The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 September 2016, 07:16 PM   #31
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterwatchit View Post
Just curious, but what's the consensus on which type of buckle is more secure? Many thanks!
I think most people will say that when taking the watch on and off, the deployant clasp is more secure as there is less risk of the watch being dropped. However when the watch is already worn on the wrist, they are both quite secure.

It is interesting to read people's preferences and wrist comfort experiences of the tang buckle vs the deployant clasp. I guess it is a good thing that Patek makes both.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 12:59 AM   #32
Socal to az
Banned

I don't know about secure but my deployant on my 5905 is awesome! Ridiculously perfect fit. Especially since I moved it in one notch.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 01:19 AM   #33
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
I don't know about secure but my deployant on my 5905 is awesome! Ridiculously perfect fit. Especially since I moved it in one notch.
It's definately more secure than a tang whether on the wrist or putting it on. Ask any pickpocket
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 01:20 AM   #34
Socal to az
Banned

True that. It's a whole different watch now with the deployant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 09:27 PM   #35
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
Another way of looking at it is with having simpler watches like say a ref. 6000, having a deployant makes the watch more worth it and justifies the cost a bit easier

More value for money is never a bad thing, but i do get that having a deployment clasp in any model is much preferred by most
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 10:43 PM   #36
KarlS
Banned

My subjective belief is that on some of the heavier watches like 5905 etc a bit of extra weight on the opposite side helps balance on the wrist.
Old 5 September 2016, 11:53 PM   #37
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan17 View Post
Another way of looking at it is with having simpler watches like say a ref. 6000, having a deployant makes the watch more worth it and justifies the cost a bit easier

More value for money is never a bad thing, but i do get that having a deployment clasp in any model is much preferred by most
Modern Calatarvas like the 6000 and the 5153 have the deployant, but it was left out on the 5227, which I thought was unusual at the 5227's price point. I think the deployant is definitely nice to have.
Old 6 September 2016, 01:21 AM   #38
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Modern Calatarvas like the 6000 and the 5153 have the deployant, but it was left out on the 5227, which I thought was unusual at the 5227's price point. I think the deployant is definitely nice to have.
Maybe in order to show the officer case and "hidden" mechanism for opening the caseback better they opted no deployant for the 5227, but i do agree at that price point it demands a deployant.

the 5153 got one, why not the 5227
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 11:29 AM   #39
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan17 View Post
Maybe in order to show the officer case and "hidden" mechanism for opening the caseback better they opted no deployant for the 5227, but i do agree at that price point it demands a deployant.

the 5153 got one, why not the 5227
I agree that it doesn't make sense that both the 5153 and the 5227 have an officer's caseback, but only the 5153 has the deployant clasp. I wonder if Patek wanted a more classic look when they introduced the 5227 with the tang buckle in 2013.
Old 6 September 2016, 11:33 AM   #40
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
It's definately more secure than a tang whether on the wrist or putting it on. Ask any pickpocket
I don't know any pickpockets to query, but I'll take the counterpoint on this one. Once on the wrist, i believe the standard "tang" buckle to be the more secure, by far.

Even a well made deployant can pop open unexpectedly, leaving the watch loose on the wrist. I've had it happen many times with an older Rolex bracelet. I've never had a tang buckle spontaneously open - not sure that it's even possible - my lack of experience with pickpockets notwithstanding.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 11:34 AM   #41
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My subjective belief is that on some of the heavier watches like 5905 etc a bit of extra weight on the opposite side helps balance on the wrist.
Agree with this 100%
Old 6 September 2016, 12:41 PM   #42
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I don't know any pickpockets to query, but I'll take the counterpoint on this one. Once on the wrist, i believe the standard "tang" buckle to be the more secure, by far.

Even a well made deployant can pop open unexpectedly, leaving the watch loose on the wrist. I've had it happen many times with an older Rolex bracelet. I've never had a tang buckle spontaneously open - not sure that it's even possible - my lack of experience with pickpockets notwithstanding.
Exactly. If the deployant pops open it's unlikely to fall off your wrist as your post confirms or you would have mentioned it crashing to the ground. If the tang is loose it's gone! In fairness a good pickpocket is as capable with a tang as a fold over. I have had neither a tang nor deployant unlatch! Common sense (to me) is that the deployant gives added security putting it on and if it unhinged.
Old 6 September 2016, 01:15 PM   #43
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly. If the deployant pops open it's unlikely to fall off your wrist as your post confirms or you would have mentioned it crashing to the ground. If the tang is loose it's gone! In fairness a good pickpocket is as capable with a tang as a fold over. I have had neither a tang nor deployant unlatch! Common sense (to me) is that the deployant gives added security putting it on and if it unhinged.
Allow me to clarify. I've not had either the tang or the deployant fall of my wrist. I have had the deployant spontaneously unlatch, leaving the watch loose on the wrist. No, it hasn't fallen, but if my arm was in motion as the deployant released it could certainly happen. I don't think it's possible for a standard buckle to spontaneously open, so for that reason I'd favor the tang.

I doubt anyone would dispute the added safety of the deployant when putting it on the wrist, although I've never felt particularly insecure in that process.

