2024, 09:00 PM   #221
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
In psychoanalysis, the narcissism of small differences is the idea that the more a relationship or community shares commonalities, the more likely the people in it are to engage in interpersonal feuds and mutual ridicule because of hypersensitivity to minor differences.

Coined by Freud. People haven't changed in 100 years for sure.
Old 3 July 2024, 09:13 PM   #222
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are the only one saying that. Stop generalizing. We enthusiasts love the new ref.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 09:15 PM   #223
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great idea! But please take real pictures and quality shots and not renders where the exact proportion / watch can be quite different from the real watch.
Old 3 July 2024, 09:17 PM   #224
karleone
"TRF" Member

116500 vs 126500 in black

Old 3 July 2024, 09:24 PM   #225
Redsub71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
You are the only one saying that. Stop generalizing. We enthusiasts love the new ref.
You're getting nervous, the truth hurts. You prefer the new one because as you wrote, they didn't deliver you the white. Everyone preferred white, no one wanted black.
Old 3 July 2024, 09:28 PM   #226
Redsub71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
More drivel, good grief.

Literally, the only person saying this about the new Daytona is you.

Everyone knows Rolex does slow evolution with small incremental changes.
Marketing takes you for a walk on a leash
Old 3 July 2024, 09:32 PM   #227
watcheeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Few people would be able to predict the "ever-increasing number of scratches" that will remain on the metal bezel ring the longer it is used.
In other words, the "current rating" for an 116500 or even a 126500 would be merely a temporary rating.
Old 3 July 2024, 09:51 PM   #228
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Few people would be able to predict the "ever-increasing number of scratches" that will remain on the metal bezel ring the longer it is used.
In other words, the "current rating" for an 116500 or even a 126500 would be merely a temporary rating.

Pretty much all watches have a metal bezel trim.

My 4520V, 321, 126500, the ring around all my seamasters etc is scratched.

It's intuitively obvious to even a casual observer that a polished metal ring is going to scratch.
Old 3 July 2024, 09:57 PM   #229
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're getting nervous, the truth hurts. You prefer the new one because as you wrote, they didn't deliver you the white. Everyone preferred white, no one wanted black.
I never wrote that. When I bought my 116500, I had the choice between the white and black dials, and I chose black with no regrets. For the 126500, I was on the list for the white dial. I received calls from my AD twice for the black dial, but I declined both times as I was waiting for the white. Apart from spreading nonsense about copies, you’re not contributing much to this conversation.
Old 3 July 2024, 10:01 PM   #230
watcheeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
My 4520V, 321, 126500, the ring around all my seamasters etc is scratched.
I would like to see the 126500 metal ring from various angles to see how scratched it is.
This is one of the reasons why I personally am hesitant to purchase a model with a "metal bezel ring frame". The 116500 does not have a metal ring.
These may have something to do with your personality such as how you usually treat your watch.
Old 3 July 2024, 10:14 PM   #231
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I also had a choice between white and black dial. Complete choice - I chose black.

The 116500 will be a future classic. Both versions are great - just a matter of preference. My guess is that those who project some sort of “you must have settled” are overly invested in whatever they selected. Emotionally or otherwise. It is hard to see how else someone would assume a small amount of $ would dissuade someone from getting what they want at this price point…
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 10:16 PM   #232
Redsub71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
I never wrote that. When I bought my 116500, I had the choice between the white and black dials, and I chose black with no regrets. For the 126500, I was on the list for the white dial. I received calls from my AD twice for the black dial, but I declined both times as I was waiting for the white. Apart from spreading nonsense about copies, you’re not contributing much to this conversation.
You are humiliating yourself with your own hands. I will conclude now
Old 3 July 2024, 10:19 PM   #233
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is funny because the best part of the 126 version of the black is that the ring provides an easy point of contrast in photos. So for those who buy to instagram their stuff (maybe to pay for it? LOL) the 126 is an upgrade. It allows for lazier photographers to get better shots. Of course if you know how to take pictures, you can get a more natural image of either - and in-person (and in well-taken photos) the 116 is nicer looking. It isn’t some dramatic difference, of course. To 99% of people they look identical. But the 116 has better balance and that is why I think it will be a classic. This is especially apparent when comparing them in-person.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 10:43 PM   #234
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

[Poll] 116500LN (White) or 126500LN (White)

Quote:
I would like to see the 126500 metal ring from various angles to see how scratched it is.
This is one of the reasons why I personally am hesitant to purchase a model with a "metal bezel ring frame". The 116500 does not have a metal ring.
These may have something to do with your personality such as how you usually treat your watch.

You would be limiting your watch choices to pretty much one though. Thankfully 116500 is a good one. If this is your key concern the choice is easy. Get the 116500 and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

You can only see the superficial scratches with the right lighting angle or magnification. In reality the metal bezel aesthetic is beautiful on both 126500 and 321 in real life.
Old 3 July 2024, 10:45 PM   #235
illiguy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3 July 2024, 10:54 PM   #236
illiguy

Quote:
In psychoanalysis, the narcissism of small differences is the idea that the more a relationship or community shares commonalities, the more likely the people in it are to engage in interpersonal feuds and mutual ridicule because of hypersensitivity to minor differences.

Coined by Freud. People haven't changed in 100 years for sure.
Well said! A largely homogenous Rolex watch community will fight to the death over a 1 mm case redesign.
Old 3 July 2024, 10:56 PM   #237
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You would be limiting your watch choices to pretty much one though. Thankfully 116500 is a good one. If this is your key concern the choice is easy. Get the 116500 and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

You can only see the superficial scratches with the right lighting angle or magnification. In reality the metal bezel aesthetic is beautiful on both 126500 and 321 in real life.
Metal ring also helps to protect the ceramic bezel from knocks, as ceramic is known to be pretty resistant to scratches but is however brittle. Metal ring is also a nod to earlier Daytona designs.
Greg.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 11:01 PM   #238
watcheeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
It is funny because the best part of the 126 version of the black is that the ring provides an easy point of contrast in photos. So for those who buy to instagram their stuff (maybe to pay for it? LOL) the 126 is an upgrade. It allows for lazier photographers to get better shots. Of course if you know how to take pictures, you can get a more natural image of either - and in-person (and in well-taken photos) the 116 is nicer looking. It isn’t some dramatic difference, of course. To 99% of people they look identical. But the 116 has better balance and that is why I think it will be a classic. This is especially apparent when comparing them in-person.
You're right, it looks the same to 99% of people.
I think the 126500 looks flat overall, perhaps due to the 126500's huge case.
On the other hand, the 116500, coupled with the slimmer case, has a moderate "3D" look overall, and the overall balance is very appealing.
My personality would put me off the 126500's best feature, the metal rings, to the point that they will be scratched in the future.
Maybe this is because I know that the original role of the metal ring was introduced to protect the plastic bezel.

Quote:

In fact, I have had the opportunity to see 116520s with "scratched metal bezels" in the past, and every time I saw one, I was heartbroken.
Considering that if it were a big scuff it would be more noticeable, the 116500 with the full ceramic bezel looks attractive to me.
If you get a chance somewhere in the future, please show me the light scratches on the metal bezel ring of the 126500.
Old 3 July 2024, 11:16 PM   #239
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You're right, it looks the same to 99% of people.
I think the 126500 looks flat overall, perhaps due to the 126500's huge case.
On the other hand, the 116500, coupled with the slimmer case, has a moderate "3D" look overall, and the overall balance is very appealing.
My personality would put me off the 126500's best feature, the metal rings, to the point that they will be scratched in the future.
Maybe this is because I know that the original role of the metal ring was introduced to protect the plastic bezel.

In fact, I have had the opportunity to see 116520s with "scratched metal bezels" in the past, and every time I saw one, I was heartbroken.
Considering that if it were a big scuff it would be more noticeable, the 116500 with the full ceramic bezel looks attractive to me.
If you get a chance somewhere in the future, please show me the light scratches on the metal bezel ring of the 126500.

Talking about rings only... not that bag of ass entirely metal bezel
Old 3 July 2024, 11:17 PM   #240
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.A View Post
Metal ring also helps to protect the ceramic bezel from knocks, as ceramic is known to be pretty resistant to scratches but is however brittle. Metal ring is also a nod to earlier Daytona designs.

I like it. Looks like a ceramic zenith in a 509 case to me.