As for pickpockets, I know none. I'll have to defer to your experience in that regard.
Old 30 July 2019, 06:11 PM   #44
AlphaG
"TRF" Member

Resurrecting this thread to share my experience. My three month old 5905P came with the tang buckle, which I thought was nice. Looked simple and was easy enough to adjust. I was always wary of the possibility of dropping the watch while wearing and removing, so made sure to be VERY careful each and every time. I loved it, but always felt that the watch was top-heavy and thought that a weightier strap, maybe a platinum deployant, would enhance the feel.

I picked up a cheap eBay deployant from some seller in Greece to try out. $100 is a cheap way to try it, but it was very poor quality compared to $$$$ that I would have to spend for a Patek strap and deployant. I wouldn’t recommend that cheap eBay solution on your valued watch! It didn’t fit well and didn’t really provide the counterweight that I was hoping for, but it was certainly not heavy platinum either.

Anyway, one day my son, who is college-age, put it on after I suggested he try it on. I am only holding on to it now for him to wear as the next generation after all! He loved it. I loved that he loved it... He kept it on for the day. I could see him smile while looking at the watch from time-to-time that day. Later he was going to go out with his friends. I didn’t have the heart to ask for the watch back. I just told him to be very careful and not break my watch!

Of course, Murphy’s Law struck. He didn’t come home until 1-2AM and I was asleep. He came into my bedroom... “Uhhhh dad”. I knew what was coming. He dropped the watch trying to take it off and the impact on the tile floor popped the case back off. I aligned it and popped it back on, but the movement appeared to be damaged. The balance wheel was not spinning. I didn’t sleep that night. Brought it to the AD I bought it from the next day.

So... it’s in for service/repair now, well before I had thought it would need it. At least for this situation, a deployant would have prevented the drop. It would be no excuse not to be careful, but the drop WOULD have been prevented. Could I have impressed upon my son how careful he should have been? I thought I had done what I needed to without giving a tutorial, but some lessons need to be learned the hard way... for the both of us! He did feel very bad about the whole thing.

I have asked for a deployant and hopefully it will be ready around the time the watch is sent back to me after repair. I have no idea how much it will cost but I feel it will be worth it. I think I just feel like a real world example of a mishap like this might help someone decide to go deployant if they have any potential concerns. If it was just me wearing the watch, a tang buckle would most likely be fine. But now, I need the extra insurance to help against the unexpected!
AlphaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 09:07 PM   #45
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

The Tang buckle feels better on my small wrist of around 6.25". My problem with the deployant is that it's a single-foldover, so it goes too far up around one side of my wrist.

I wish Patek offered a 2nd deployant option in a double-foldover or "butterfly" format, like some other brands do (e.g. the Glashutte Original deployant clasp). I find that double-foldover butterfly deployants seem to work better on smaller wrists.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 09:37 PM   #46
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
The Tang buckle feels better on my small wrist of around 6.25". My problem with the deployant is that it's a single-foldover, so it goes too far up around one side of my wrist.

I wish Patek offered a 2nd deployant option in a double-foldover or "butterfly" format, like some other brands do (e.g. the Glashutte Original deployant clasp). I find that double-foldover butterfly deployants seem to work better on smaller wrists.
Try popping your watch on round the opposite way - if it feels better then swop the strap round.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 01:05 AM   #47
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Try popping your watch on round the opposite way - if it feels better then swop the strap round.
Thanks for the tip, I tried that a long time ago in the AD store, but I think I値l try it again next time I知 there. I壇 like to get a Patek deployant, but I値l need to make sure it will be at least as comfortable as the regular Tang buckle which works fine in my case. Thanks again.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 01:17 AM   #48
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I tried that a long time ago in the AD store, but I think I値l try it again next time I知 there. I壇 like to get a Patek deployant, but I値l need to make sure it will be at least as comfortable as the regular Tang buckle which works fine in my case. Thanks again.
Also worth remembering, (unlike I think all other brands), the deployant clasp is designed for a different length strap to the tang buckle and also for the strap to be fitted round the opposite way on the watch to the tang (but still might be more comfortable switched back as mentioned).
Old 31 July 2019, 01:48 AM   #49
ap1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I feel the same way. Immediately put my 5170 on tang for a much better fit. 6.5 here. I almost always opt for tang. Had an old panerai with butterfly that also fit me, that may be only one that worked
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 08:09 AM   #50
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think the tang buckle is more secure. The outer clasp of any deployant is the weak link. Its held on to the folding part by a tiny spring bar. At least PP still uses through and through holes for better hold, but the bar can still fail and the whole strap comes apart, with the folding clasp on the short strap and the long strap with just the outer clasp in it. This is the reason the high watches still come on tang buckles.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 08:49 AM   #51
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I think the tang buckle is more secure. The outer clasp of any deployant is the weak link. Its held on to the folding part by a tiny spring bar. At least PP still uses through and through holes for better hold, but the bar can still fail and the whole strap comes apart, with the folding clasp on the short strap and the long strap with just the outer clasp in it. This is the reason the high watches still come on tang buckles.
Are the spring bars at the case stronger?
Old 31 July 2019, 12:31 PM   #52
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I never mess with the original design that Patek creates; if it comes with pin and buckle leave it alone , same with the calatrava clasp. I feel like I am doing some kind of after market crap ; I know is not but thats how I feel about it.

Cheers
I agree too. I also find the tang to have an added benefit of contributing to the watch being more understated.
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote